Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:01   #1
GlockMonk

Case trimmer for 44 mag.

Howdy all, I'm just getting into reloading the 44 mag for my Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel.

I'm using Missouri Bullet Company's 240gr Keith bullets at 18 brinnell, Alliant 2400, Winchester LPP, and assorted once fired brass.

The once fired brass that I've collected so far all vary in case lengths. I'm thinking, it might create a problem when I seat the bullet, as the case must be crimped exactly at the cannelure of the bullet. And the cannelure may not line up exactly with the case mouth, since the brass varies in length.

If so which economical trimmer do you recommend. I'll only be reloading about 100 rounds at a time, so high volume is not neccessary.

Thanks in advance,

GlockMonk
GlockMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:50   #2
frankt

If you want to trim them, I would recommend the Lee hand held case trimmer and .44 case length gauge.

I can also tell you that in 30+ years of reloading I have never trimmed any pistol case.

Good Luck

Semper Fi
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 15:04   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Hey Pye, How's it going?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 16:21   #4
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

I'm with Frankt - there are a whole lot of things in reloading in which require or you can befefit from detail, but trimming handgun cases is not one of them. Any amount of time you spend doing that is time you'll never get back.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 16:30   #5
GLShooter

Send a message via AIM to GLShooter
I'd step up and buy the Forster Trimmer set up. Just starting out in reloading leaves a lot of life down the road. I bought mine in 1976 and it is still trimming those cases onesey twosey for me.

I have bigger more expensive powered Gracey's and Dillon's but the Forster steps up for things like the 6 PPC or any revolver like your 44 mags and some custom 357/38 Special stuff. I have a power adapter for the Forster that is readily available now and they are a great help even on 100cases..

Greg
Old 11-15-2010, 20:29   #6
GlockMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Hey Pye, How's it going?
Hey Mitch, how are ya? I'm playing with the 44 mag, while waiting for the LCR 357

GlockMonk
Old 11-15-2010, 20:39   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMonk View Post
Hey Mitch, how are ya? I'm playing with the 44 mag, while waiting for the LCR 357

GlockMonk

Doing well my friend...Ahh you ordered one huh?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 20:44   #8
GlockMonk

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I never bother to trim the 9mm, and 45acp, but then again, they don't have cannelures, and do not require crimping either

GlockMonk
Old 11-15-2010, 20:58   #9
GlockMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Doing well my friend...Ahh you ordered one huh?
Yep, I should really start reloading the 357, instead of the 44 mag. But that means I have to convert my 9mm set up; I just couldn't do it

GlockMonk
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50   #10
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankt View Post
If you want to trim them, I would recommend the Lee hand held case trimmer and .44 case length gauge.

I can also tell you that in 30+ years of reloading I have never trimmed any pistol case.

Good Luck
Trimming is a bit more important on roll crimped rounds. And, a good crimp is essential on large magnum rounds. It's a good step to take with unknown brass. OP will only have to do it once. It will even up the cases and ensure a consistent crimp, less chance of damaged brass/projectiles, and the best accuracy.

After cases are trimmed, it would be a good ideas to chamfer/debur the case mouth. A Lee trimmer is probably the cheapest option for this one time operation.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:56   #11

I don't trim auto cases but I do trim revolver cases that I pick up at the range so that the roll crimps are firm and uniform. Lee hand trimmer is the most economical way to go. You can attach the shell holder assembly onto a drill and speed things up a little.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33   #12
GlockMonk

Thank you all for confirming the need to trim for large magnum revolver rounds for secure, and a uniform crimp. I shot my 44 mag reloads last week, and after the 4th shot, the bullet in the number 6th chamber was half way out of the case

I'll be ordering the Lee trimmer today, thanks.

GlockMonk
Old 11-16-2010, 13:58   #13
The Machinist
No Compromise

I've only ever used the RCBS trimmer, but I'm thrilled with it, for sure. I've done a lot of .223 trimming, and a a bit of .44 mag, as well. I find the crimping process much more spiritually fulfilling, knowing that all my cases are the same length.

Reloading
Old 11-17-2010, 14:44   #14
MrOldLude

Quote:
I shot my 44 mag reloads last week, and after the 4th shot, the bullet in the number 6th chamber was half way out of the case
Then I think you might be flaring/expanding the cases a little too aggressively. I only expand them enough to just barely get the base of the bullet seated by hand. Then I let the press do the rest. Based on the amount of force and whacks from my kinetic puller, I'd say I probably don't need to crimp at all.
MrOldLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 15:43   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I have a lyman trimmer... very handy to hook up a cordless drill to it when doing several hundred once fired / military brass .308's.

I'm unashamed for trimming mag rounds. It makes a difference. As noted, you usually only have to do it once...
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 16:38   #16
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Thank you all for confirming the need to trim for large magnum revolver rounds for secure, and a uniform crimp. I shot my 44 mag reloads last week, and after the 4th shot, the bullet in the number 6th chamber was half way out of the case

I'll be ordering the Lee trimmer today, thanks.

GlockMonk
Contrary to what others may say, that is caused by needing a more uniform and stout crimp. I made the mistake of undercrimping when I first started loading Ruger only loads for my 45 colt Blackhawk. Ended up with a jammed up revolver. Not going to make that mistake again.
Old 11-17-2010, 17:34   #17
GLShooter

Send a message via AIM to GLShooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Contrary to what others may say, that is caused by needing a more uniform and stout crimp. I made the mistake of undercrimping when I first started loading Ruger only loads for my 45 colt Blackhawk. Ended up with a jammed up revolver. Not going to make that mistake again.
I agree. A bit more crimp is in order. That is where the art in reloading comes in. Problem solving is a big deal for the endeavor. Just like not crimping 45 ACP enough and getting set back it is one of those things we learn experientially and hope nothing bad happens along the way.

Greg
Old 11-17-2010, 17:55   #18
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I would argue that your taper crimp has nothing to do with setback in the .45 auto, neck tension does.
Old 11-17-2010, 17:58   #19
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
I would argue that your taper crimp has nothing to do with setback in the .45 auto, neck tension does.

And in 45 ACP (or a taper crimp round) you would be arguing correctly.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 18:01   #20
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Sorry, probably a discussion for a different thread.