SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2010, 16:57   #1
WiskyT
Malcontent

"Custom" Mold

I have been using my Lee 175TC six cavity for about a year or so I guess. I've cast several thousand bullets with it and they shoot great. They weigh 180 grains with the range scrap I use.

But, I have tons of 165 grain Ranger T's and SXT's. I also don't have any real need for the extra 15 grains my cast bullets carry around and wanted to put them on a diet. I thought about hunting down a machine shop or sending the mold out to the Eric hollow point guy. A combination of laziness and stinginess has resulted in me using the mold as Lee intended it.

What I didn't know was that becoming a soccer dad had certain benefits. One of my fellow soccer dads is a machinist. He works in a shop that builds high end racing engines. I asked him about it and he told me it would be a piece of cake.

So, using a little geometry, I guesstimated that 0.050" would have to go. He got it back to me the next day, today, and it looks great. Hopefully this week I'll get a chance to fire up the foundry and see how much they weigh, and then how they shoot. I don't care if they are a little over or under, I just wanted something a bit lighter.

The Ranger 165's do 1050 out of my G27, and I get close to that with the 180's with Unique. So, I figure I can get basically the same velocity with the lighter bullet and have lower pressure. Lower pressure is always good. The 180's hit a bit higher than the 165's too, so hopefully the point of impact will be the same with the cast 165's and the Ranger 165's. We shall see.

I think a max load for 180's will give me the velocity I want and be within the pressure limits with room to spare. Load data for lighter cast bullets is rare, I haven't seen any.

Any thoughts or data regarding having this mold decked down are appreciated

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 18:45   #2
WiskyT
Malcontent

I casted a dozen or so just to see how they looked, and weighed. I couldn't do a proper casting session since I'm taking care of some other things right now, but I just had to knock a few out to eyeball. They 165 on the nose. I'm sure Jack will come in here soon and demand a full evaluation from the National Bureau of Standards, but he'll just have to suck on an egg. My scale has been calibrated by none other than Yoyodyne Propulsion. If it's good enough for Dr. Lizzardo, it's good enough for me.

I asked my buddy to remove "about" 0.050" since I didn't want to look picky. I told him if he removed a little less that would be okay. He laughed and said he could hit whatever I wanted with the compueter controled thingies they have. He told me he take off 0.047" and see how it looks.

So the new bullets measure exactly 0.047" less than the standard ones, the mold works great, and they weigh exactly 165. Now all I have to do is cast up thousand or so and see if I can hit anything with them.

Old 11-15-2010, 18:49   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

So now he's your buddy, huh? In your first post you told us you just met him at your son's ballet recital.

You ain't gonna make it as a criminal, you can't keep your story straight even when you've got it written right in front of you.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.

Last edited by GioaJack; 11-15-2010 at 18:49..
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 20:08   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

I know Jack has been lying awake at night waiting for a range report on these bullets. I casted up about 500 the other day, too many to fit in a 1# plastic food container, sized and lubed them with liquid alox, and loaded up 100 or so.

I went to the range and brought the chrony along. The 180 grain original bullet did 940fps out of the Glock 27 with 5.0 Universal. The "new and improved" 165 grain bullet did 970 with the same powder charge. I managed to get most of them on a paper plate at 25 yards off hand. So they do fly straight and basically go where they are aimed.

I think they will do better with a lighter charge of Bullseye though. It's too early to say. This Universal is supposed to be like Unique, but the data for it, and my results with it, make it seem more like 231. I think it's faster burning than at least I was lead to believe. I think it was at it's limit with the load I was using with my cast bullets. Maybe not in terms of chamber pressure, but in terms of accuracy. Oh well, nearly a full pound of it was in my father's loading room, he apparently didn't have any use for it either, so I'll finish it up since I'm too lazy to empty the Dillon measure and reset it with something else.

I'll try a G22 with that load and maybe 4.5 and see if I can get the group size down. If that doesn't do it, I'll use 3.5 or so of Bullseye or 5.2ish of Unique. I'll see how they do with a warmer load of Unique to get to the 1050 I want from the G27.

It's easier to evaluate accuracy at our indoor range. At the outdoor range, like today, I have to call the line safe to evaluate the targets. At the indoor, you just hit the button and the target comes back to you.

Old 11-21-2010, 20:46   #5
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I could have died from sleep depravation waiting for your stupid report. After all this buildup to the magical new mould you end up with a whopping 30 fps more. You can spit faster than that.

Before you post another range report please learn how to shoot so we can actually determine the new magic bullets potential.

I will be asleep while you try to accomplish this task.

Sincerely,
Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:22   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
So, using a little geometry, I guesstimated that 0.050" would have to go.
And you give me a hard time for measuring stuff.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 11-22-2010 at 09:23..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 16:55   #7
fredj338

Sounds like a success. I use a Lyman RNFP that does a bit over 170gr w/ ww alloy. Your 5.2gr of Unique should hit just over 1000fps.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 18:38   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I could have died from sleep depravation waiting for your stupid report. After all this buildup to the magical new mould you end up with a whopping 30 fps more. You can spit faster than that.

Before you post another range report please learn how to shoot so we can actually determine the new magic bullets potential.

I will be asleep while you try to accomplish this task.

Sincerely,
Jack
Actually, I just checked my scraps of paper that were in the car last night, and the, velocity of the two weights, with the same charge of Universal, are identicle. I wanted a lighter bullet to save lead. I've reduced the lead usage by 8% to be in comportmant with Al Gore regulation 253 (a) of Title 17USC.

Old 11-22-2010, 18:40   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
And you give me a hard time for measuring stuff.
I measure stuff that matters. Not the amount of oxxidation on the tip of each bullet to better calibrate COAL

Old 11-22-2010, 18:49   #10
Colorado4Wheel

You do that!!!! Thats freaking nuts.
Old 11-22-2010, 18:57   #11
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Sounds like a success. I use a Lyman RNFP that does a bit over 170gr w/ ww alloy. Your 5.2gr of Unique should hit just over 1000fps.
That's what I figure. I'm going to load some at 5.5 Universal and see if that gets me to my target velocity with reasonable accuracy. After the Universal is gone in a few weeks, I'll probably settle on something similar with Unique. I'll shoot it side by side with the Ranger 165 and 165 training ball I have to see if the POI is the same, and if the subtle differences in velocity change the "feel" of the recoil an appreciable amount (doubtful).
Old 11-22-2010, 19:15   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
That's what I figure. I'm going to load some at 5.5 Universal and see if that gets me to my target velocity with reasonable accuracy. After the Universal is gone in a few weeks, I'll probably settle on something similar with Unique. I'll shoot it side by side with the Ranger 165 and 165 training ball I have to see if the POI is the same, and if the subtle differences in velocity change the "feel" of the recoil an appreciable amount (doubtful).
I get great accuracy w/ that bullet over Unique or WSF running around 1000fps.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote