Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:21   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Mossberg 930 SPX - Changing the LPA Sights? EDIT- Whoah New Info

What's up,

I am thinking about buying some new/extra LPA Sights to go with my factory sights , which are the LPA sights and very very good (I've read that they're the best , but I am definitely not smart enough in this field to render opinion nor experienced enough to even compare and contrast.)

So as people may or may not know the 930 SPX comes factory installed with a rail, and an LPA adjustable ghost ring sight "mount" and "circle" aperature in the rear and a "M16" style "winged" front post aperature with a red, fiber optic rail tube for gathering available ambient light. It is awesome in my opinion and I love it. But I am also into night sights/tritium and I think its necessary... Especially for a dedicated combat/HD shotgun which is what I use my 930 SPX for and really what it was designed for.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how hard it will be to change the factory supplied stuff for some new/extra gear also from LPA. I am about to buy night sights for it [Consisting of a tritium ring aperature which replaces the supplied ring and a tritium dot tube up front replacing the fiber optic rail tube.], and also probably/perhaps the dual fiber optic rail-rear ring aperature...

If this works easily and I hope it will, and if it's possible to switch them myself and furthermore if it's easy to pop them back and forth (Like switching between calibers on my Glock 23 by swapping the proper barrel and then appropriate magazine, sort of ?) I will then keep the night sights ghost ring and front and have that on most of the time, but also would like the fiber optic rear to go with the fiber optic front, and would pop them on for range trips/fun shooting outside/etc. and occasional targets and like clay stuff shooting. Don't do a lot and I know it's not designed for that nor is it one of those $3,000 Italian over under johns, but whatever it goes boom just the same.

So does anyone have any experience with the LPA Sights on the 930 SPX etc. or other input, thanks much.

Just so you know, what I'm talking about,

http://www.lpasights.com/catalog-shotgun.html

and then scroll around,

I have ghost ring D4 (standard) , I would buy D3 (Tritium) and probably/possibly D5 (dual green fiber optic tubes)

and then for front,

I have front fiber optic M1F (standard on 930 SPX) and would be buying M1T (Tritium) ..

Thanks much for the help and input.

Last edited by ScrappyDoo; 11-17-2010 at 10:38..
ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:36   #2
mixflip

Sounds interesting. I'd like to swap in some tritium night sights on my 930 also someday. I'd like to know how easy it goes for you Scrappy. Keep us informed. Sorry I cant help on this one.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 16:55   #3
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Mix I think I'm going to order them tomorrow, I'll call first and check with their company but I will and then let you know.

Old 11-16-2010, 21:01   #4
badge315

Just from my own personal experience with a rear tritium ghost ring sight...don't bother. I have a set of Trak-Lock sights on one of my 870s with the two tritium dots on either side of the rear sight aperature and quite frankly, they are useless. I can't even see them when I shoulder the gun.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14   #5
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
Just from my own personal experience with a rear tritium ghost ring sight...don't bother. I have a set of Trak-Lock sights on one of my 870s with the two tritium dots on either side of the rear sight aperature and quite frankly, they are useless. I can't even see them when I shoulder the gun.
Badge that is interesting to know, could you maybe elaborate? Because I have Trijicon night sights on my G23 and I absolutely love them. I have the Green front and yellow rear, and I didn't know at the time of purchase the yellow isn't as bright or long lasting as the green but I still love it, it completely changed my Glock IMHO.

And I really look(ed)? forward to the same on my 930 SPX, you think it's useless though? Maybe I will only get the fiber optic then, but why do you say so bad, and maybe it was your brand of sights? Let me know thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:51   #6
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

OK Whoah- I called PSI, Precision Sales International, www.precisionsights.com , and spoke to the main man.

He was THE MAN and we spoke for 15 minutes and he walked me through/talked me through my options and STRONGLY RECOMMENDED i SAVE MY MONEY and use what I have. He said absolutely there was NO REASON for me to change the rear ghost ring sight. As the reason the "Ghost Ring Sight" is dubbed "GHOST" is because it is designed to be a "subliminal sight" and "ghost" out of view when you have a properly acquired the sight picture. He said that the rear fiber optic sight would be borderline useless to me and the rear tritium would hinder, not help, my sight picture and target acquisition. Furthermore he said it would be possible to use a tritium front sight, but several issues to consider:

1 - ) It is a gunsmith install type item. There is a roll pin involved which can be damaged/lost/etc. and if I screw up, I have no recourse and could wind up needed a new barrel and/or a new entire front sight system, very expensive. A gunsmith would have to fix it himself if he breaks it.

2 - ) Therefore it is NOT a snap-on snap-off type deal, so I could not, as I wanted, pop on Tritium sights for home defense and leave them on until I wanted to go to the range or outdoor shooting etc. and pop-off the night sights , snap on the fiber optics.

3 - )The Tritium is borderline useless in the day light, not as effective as simple white dots and not NEARLY as effective and useful as the fiber optic tube. The fiber optic tube WILL help magnify and acquire ambient light at night, like night lights and moonlight what have you in your house, whereas a tritium sight is almost useless in the daytime, you'd not even have as much success (In reference to a Glock he gave me this example when I said I had the G23 with the Trijicon) as even the factory white paint dots.

He basically explained the different agencies and military units and law enforcement units etc. and what they were doing and showed me my options. He also said he would be happy to sell me whatever I wanted, but he is basically a VERY VERY HONORABLE man and said, he would be taking money from me that he shouldn't, that I would be wasting money, and I would be probably losing effectiveness and he can't just do that, that's no way to treat people etc. I cannot stress enough how AWESOME he was and how he saved me a few hundred.

He did say, if I really wanted, I might have some success with replacing ONLY THE FRONT sight with a tritium dot post rather than the red fiber optic tube.. but that I would then really have ONLY a night time home defense shotgun which is fine, but is that what you really want? No thanks not really.

So I will be sticking to what I have thanks to this gentleman and I do believe I would have easily spent the 1-$300 if he said "oh yeah this is the bomb, tacticool brah!!" ... So If anyone needs any of their services for OTHER uses, I cannot stress enough contact Jay at PSI , www.precisionsights.com and they will take awesome care of you (If you have a shotgun, you would want IMHO the basic setup, the rail, the rear STANDARD ghost ring aperture on their adjustable, protective winged unit, and probably the front red fiber optic tube M16 style winged post.) I LOVE my setup, I just wanted to maximize it but it appears I am already Good to Go , and now confirmed thanks to this gentleman.

Old 11-17-2010, 20:07   #7
badge315

As far as my experience with the tritium rear ghost ring aperature, the two tritium dots are very small and they are so close to your eye that they completely blur. Compare that with a tritium rear sight on a handgun, which is generally held at arms length, and I think you get the picture.

My experience with fiber optic sights on shotguns and handguns is that they are great for daylight, and absolutely useless in the dark. They just do not work without at least typical interior lighting levels, and since the fiber optic tube on an LPA sight is considerably shorter than the tube on a Hi-Viz for example, it will gather even less light.

The best day/night front sight configuration I've encountered is a large white ring surrounding a tritium dot, such as the XS Big Dot.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 14:56   #8
m24shooter

The LPA tritium ghost rings are not real great for an additional reason. While the trit dots are questionable as far as low light utility, the gigantic blocky housing they sit in pretty much negate the ghosting of the ghost ring rear sight. They are rather large and you end up seeing not the ghost image typical of the normal rear apeture but instead two large vague shapes on either side of the front sight.
The tritium sights with the large dots are great on the front, and I liked the Mepro front sight on the OEM GRS kit from Mossberg. I don't really like the FO front sights because they stink on ice in the dark, or if you're in the dark and the target is in light although not so much.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 13:50   #9
huh?!?!?!

Hello all,

This is my first post on this site,

I thought I would chime in with my thoughts on the topic you have posted. I experimented by painting some small white dots on the rear ghost and when I shoulder the firearm the dots blur almost to the point that they are rendered useless and border line hinder my target acquisition as the dots become so enlarged and blurred that it is hard to tell weather I am actually centered with the front sights or not.

While the fiber optic sights are rather useless at night or very low light conditions I have found that this is very little of a bother to me as my spx has a tac light mounted to it and both the rear ghost and front sight silhouette against the light so well that it seems almost easier to acquire my target then when using the weapon in full daylight.

Hope this helps, I would like to take this time to add also that my decision to purchase a 930 spx was in no small part due to this forum. Thanks all for the informative and mature manner topics are discussed, I look forward to more great reading.
huh?!?!?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11   #10
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

Best post regarding this subject. You can choose not to take heed, it's your shotgun but that's solid advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
OK Whoah- I called PSI, Precision Sales International, www.precisionsights.com , and spoke to the main man.

He was THE MAN and we spoke for 15 minutes and he walked me through/talked me through my options and STRONGLY RECOMMENDED i SAVE MY MONEY and use what I have. He said absolutely there was NO REASON for me to change the rear ghost ring sight. As the reason the "Ghost Ring Sight" is dubbed "GHOST" is because it is designed to be a "subliminal sight" and "ghost" out of view when you have a properly acquired the sight picture. He said that the rear fiber optic sight would be borderline useless to me and the rear tritium would hinder, not help, my sight picture and target acquisition. Furthermore he said it would be possible to use a tritium front sight, but several issues to consider:

1 - ) It is a gunsmith install type item. There is a roll pin involved which can be damaged/lost/etc. and if I screw up, I have no recourse and could wind up needed a new barrel and/or a new entire front sight system, very expensive. A gunsmith would have to fix it himself if he breaks it.

2 - ) Therefore it is NOT a snap-on snap-off type deal, so I could not, as I wanted, pop on Tritium sights for home defense and leave them on until I wanted to go to the range or outdoor shooting etc. and pop-off the night sights , snap on the fiber optics.

3 - )The Tritium is borderline useless in the day light, not as effective as simple white dots and not NEARLY as effective and useful as the fiber optic tube. The fiber optic tube WILL help magnify and acquire ambient light at night, like night lights and moonlight what have you in your house, whereas a tritium sight is almost useless in the daytime, you'd not even have as much success (In reference to a Glock he gave me this example when I said I had the G23 with the Trijicon) as even the factory white paint dots.

He basically explained the different agencies and military units and law enforcement units etc. and what they were doing and showed me my options. He also said he would be happy to sell me whatever I wanted, but he is basically a VERY VERY HONORABLE man and said, he would be taking money from me that he shouldn't, that I would be wasting money, and I would be probably losing effectiveness and he can't just do that, that's no way to treat people etc. I cannot stress enough how AWESOME he was and how he saved me a few hundred.

He did say, if I really wanted, I might have some success with replacing ONLY THE FRONT sight with a tritium dot post rather than the red fiber optic tube.. but that I would then really have ONLY a night time home defense shotgun which is fine, but is that what you really want? No thanks not really.

So I will be sticking to what I have thanks to this gentleman and I do believe I would have easily spent the 1-$300 if he said "oh yeah this is the bomb, tacticool brah!!" ... So If anyone needs any of their services for OTHER uses, I cannot stress enough contact Jay at PSI , www.precisionsights.com and they will take awesome care of you (If you have a shotgun, you would want IMHO the basic setup, the rail, the rear STANDARD ghost ring aperture on their adjustable, protective winged unit, and probably the front red fiber optic tube M16 style winged post.) I LOVE my setup, I just wanted to maximize it but it appears I am already Good to Go , and now confirmed thanks to this gentleman.
TACTICAL SHOTGUN CLUB #930
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831
DHSGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 16:46   #11
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Lol. Thanks. I try to do, what I can do, when I can do it

Old 11-27-2011, 09:25   #12
Bello
America/Italia

your a real fanboy of that so so shotgun huh?
Old 11-27-2011, 14:42   #13
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
your a real fanboy of that so so shotgun huh?
You're a real troll huh?
TACTICAL SHOTGUN CLUB #930
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831
DHSGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10   #14
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

He's not mentioning Pestered me via IM on here several times trying to learn how come "you got a M930SPX and I can't get one !!! What did you do to get one , cause I'm being told theyre not allowed in NJ. I want one too !!!!". When I told him he's outta luck I enjoy being the only one with one he basically said " fine I'll take my ball and go home. I'll get a Benelli M4 and have a more expensive one than you !!". And now this. Come correct or don't come at all buddy, don't hate when you tried to participate.