Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2010, 19:09   #1
Six Feet Under

Send a message via AIM to Six Feet Under
Ranger SXT 9mm: Life Lessons (home ballistic testing inside)

I posted these pictures in General Glocking a while back but the thread got closed because I made the title "getting shot with your own gun really sucks". I'd like to preface this post with the fact that getting shot really is NOT like the movies portray. I knew that before it happened, but living through a GSW really makes you appreciate just how fake movies really are.

To make a long story short, my friend that I went shooting with on a weekly basis for at least six months before this happened and had never seen anything unsafe out of, shot me on November 28th 2009. I was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital with a non-life threatening gunshot wound to my right elbow. It bled a little, but not a lot (life lesson #1 - don't count on the BG bleeding out like in the movies) and until I saw it myself in a mirror I thought my arm had been blown off by a 12 gauge or something (it didn't sound like my Glock at all, but I had never shot it indoors either) and freaked out a little. Once I saw there were only two holes in my arm, I calmed down and when deputies and paramedics showed up, they were kind of surprised to see me sitting there acting normal except for the grunting because of the pain and outbursts of curse words. It was definitely a 9 or 10 out of 10, but I haven't ever experienced any pain worse than cracking my wrist when I was in 5th grade, so take my assessment for what it's worth. The bullet barely hit my ulnar nerve. The muzzle was probably a foot from my arm when he pulled the trigger for whatever reason, went through my arm, grazed my knee, bounced off my desk and landed by my feet.

I bring up the number of times we had shot together because I know someone will be a ****-wit and tell me not to leave guns lying around where people who have never handled them can get access. That was not the case here, it was someone I trusted because I had no reason not to, and that bit me in the ass. Yes, I have since re-evaluated who I shoot with. I would say that any lesson there was to be learned in this experience has been well reinforced by the experience itself and there is really no need for random people on the internet to chastise me over the mistake of trusting him.

I was half way through the police academy and had to quit because of this. Along with racking up nearly $50,000 in medical debt WITHOUT the hospital stay added in because it was paid for by a charity (I had school insurance only while I was losing the extra 10 pounds I had to fit into the weight range for my age and height and get my own insurance plan, separate from my mom's plan because it was costing her too much). Yes, he should have to pay for the damage he caused. Yes, I am going to contact a lawyer. This thread is not about what he or I did wrong, or what I'm currently doing to resolve that.

After a five and a half hour surgery the next morning, I woke up angry and extremely thirsty. Later that day, my surgeon came in and told me I'd be lucky to get 80% use out of my arm after this, I'd most likely have loss of strength and numbness/tingling issues in my arm and hand, never be able to do push-ups, go back to the academy, etc. I told him that wasn't acceptable to me, and I went home three days later. Five days after being shot I was down to one 5/325mg Vicodin a day, and three days later, I was completely off of them. After 10 months of occupational therapy (beginning of January to the end of October), here I am.

Just to give you guys some ideas of how long it took to get "normal" functions back, it took two weeks to be able to tie my shoes just by moving my fingers and hand enough to make a double loop knot. Think about how little effort is required to tie your shoes. I got the cast off three weeks after the shooting and it took me an additional three weeks (we're up to six weeks from the day I got shot) to cross my arms at my chest like an indignant teenager. It took about three to four months to be able to touch my right thumb to the far left side of my face. Six MONTHS later I could finally wipe with my right hand when I finished taking a crap without wanting to cry because the pain was so bad. Just recently I've been able to stick my finger in my right ear, use a q-tip, or wash my face right-handed, and I'm two weeks from a full year after being shot.

I can barely do female push-ups now, but I'm doing god damn push-ups. The biggest issue is chest strength since I have barely used my upper body over the last year, so I have a lot of strength to make up. I went to the doctor again today to talk to him about getting a couple of the screws out (last picture highlights which ones are being taken out) and he wanted to do it as soon as the day after tomorrow. I could care less when I do it as long as it's ASAP so I can continue on my road to recovery. I'm planning on re-entering the academy in August 2011 as January is a little too soon and I'm still not as physically fit as I should be.

Caliber Corner

Entry

Caliber Corner

Exit

Caliber Corner

Pre-surgery

Caliber Corner

Post surgery (top view)
FL Glockers Club #2007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Six Feet Under; 11-16-2010 at 19:15..
Six Feet Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 19:10   #2
Six Feet Under

Caliber Corner

Post surgery (side view)

Caliber Corner

Three weeks later, after cast removal

Caliber Corner

Fired and unfired comparison

Caliber Corner

Close up

Caliber Corner

Recent side view (June)

Caliber Corner

Screws circled in red are coming out soon as they're backing out on their own and feel wonderful during any heavy use of the arm

Any questions?
FL Glockers Club #2007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Six Feet Under; 11-16-2010 at 19:11..
Old 11-16-2010, 19:19   #3
Berto
woo woo

Very interesting.
I hope you heal up and can get back to normal life, that humerus definitely took a beating.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 19:32   #4
Six Feet Under

It's healed now, I'm just having those three screws removed because they're backing out on their own and have been since May or June. The only thing I can't do now that I did in the month pre-shooting is push-ups and I'm currently waiting to re-start school. That was the worst part of the whole ordeal because working in law enforcement is literally what I've been interested in since I was four years old and this whole situation has been a huge mental blow because that dream was snatched away from me as it was being molded and I'm still not 100% sure I will be able to do what's required of me, but I'm working towards it. If I could see myself with how far I've recovered now back when I was in the hospital, I wouldn't have believed it. I have zero issues with strength or numbness in my arm, both hands are at 85lb grip strength as of three weeks ago, and the only numbness I get is when I push on my right pinky fingernail.
FL Glockers Club #2007

