SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2010, 17:06   #1
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Install VirtualBox Additions In Ubuntu

I'm running Virtual box on windows. I installed ubuntu as a guest. Everything is working fine, except i'm trying to install the Vbox guest additions, which helps the graphics, etc. This is basically like VM tools under VM ware.

ANyway, when you 'install' the vbox guest additions it mounts a cd on the desktop. So the guest thinks there is a cd rom in the drive. I click on that 'cd', and it opens up a window. The file i want to open is called "VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run", Now when i double click on it a white terminal box appears, and it says something to the effect of this progam needs to be ran with administrative privileges. I tried all kinds of different "sudo" commands in front.

any ideas?

the google and the web aren't much help, since the commands don't work..

indygun?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 17:40   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Where did you download this Guest Additions file? I can't find it on Vbox's website.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 17:49   #3
MavsX
The Dude Abides

With the virtual machine running you go to Devices > Install Guest Additions...Then it loads the CD on your desktop. When you do the same thing in a windows guest, it just loads up a .exe and installs a few files and a 3D graphics driver.

Note, that when i click "device >install guest additions", that's on the windows virtualbox program, so it's not part of the guest virtual machine. Makes sense?
Old 11-17-2010, 17:54   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
With the virtual machine running you go to Devices > Install Guest Additions...Then it loads the CD on your desktop. When you do the same thing in a windows guest, it just loads up a .exe and installs a few files and a 3D graphics driver.

Note, that when i click "device >install guest additions", that's on the windows virtualbox program, so it's not part of the guest virtual machine. Makes sense?
OK.. gimme just a couple minutes... I'm not sure myself so I'm gonna fire up Ubuntu in Vbox and see... be back in a minute.
Old 11-17-2010, 18:03   #5
MavsX
The Dude Abides

thanks dude!
Old 11-17-2010, 18:36   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

OK.... After Starting Ubuntu in Vbox... This should get Guest Additions installed for you... You were pretty close.. the fact you didn't get this, suggests you might have been following incomplete instructions. Note, the below assumes you're using 32bit(but I assume the same would work for 64bit). As for configuring it, You're going to be on your own, because I'm actually not on my PC at the moment(which has Vbox) and done all this by Remote Desktop.. so if you need help further configuring it, etc.. I can probably help you later tonight or tomorrow. This however, should get you installed.

1. After Ubuntu is started in Vbox, Go to The Devices Menu, and Choose the "Install Guest Additions"

2. When the CD mounts and you can browse it, you should see a file in there called "VboxLinuxAdditions-x86.run"...That is the 32bit file we need.... If your Ubuntu guest is 64bit, and you need 64bit, then you need the "VboxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run"

3. After that folder is open, Leave it open, and open a terminal (Application/Accessories/Terminal)

4. Now, we need to change the terminal directory, to the CD. The easiest way to do that, is going to be... Type "cd" no quotes, and hit the space bar one time. Then drag/drop the VboxLinuxAdditions file you need, in the terminal... that's gonna ive you an output smoething like this....

cd '/some/path/here/VboxLinuxAdditions-x86.run'

What you need to do, is delete that VboxLinuxAdditions-x86.run part of that path, but do not delete the ' at the end.... so you should have somthing like this...
cd '/some/path/here' (make sure the path doesn't end in /)

5. Hit Enter, and you should see the terminal change it's directory. If you get an error, make sure that 1. you didn't delete the ' at the beginning or the end, and that 2... There's a space between cd and the first ' There shouldn't be a space anywhere in the actual path, including before and after the '

6. Once you're in the proper directory type
sudo sh VboxLinuxAdditions-x86.run (or substitute the 64bit filename here if you need to)

7. Hit enter, and you should see it doing it's thing.

IGF
Old 11-17-2010, 19:07   #7
MavsX
The Dude Abides

hell yeah.. Thanks man! I knew i needed the sudo command the problem is i didn't know how to manage the command line. I learned to use 'ls' instead of 'dir' for seeing whats in the directory, and a bunch of other commands...I even copied that .run file to different folders to try and run it from there...

anyway, it works like a charm..heres the terminal window copy and paste..

mavsx@ubuntu:~$ cd '/media/cdrom0'
mavsx@ubuntu:/media/cdrom0$ sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
[sudo] password for mavsx:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 3.2.10 Guest Additions for Linux.........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
tar: Record size = 8 blocks
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
Building the main Guest Additions module ...done.
Building the shared folder support module ...done.
Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions ...done.
Starting the VirtualBox Guest Additions ...done.
Installing the Window System drivers
Installing X.Org Server 1.7 modules ...done.
Setting up the Window System to use the Guest Additions ...done.
You may need to restart the hal service and the Window System (or just restart
the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions.

Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components ...done.
mavsx@ubuntu:/media/cdrom0$

thanks again IGF you the man!

Last edited by MavsX; 11-17-2010 at 19:07..
Old 11-17-2010, 19:09   #8
MavsX
The Dude Abides

while were on the subject. As soon as i installed the update and rebooted the VM, it gave me an option for widescreen so the VM resolution is set to 1360 X768, and it says "monitor unknown" Which is better than 640X480... I'd love to get it 1280 X 1024 like my windows VM's...

any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2010, 19:13   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Yeah, I kinda figured part of the issue was w/ the directory your terminal was in.. because beyond that, installing it is fairly straightforward. A lot of times when you read instructions on the internet, where you need to cd into another directory they'll simply say, 'change the terminal to that directory' and a new user (especially if they're doing a lot of copy/pasting commands) will never get past that step. That is one thing about a lot of linux users posting instructions would understand(especially those posting Ubuntu instructions, since newbs almost always float to it)... You're dealing w/ folks who come from a point and click world, so if you're gonna put terminal commands in, you've gotta put every single command they'll need.

Couple things to note..

1. Anytime you're not sure what path a file is in, you can find it easily by dragging/dropping it in a terminal(as you saw)...

2. By Default, your terminal always opens up in your home folder.

Glad you got it working..

IGF
Old 11-17-2010, 19:17   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
while were on the subject. As soon as i installed the update and rebooted the VM, it gave me an option for widescreen so the VM resolution is set to 1360 X768, and it says "monitor unknown" Which is better than 640X480... I'd love to get it 1280 X 1024 like my windows VM's...

any thoughts?
Does System/Preferences/Monitors allow you to change it?

Beyond that, I'm not sure... I'll look into it later though.
Old 11-17-2010, 19:56   #11
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Yeah, I kinda figured part of the issue was w/ the directory your terminal was in.. because beyond that, installing it is fairly straightforward. A lot of times when you read instructions on the internet, where you need to cd into another directory they'll simply say, 'change the terminal to that directory' and a new user (especially if they're doing a lot of copy/pasting commands) will never get past that step. That is one thing about a lot of linux users posting instructions would understand(especially those posting Ubuntu instructions, since newbs almost always float to it)... You're dealing w/ folks who come from a point and click world, so if you're gonna put terminal commands in, you've gotta put every single command they'll need.

Couple things to note..

1. Anytime you're not sure what path a file is in, you can find it easily by dragging/dropping it in a terminal(as you saw)...

2. By Default, your terminal always opens up in your home folder.

Glad you got it working..

IGF

yeah i never would have thought to drag an icon into the terminal to show the path. genius! Now, i know though. haha

dammit i just tried it in windows and you can drag icons in there too....learn something new everyday. thanks bro.
Old 11-17-2010, 19:57   #12
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Does System/Preferences/Monitors allow you to change it?

Beyond that, I'm not sure... I'll look into it later though.

nah, thats where i was going earlier.

it shows monitor preferences, and says monitor unknown..and it's all red/pink

i mean 1360 X 737 is manageable..but if i could figure out how to make it better i would...we'll talk soon. thanks again bro!
Old 11-17-2010, 20:10   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Hmm... There's probably a way to do it... but I'm just not 100% sure of it at the moment.. I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow and see if I can figure something out.
Old 11-17-2010, 20:30   #14
MavsX
The Dude Abides

totally cool. take your time. thanks bro
Old 11-17-2010, 20:33   #15
MavsX
The Dude Abides

hmm. well i dont know what just happened. So i have dual 24 inch monitors...so i had the ubuntu vm up on one monitor. I decided to maximize the window, that somehow automatically resized my screen. I then went into monitors and now it shows a whole bunch of options. Maybe ubuntu auto-senses what the sizes are based on how big the vm is? is that even possible? It sounds like a feature i just made up. hahaha

really weird stuff. It still says unknown monitor..but i'm just happy that the monitor is bigger. thanks again man

Last edited by MavsX; 11-17-2010 at 20:34..
Old 11-17-2010, 20:56   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
hmm. well i dont know what just happened. So i have dual 24 inch monitors...so i had the ubuntu vm up on one monitor. I decided to maximize the window, that somehow automatically resized my screen. I then went into monitors and now it shows a whole bunch of options. Maybe ubuntu auto-senses what the sizes are based on how big the vm is? is that even possible? It sounds like a feature i just made up. hahaha

really weird stuff. It still says unknown monitor..but i'm just happy that the monitor is bigger. thanks again man
I was actually gonna suggest that... Vbox (if it's a supported resolution) will adjust the desktop to the window size... So when you maximized your Vbox Window, it simply adjusted the resolution on your desktop.

Did you install Ubuntu 10.10, or the new beta of 11.04? I've been having trouble getting 11.04 running, so I imagine you have 10.10(which is great)

IGF
Old 11-18-2010, 06:29   #17
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
I was actually gonna suggest that... Vbox (if it's a supported resolution) will adjust the desktop to the window size... So when you maximized your Vbox Window, it simply adjusted the resolution on your desktop.

Did you install Ubuntu 10.10, or the new beta of 11.04? I've been having trouble getting 11.04 running, so I imagine you have 10.10(which is great)

IGF
that is weird that it auto adjusts..but hey..i'm not complaining.

I'm running 10.04, it was originally 9.04, but i upgraded it a few hours ago. Linux is so awesome, one just really has to commit himself to using it for a few months and it will be like butter...

thanks again man
Old 11-18-2010, 06:48   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
that is weird that it auto adjusts..but hey..i'm not complaining.

