Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:24   #1
BRoberts243

Silencers

Just wondering what most of you think about silencers...
I've always assumed they are usually involved w non defensive or illegitimate shootings just assuming that most ppl have silencers bc they don't want to be heard when they shoot... and if you're attacked and have to defend urself it seems u would want someone to hear that something wrong.

Once again just wanting opinions, not sure what the gen consensus is on silencers here. Would love to hear some input, especially if there r legal legitimate reasons to have one. I did see an add in a gun magazine that says make love loudly make war silently and am kind of having trouble grasping exactly what situation I would be in that I would want to be silent while shooting
Thanks
BRoberts243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:29   #2
usmc4641
NRA member

They help when firing powerful cartridges and also a great deal with full automatic fire.
In most instances a suppressor does not actually silence a firearm like they show on the television. They do however help with the higher db range when you are shooting indoors or close to other people.

Last edited by usmc4641; 11-20-2010 at 09:31..
usmc4641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:35   #3
AgentAdam
Glock Master

Using NFA registered items like short barreled rifles,sawed off shotguns,full auto,and suppressors are not recommended for SD shootings. It kinda falls under the lawyer hay day category like trigger jobs,modified safeties,and reloads. I only know of 2 SD shootings with FA so there is not much case info on it. Its not illegal and they say justified is justified but a lawyer could bad mouth you.

You could want to use one indoors for the same reason LE/SWAT sometimes do. So you don't blow your eardrums out in tight quarters with a loud firearm like a .45 or AR15. It doesn't make it all that quiet. Just tolerable.
AgentAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:36   #4
Adam5

It's nice being able to shoot in the country without hearing protection on.

With the right round in a suppressed .22 you can hear the slide closing. It's no louder than a air pistol.

A suppressed 9mm with subsonic rounds is no louder than a .22 short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Adam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:50   #5
rjrivero

Suppressors get a bad rap here in the states. They've been demonized by the left, and depicted unrealistically in the Liberal Hollywood Lore. They have done this so effectively, they even have pro 2nd amendment types questioning the "legitimacy" of suppressor use.

Suppressors help to limit the noise of shooting. In fact, in in certain EUROPEAN Countries, it's considered bad manners to shoot WITHOUT a suppressor. Good neighbors are quiet neighbors.

Suppressors are nice for teaching new shooters. The recoil is one thing, and the muzzle blast is something else all together. A more tame muzzle blast helps concentrated on the fundamentals of shooting with out the flash bang distraction.

Hearing protection is also the biggest argument for shooting suppressed. On the range, it's nice to be able to communicate without shouting. It's also a big benefit for home defence. I don't know how many folks keep a set of ear muffs next to their home defence gun. Setting off a round in the confines of your house WILL damage your hearing. With a good suppressor, you limit that damage.

I shot a carbine shoot last month and was fortunate to use a Trident 9 on my 9mm Glock. It is a MUCH nicer to shoot with a suppressor than without from an aesthetic standpoint.

This magazine had one 124gr bullet in it, the rest were 147gr. It's a glock long slide with a Trident-9 Suppressor on it.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...ubj=1254105894
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42   #6
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts243 View Post
...I've always assumed they are usually involved w non defensive or illegitimate shootings...
Incorrect. You get too much info from Hollywood.

Unless you fabricate your own without a Form 1 (illegal), or steal one (illegal), you have to jump through paperwork hoops and wait time that make California gun laws look friendly. (In the USA - in some other countries you can go to the hardware store for one.)

It reduces my firearms to hearing safe and really reduces the recoil of my .308 - my daughter loves shooting that rifle.

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Last edited by DustyJacket; 11-20-2010 at 12:48.. Reason: spelling
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 13:47   #7
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Incorrect. You get too much info from Hollywood.

Unless you fabricate your own without a Form 1 (illegal), or steal one (illegal), you have to jump through paperwork hoops and wait time that make California gun laws look friendly. (In the USA - in some other countries you can go to the hardware store for one.)

It reduces my firearms to hearing safe and really reduces the recoil of my .308 - my daughter loves shooting that rifle.

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Great shooting. You taught your little girl well.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 14:23   #8
Christof60
Zombie Slayer

Notice how you (the thread starter) were the only one to call it a "Silencer".... That word came from hollywood..
The ATF rules concerning suppressors is stunningly stupid (how many federal laws arent?).. If you are going to commit a shooting crime and dont want the entire town to know you have, simply using a pillow will have the same effect of greatly toning down the loud report of your gun... I have even shot .22's with nothing more than a 20 oz plastic soda bottle that made it near-silent.. SO.. If you really want to "silence" a gun for a crime, it is very easy to do..
There is no good reason for the stupid rule... I would like to have them simply to be able to shoot without ear protection, and also for the fact that if I had them, I could enjoy shooting in my own backyard without bringing down the entire police force on my head..

The ATF and the left are really good at making rules that common sense would normally overrule.. Just like on my Sig P556.. WTF makes that weapon so much more deadly if I were to install a foregrip on it, that makes it necessary for me to go through the dreadful paperwork to make it "legal"? Or for that matter, put a stock on it?

While I am at it, I dont have a problem with needing a Class III license to own full auto.. But why did those arseholes in Washington also make it illegal for full auto weapons to be manufactured (except for LEO)? All that did was make a $1500 weapon cost upwards of $15,000 because it is a "Grandfathered" weapon...
Schumer and the likes need to be put on an island out in the middle of the ocean..
Old 11-20-2010, 14:30   #9
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof60 View Post
Notice how you (the thread starter) were the only one to call it a "Silencer".... That word came from hollywood..
The ATF rules concerning suppressors is stunningly stupid (how many federal laws arent?).. If you are going to commit a shooting crime and dont want the entire town to know you have, simply using a pillow will have the same effect of greatly toning down the loud report of your gun... I have even shot .22's with nothing more than a 20 oz plastic soda bottle that made it near-silent.. SO.. If you really want to "silence" a gun for a crime, it is very easy to do..
There is no good reason for the stupid rule... I would like to have them simply to be able to shoot without ear protection, and also for the fact that if I had them, I could enjoy shooting in my own backyard without bringing down the entire police force on my head..

The ATF and the left are really good at making rules that common sense would normally overrule.. Just like on my Sig P556.. WTF makes that weapon so much more deadly if I were to install a foregrip on it, that makes it necessary for me to go through the dreadful paperwork to make it "legal"? Or for that matter, put a stock on it?

While I am at it, I dont have a problem with needing a Class III license to own full auto.. But why did those arseholes in Washington also make it illegal for full auto weapons to be manufactured (except for LEO)? All that did was make a $1500 weapon cost upwards of $15,000 because it is a "Grandfathered" weapon...
Schumer and the likes need to be put on an island out in the middle of the ocean..
Great post, except for the Class 3 license.......No such thing, just a approved $200 tax stamp.

Old 11-20-2010, 14:34   #10
hatidua

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts243 View Post
I've always assumed they are usually involved w non defensive or illegitimate shootings just assuming that most ppl have silencers bc they don't want to be heard when they shoot...
Wrong. (and it's "suppressor", not silencer - 'silencer' is a Hollywood/mall ninja term that inaccurately describes what the item is capable of)

Just about the only people you'll find with negative views on suppressors are those that know absolutely nothing about them or the laws surrounding their ownership.
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 14:37   #11
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
Free Fire Zone
Bad move posting that, especially on this website.

Its a joke

Last edited by GeorgiaRedfish; 11-20-2010 at 14:38..
GeorgiaRedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 14:39   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
Wrong. (and it's "suppressor", not silencer - 'silencer' is a Hollywood/mall ninja term that inaccurately describes what the item is capable of)

Just about the only people you'll find with negative views on suppressors are those that know absolutely nothing about them or the laws surrounding their ownership.
Old 11-20-2010, 14:40   #13
skipsan

The Form 4 which I just got back from ATF, calls the device a "silencer". I didn't fill it out, the retailer who sold me the device did.

For reference, it took five weeks to get the local LEO (sheriff Joe Arpaio) to sign the application. He did send me a written apology for the delay. The trip to the ATF took another 2 months.

All-in-all, its a gadget and an expensive one at that--$425 for the "device" and $200 for the stamp. As noted above, it would have legitimate purpose(s) short of clandestine use, but I got it as a novelty, and to "experience" the paperwork required. Given that the paperwork has to be repeated for every controlled item one would think that the market for supressors, SBRs, etc would be limited, but there are shops locally that specialize in that kind of item, so guess not. For the guys going after the full mgs, the waiting period is probably not a big deal.

FWIW, the supressor (Sparrow model, by Silencer Co.) makes the pistol sound like a pneumatic stapler using subsonic ammo. I thought the first shot was a squib until I saw the hole in the target.
skipsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 14:50   #14
Leigh

[QUOTE=hatidua;16330962]Wrong. (and it's "suppressor", not silencer - 'silencer' is a Hollywood/mall ninja term that inaccurately describes what the item is capable of)

Incorrect.

The term "silencer" was not an invention of Hollywood at all.

While not technically correct, it was coined by Hiram Maxim around 1902.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 15:02   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I prefer to be quiet when I shoot. I am not doing something illegal, I just don't want to draw attention to myself.
Old 11-20-2010, 15:59   #16
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
Incorrect.

The term "silencer" was not an invention of Hollywood at all.

While not technically correct, it was coined by Hiram Maxim around 1902.
Leigh is Absolutely correct. In fact, Hiram Maxim developed his "Silencers" for both firearms and that new fangled internal combustion engine in tandem. In England, they call the muffler of a car "silencer" to this day. If you look at the 5320.4 you will see that box C that asks for the "type of firearm" will clearly state "Muffler or Silencer" among the choices. Suppressor does not show on the form at all.

My form 4's all say "Silencer" in the item description. Silencer is indeed the "Legal" term still used today.

Last edited by rjrivero; 11-20-2010 at 16:06..
Old 11-20-2010, 16:15   #17
TkFF

Personally, I own them because they make me smile. Plus they make everyone who fires my weapons smile and giggle at how absurdly quiet it is. This is especially true with my Osprey 45 using 9mm 158gr subsonics. But generally speaking, they are not as quiet as the movies portray them to be. My AAC M4-1k on the 10.5 AR is still loud.

On the serious side, I enjoy collecting firearms of different types, NFA stuff included.
Free Fire Zone
TkFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 16:22   #18
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRedfish View Post
Bad move posting that, especially on this website.
That is a 100 yard target, her first time with that rifle.
She can take care of herself.

It would take a fool to make an off-color comment about a photo of a female proficient with firearms. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned holding a sniper rifle..........

Last edited by DustyJacket; 11-20-2010 at 16:22.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2010, 16:29   #19
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof60 View Post
... I have even shot .22's with nothing more than a 20 oz plastic soda bottle that made it near-silent...
Not a good idea to admit to a federal offense in such a public place.......... unless you paid the $200 tax on that bottle.

Last edited by DustyJacket; 11-20-2010 at 16:30..
Old 11-20-2010, 16:41   #20
rjrivero

Quote:
Not a good idea to admit to a federal offense in such a public place.......... unless you paid the $200 tax on that bottle.
As long as he did it in EUROPE, it would be OKAY, I guess.....

Since we're putting up pictures of our Stamped toys, here's my Frankengun: 9mm AR with a Trident 9.

Free Fire Zone

Last edited by rjrivero; 11-20-2010 at 16:43..