Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 17:07   #1
BMG22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 347
Seagate Hard Drive

Hey all,

A certain retail store is apparently going to have a deal on a Seagate 1.5TB external hard drive on black Friday. Can anyone tell me anything about these?
__________________
BMG22

Have the G17, G22 (x2), G23, G27, G35.....want the G24 (do I need to mention the G25 and G28?)
Autobots! Transform and roll out!
BMG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:25   #2
JimmyN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,532
I don't have any Seagate externals, but I got two of the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB SATA drives from Newegg last July, they were $79.99 each with free shipping. I put them in my FreeNAS box and they have been streaming DVD's, video, and music over my LAN ever since. I have no complaints.
__________________
** Sent from my rotary dial phone using TwirlaWord **
JimmyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 15:08   #3
kc8ykd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 2,808
fyi, seagate typically has had incredible warranties in the past and i believe they continue it with a 5 year on the drive you're talking about.

i discovered this a while back when some 50g scsi disks i had from them started to die (about 20 of 200, that ran 24x7 in raid arrays for ~4 years as part of a news server array). we contacted seagate and they cross-shipped us new drives, it worked out very well.

i wouldn't have a problem buying a seagate disk at all. if you search around, you might be able to find 2tb disks for the same price this week.

sign up for buy.com and newegg.com 's newsletters if you get the chance, they don't spam you like crazy, just an email or two per week about deals.

Last edited by kc8ykd; 11-20-2010 at 15:10..
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 15:38   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member
 
Pierre!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lovin Sparks Nv!
Posts: 4,208
Two hard drives, both Seagates, purchased at the same time...

Read On...

Surviving The Perfect Storm… The Data Protection Strategy Paid Off!
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 16:02   #5
srhoades
Senior Member
 
srhoades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Two hard drives, both Seagates, purchased at the same time...

Read On...

Surviving The Perfect Storm… The Data Protection Strategy Paid Off!
His conclusion is almost identical to my backup scheme. Raid 1, Mozy for docs, pics and music, and Acronis making complete disk images to a separate hard drive.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30   #6
MavsX
The Dude Abides
 
MavsX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,033
i bought a 2 TB western digital external hard drive back for a memorial day sale at best buy..i believe i paid $125.00...western digital is on par with seagate these days... either brand is good. I just chimed in so you know what i paid 6 months ago, to see if the deal is really a deal. I'd expect that they drop the 1.5 tb to $75 bucks or so..
__________________
Glock 22 .40 S&W
CMMG M4 LEP II
Mossberg 500 Mariner

Last edited by MavsX; 11-22-2010 at 07:31..
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 17:56   #7
srhoades
Senior Member
 
srhoades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,598
FYI Office Depot has Seagate 1TB internal retail drives for $49 on black Friday, external enclosures are cheap to come by.

Last edited by srhoades; 11-22-2010 at 17:56..
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 23:48   #8
Pierre!
NRA Life Member
 
Pierre!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lovin Sparks Nv!
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
His conclusion is almost identical to my backup scheme. Raid 1, Mozy for docs, pics and music, and Acronis making complete disk images to a separate hard drive.
Acronis works on RAID 1? Which version???

Yah, I'm feeling lazy tonight...
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01   #9
tous
GET A ROPE!
 
tous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Plano, Texas, Republic of
Posts: 38,766
I have returned six 1 TB Barracudas for replacement in the past 6 months and have lost 3 Cheetahs that were no longer under warranty.

Seagate is good about replacing the drives under warranty (they'll send you a re-manned unit) but right now, Seagate is not my favorite word.

My experience could all be just cosmic forces aligning badly. I have about 20 Barracudas and 50 Cheetahs still chugging along. I also have 15 Seagate SAS drives that have not had a problem.

I hate failed HDDS. I really, really do.
__________________
casing: what sausage goes in
case: what bullets go in

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides
 
MavsX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tous View Post
I have returned six 1 TB Barracudas for replacement in the past 6 months and have lost 3 Cheetahs that were no longer under warranty.

Seagate is good about replacing the drives under warranty (they'll send you a re-manned unit) but right now, Seagate is not my favorite word.

My experience could all be just cosmic forces aligning badly. I have about 20 Barracudas and 50 Cheetahs still chugging along. I also have 15 Seagate SAS drives that have not had a problem.

I hate failed HDDS. I really, really do.

yeah my company averages about 1 failed hard drive a month. Seagate...western digitals..... i think that is about all we use. **** sucks. We have only had 2 failed server hard drives in 4.5 years though..i guess thats why they are so god damn expensive. hahaa
__________________
Glock 22 .40 S&W
CMMG M4 LEP II
Mossberg 500 Mariner
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26   #11
srhoades
Senior Member
 
srhoades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Acronis works on RAID 1? Which version???

Yah, I'm feeling lazy tonight...
I was using an older version, Acronis 11, and it imaged my logical C drive no problem. If you get the newest version, Acronis 2011, with the plus pack (which is free in the month of November) It now supports RAID natively and will restore from dynamic disks. In addition, the Plus pack gives you the option for a universal restore to different hardware. Booting from the disc you then have an F6 windows like load third party drivers so you can restore to a different motherboard and whatnot.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08   #12
Pierre!
NRA Life Member
 
Pierre!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lovin Sparks Nv!
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
I was using an older version, Acronis 11, and it imaged my logical C drive no problem. If you get the newest version, Acronis 2011, with the plus pack (which is free in the month of November) It now supports RAID natively and will restore from dynamic disks. In addition, the Plus pack gives you the option for a universal restore to different hardware. Booting from the disc you then have an F6 windows like load third party drivers so you can restore to a different motherboard and whatnot.
That's a pretty strong 'mini review' srhoades!

May just have to purchase this... Rapid recovery of the biz system is *critical* for me.

Owe you one!
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 15:57   #13
srhoades
Senior Member
 
srhoades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
That's a pretty strong 'mini review' srhoades!

May just have to purchase this... Rapid recovery of the biz system is *critical* for me.

Owe you one!
As long as it's not a real server operation system, then you have to buy the real server edition, which is substantially more.

Oh, and the new version supports backing to multiple locations. So once it is finished backing up to a local disk it can also backup to a NAS, FTP etc. And since I'm reviewing, I don't like the new interface. It is slower, and a bit cluttered.

Last edited by srhoades; 11-24-2010 at 16:00..
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 19:11   #14
Ffolkes
Senior Member
 
Ffolkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,990
Does anybody feel the Western Digital Black line of drives are worth the extra money? They are supposed to be less prone to failure.
__________________
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Ffolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 21:28   #15
Pierre!
NRA Life Member
 
Pierre!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lovin Sparks Nv!
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffolkes View Post
Does anybody feel the Western Digital Black line of drives are worth the extra money? They are supposed to be less prone to failure.
Supposed to be good... I have one running now with zero issues.

I chose it based on the reviews at NewEgg sometime over the summer... When in doubt, check the reviews!
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 741
155 Members
586 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31