I'm running 10.04, it was originally 9.04, but i upgraded it a few hours ago. Linux is so awesome, one just really has to commit himself to using it for a few months and it will be like butter...

thanks again man
10.04 was a pretty good OS, 10.10 has been very solid for me.

As for the auto adjust... Actually, it kinda makes sense when you think about it. The Guest OS, senses the Virtualbox Window, as the Display size, and defaults to the supported resolution (w/o Guest addition, thats usually 640x480, or 800x600, because the default virtualbox graphics driver sucks w/ linux). When you maximized the Vbox window, you essentially hooked up a bigger Display. Since you had Guest Additions installed, it detected it, and offered new resolutions for the new display.

Virtualbox is a great way to try Linux(or FreeBSD, or Solaris, etc..). I've got a 12gig virtual drive dedicated to XP, and an 8gig virtual drive, that I just routinely install different versions of Linux on.. either to test them, or help someone out, etc..

If you want to try Ubuntu as a Windows user, and your computer has the meat to run Virtualbox, it's a great way to try Ubuntu, and you don't even need to create a CD, as Vbox can boot an ISO, and if you have a virtual hard drive set up, can install to it from a Live CD ISO.... Really a slick way of trying things out if you like.

Dual Displays... just adds a whole new level of awesome to Vbox... one OS running on each display is pretty slick (been doing that a while..)
Old 11-18-2010, 06:59   #19
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
10.04 was a pretty good OS, 10.10 has been very solid for me.

As for the auto adjust... Actually, it kinda makes sense when you think about it. The Guest OS, senses the Virtualbox Window, as the Display size, and defaults to the supported resolution (w/o Guest addition, thats usually 640x480, or 800x600, because the default virtualbox graphics driver sucks w/ linux). When you maximized the Vbox window, you essentially hooked up a bigger Display. Since you had Guest Additions installed, it detected it, and offered new resolutions for the new display.

Virtualbox is a great way to try Linux(or FreeBSD, or Solaris, etc..). I've got a 12gig virtual drive dedicated to XP, and an 8gig virtual drive, that I just routinely install different versions of Linux on.. either to test them, or help someone out, etc..

If you want to try Ubuntu as a Windows user, and your computer has the meat to run Virtualbox, it's a great way to try Ubuntu, and you don't even need to create a CD, as Vbox can boot an ISO, and if you have a virtual hard drive set up, can install to it from a Live CD ISO.... Really a slick way of trying things out if you like.

Dual Displays... just adds a whole new level of awesome to Vbox... one OS running on each display is pretty slick (been doing that a while..)

oh i got the meat to run it. I just copied my sig from the hardforum.com...

|Lian Li PC-B25|
|Intel Core i7 920|
|Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5|
|OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3|
|EVGA 9800 GTX+|
|2 X WD 500 GB Black Cavier (RAID 1)|
|4 X Seagate Barracuda 1TB (RAID 5)|
|Seasonic 850 watt SS-850HT|
|Windows 7 Professional 64 bit|
|Logitech G5 & Saitek Eclipse RED|
|Dual Dell 2408 WFP|

I run VM's for doing risky web browsing or torrent stuff. If anything F's up, i can just kill the VM or revert back to a saved snapshot. I've currently got a win xp pro VM, a win 7 enterprise VM, a ubuntu 10.04 Vm, and a win 2003 server R2 VM...last night i was utilizing 10+ gigs of ram...yikes!

Each vm has 2 gigs of ram with 50 gig dynamic hard drives. I was also watching a CBT nugget video and browsing the web..gotta love those i7 processors..

Last edited by MavsX; 11-18-2010 at 07:00..
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04   #20
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
oh i got the meat to run it. I just copied my sig from the hardforum.com...

|Lian Li PC-B25|
|Intel Core i7 920|
|Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5|
|OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3|
|EVGA 9800 GTX+|
|2 X WD 500 GB Black Cavier (RAID 1)|
|4 X Seagate Barracuda 1TB (RAID 5)|
|Seasonic 850 watt SS-850HT|
|Windows 7 Professional 64 bit|
|Logitech G5 & Saitek Eclipse RED|
|Dual Dell 2408 WFP|

I run VM's for doing risky web browsing or torrent stuff. If anything F's up, i can just kill the VM or revert back to a saved snapshot. I've currently got a win xp pro VM, a win 7 enterprise VM, a ubuntu 10.04 Vm, and a win 2003 server R2 VM...last night i was utilizing 10+ gigs of ram...yikes!

Each vm has 2 gigs of ram with 50 gig dynamic hard drives. I was also watching a CBT nugget video and browsing the web..gotta love those i7 processors..
Yikes... and I had a friend who was amazed I was able to sync a Zune via Vbox... .

The beauty of it is, w/ huge hard drives pretty common, reserving 10-20gigs, so you can install one version of Linux, while testing various others. When I was learning FreeNas, that was how I learned it... I set it up on Vbox... then when I was ready to build my box, I pretty much had everything I wanted to do, all figured out.

IGF