Old 11-16-2010, 20:37   #5
G-Lock808

ouch!!!! was that a 147?
G-Lock808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 21:19   #6
Six Feet Under

127gr
FL Glockers Club #2007

Old 11-16-2010, 21:20   #7
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
It's healed now, I'm just having those three screws removed because they're backing out on their own and have been since May or June. The only thing I can't do now that I did in the month pre-shooting is push-ups and I'm currently waiting to re-start school. That was the worst part of the whole ordeal because working in law enforcement is literally what I've been interested in since I was four years old and this whole situation has been a huge mental blow because that dream was snatched away from me as it was being molded and I'm still not 100% sure I will be able to do what's required of me, but I'm working towards it. If I could see myself with how far I've recovered now back when I was in the hospital, I wouldn't have believed it. I have zero issues with strength or numbness in my arm, both hands are at 85lb grip strength as of three weeks ago, and the only numbness I get is when I push on my right pinky fingernail.
Very cool. Very much hope you will be able to realize a career in law enforcement.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 21:31   #8
Alcoy

All the best for you SFU.
Alcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57   #9
thegriz18
Paper Killer

Glad to hear that you're doing better. Out of curiosity, do you have an agency sponsoring you for your academy? If not, you might want to try and get on with a large metro agency so they can pay for it. Some of the larger ones require you to go to their academy no matter what. I just got hired by a large agency and while I was in the hiring process I asked them about doing the academy on my own. The told me that unless I was a lateral transfer with 2 yrs experience from a dept with more than 100 officers I would have to go through their academy. I don't know you're situation, but I thought I might help you save the costs and get you paid while you're in if you aren't already. Just some info for you.

Out of curiosity, did you ever ask that dip **** why he pointed the gun at you and pulled the trigger? I mean, seriously? One thing that you can do that might prevent a dip **** from being a dip **** is keep all your loaded guns in a holster. I do that. That way they have to take it out and figure out how the ALS works, which typically requires them to ask me "how the F do I get it out?" Just a word to the wise. Good luck with therapy!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51   #10
G26S239
NRA Patron

That's a very interesting write up of what happened and the aftermath Six Feet Under. That is very fortunate that you were not permanently disabled or dead and even so the cost has been very high for you. Thanks for sharing this, those pics are graphic evidence of why an ND has to be avoided.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:29   #11
ubimow

Wow, you sure have gone through a lot. I admire your attitude and desire to continue following your dream. I wish you the best!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16   #12
pimuk

I felt sorry for you and thanks for sharing. However, you dealt with the nightmare with exceptional attitude. I wish you the best.
pimuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21   #13
G31

I remember the original post. Glad you are seeing improvement over time. Your wound is typical of what I've seen...no grapefruit-sized exit wounds, and no explosion of blood from the entry hole. If movies got it right, it would more often look like someone being shot with blanks at first...their reaction is all you see, then blood from the hole.

Proudly shooting guns in: .40 S&W, 9mm x 19, .38 Spl, 357 SIG, .45 Auto, 10mm, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and 12 Ga.
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 14:29   #14
ABNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G31 View Post
and no explosion of blood from the entry hole. I
In fairness (and we are likely comparing apples to oranges here) I have seen this. I'm in the medical field and years ago we got a trauma team called to the ER for a shooting. Some whackjob had chased his wife and 10yo son down, ran them off the road, and shot them with an M1 Garand (30-06). He was later killed by the cops. At any rate, the kid went to another hospital and ultimately survived. We got the mom. She had been shot once through the chest and once in the neck that exited her jaw. The jawbone was jutting out of the exit hole, all glisteny white. Kinda gagged me seeing that, not sure why. When they cracked her chest and did open cardiac massage on her deflated (bled-out) heart it didn't phase me. But that glistening white bone.......

Reading is fundamental: I even quoted you and thought I saw "bone", not "blood". Sorry for my inconsequential walk down memory lane.

11C2P '83-'87

Last edited by ABNAK; 11-17-2010 at 14:32..
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 15:11   #15
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

OP:

Damn awesome attitude you have to recover and move on with your goals!

Fight hard, don't quit and keep your powder dry!
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59   #16
Dreamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
In fairness (and we are likely comparing apples to oranges here) I have seen this. I'm in the medical field and years ago we got a trauma team called to the ER for a shooting. Some whackjob had chased his wife and 10yo son down, ran them off the road, and shot them with an M1 Garand (30-06). He was later killed by the cops. At any rate, the kid went to another hospital and ultimately survived. We got the mom. She had been shot once through the chest and once in the neck that exited her jaw. The jawbone was jutting out of the exit hole, all glisteny white. Kinda gagged me seeing that, not sure why. When they cracked her chest and did open cardiac massage on her deflated (bled-out) heart it didn't phase me. But that glistening white bone.......

Reading is fundamental: I even quoted you and thought I saw "bone", not "blood". Sorry for my inconsequential walk down memory lane.
And there you are in a nutshell describing the difference between high powered rifle versus a handgun wound.
Dreamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 14:57   #17
G31

Yeah, sorry. I was talking typical handgun wounds. Of course, there will always be variance either way from "typical".

Proudly shooting guns in: .40 S&W, 9mm x 19, .38 Spl, 357 SIG, .45 Auto, 10mm, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and 12 Ga.
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 16:18   #18
glocknbruce

six feet,

thank you for sharing your story.......i think we can all learn from this!!!!!
glocknbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 19:59   #19
mikegun

I dont doubt for a minuite you will make it to the police dept, you have what it takes, you will do just fine.....
Old 11-18-2010, 20:10   #20
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I thank you for the details. It must be hard reliving something as bad as this. My best for you.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote