SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2010, 17:07   #1
BMG22

Seagate Hard Drive

Hey all,

A certain retail store is apparently going to have a deal on a Seagate 1.5TB external hard drive on black Friday. Can anyone tell me anything about these?

Have the G17, G22 (x2), G23, G27, G35.....want the G24 (do I need to mention the G25 and G28?)
Autobots! Transform and roll out!
BMG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:25   #2
JimmyN

I don't have any Seagate externals, but I got two of the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB SATA drives from Newegg last July, they were $79.99 each with free shipping. I put them in my FreeNAS box and they have been streaming DVD's, video, and music over my LAN ever since. I have no complaints.
Old 11-20-2010, 15:08   #3
kc8ykd

fyi, seagate typically has had incredible warranties in the past and i believe they continue it with a 5 year on the drive you're talking about.

i discovered this a while back when some 50g scsi disks i had from them started to die (about 20 of 200, that ran 24x7 in raid arrays for ~4 years as part of a news server array). we contacted seagate and they cross-shipped us new drives, it worked out very well.

i wouldn't have a problem buying a seagate disk at all. if you search around, you might be able to find 2tb disks for the same price this week.

sign up for buy.com and newegg.com 's newsletters if you get the chance, they don't spam you like crazy, just an email or two per week about deals.

Last edited by kc8ykd; 11-20-2010 at 15:10..
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 15:38   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Two hard drives, both Seagates, purchased at the same time...

Read On...

Surviving The Perfect Storm… The Data Protection Strategy Paid Off!
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 16:02   #5
srhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Two hard drives, both Seagates, purchased at the same time...

Read On...

Surviving The Perfect Storm… The Data Protection Strategy Paid Off!
His conclusion is almost identical to my backup scheme. Raid 1, Mozy for docs, pics and music, and Acronis making complete disk images to a separate hard drive.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30   #6
MavsX
The Dude Abides

i bought a 2 TB western digital external hard drive back for a memorial day sale at best buy..i believe i paid $125.00...western digital is on par with seagate these days... either brand is good. I just chimed in so you know what i paid 6 months ago, to see if the deal is really a deal. I'd expect that they drop the 1.5 tb to $75 bucks or so..

Last edited by MavsX; 11-22-2010 at 07:31..
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 17:56   #7
srhoades

FYI Office Depot has Seagate 1TB internal retail drives for $49 on black Friday, external enclosures are cheap to come by.

Last edited by srhoades; 11-22-2010 at 17:56..
Old 11-22-2010, 23:48   #8
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
His conclusion is almost identical to my backup scheme. Raid 1, Mozy for docs, pics and music, and Acronis making complete disk images to a separate hard drive.
Acronis works on RAID 1? Which version???

Yah, I'm feeling lazy tonight...
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01   #9
tous
GET A ROPE!

I have returned six 1 TB Barracudas for replacement in the past 6 months and have lost 3 Cheetahs that were no longer under warranty.

Seagate is good about replacing the drives under warranty (they'll send you a re-manned unit) but right now, Seagate is not my favorite word.

My experience could all be just cosmic forces aligning badly. I have about 20 Barracudas and 50 Cheetahs still chugging along. I also have 15 Seagate SAS drives that have not had a problem.

I hate failed HDDS. I really, really do.

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by tous View Post
I have returned six 1 TB Barracudas for replacement in the past 6 months and have lost 3 Cheetahs that were no longer under warranty.

Seagate is good about replacing the drives under warranty (they'll send you a re-manned unit) but right now, Seagate is not my favorite word.

My experience could all be just cosmic forces aligning badly. I have about 20 Barracudas and 50 Cheetahs still chugging along. I also have 15 Seagate SAS drives that have not had a problem.

I hate failed HDDS. I really, really do.

yeah my company averages about 1 failed hard drive a month. Seagate...western digitals..... i think that is about all we use. **** sucks. We have only had 2 failed server hard drives in 4.5 years though..i guess thats why they are so god damn expensive. hahaa
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26   #11
srhoades

Quote:
Acronis works on RAID 1? Which version???

Yah, I'm feeling lazy tonight...
I was using an older version, Acronis 11, and it imaged my logical C drive no problem. If you get the newest version, Acronis 2011, with the plus pack (which is free in the month of November) It now supports RAID natively and will restore from dynamic disks. In addition, the Plus pack gives you the option for a universal restore to different hardware. Booting from the disc you then have an F6 windows like load third party drivers so you can restore to a different motherboard and whatnot.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08   #12
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
I was using an older version, Acronis 11, and it imaged my logical C drive no problem. If you get the newest version, Acronis 2011, with the plus pack (which is free in the month of November) It now supports RAID natively and will restore from dynamic disks. In addition, the Plus pack gives you the option for a universal restore to different hardware. Booting from the disc you then have an F6 windows like load third party drivers so you can restore to a different motherboard and whatnot.
That's a pretty strong 'mini review' srhoades!

May just have to purchase this... Rapid recovery of the biz system is *critical* for me.

Owe you one!
Old 11-24-2010, 15:57   #13
srhoades

Quote:
That's a pretty strong 'mini review' srhoades!

May just have to purchase this... Rapid recovery of the biz system is *critical* for me.

Owe you one!
As long as it's not a real server operation system, then you have to buy the real server edition, which is substantially more.

Oh, and the new version supports backing to multiple locations. So once it is finished backing up to a local disk it can also backup to a NAS, FTP etc. And since I'm reviewing, I don't like the new interface. It is slower, and a bit cluttered.

Last edited by srhoades; 11-24-2010 at 16:00..
Old 11-24-2010, 19:11   #14
Ffolkes

Does anybody feel the Western Digital Black line of drives are worth the extra money? They are supposed to be less prone to failure.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Ffolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 21:28   #15
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffolkes View Post
Does anybody feel the Western Digital Black line of drives are worth the extra money? They are supposed to be less prone to failure.
Supposed to be good... I have one running now with zero issues.

I chose it based on the reviews at NewEgg sometime over the summer... When in doubt, check the reviews!