Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2010, 20:14   #1
wrx04

How do you get a 14" barrel?

I was just curious about the hoops you have to jump through to get a short barrel shotgun? If i wanted one for my 870, how do i go about doing it? From the little ive read on here, it sounds like you need to pay a $200 fee, but is that it? Does it vary state to state? Is there even a functional difference compared to a 18.5" barrel?

Thanks
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 22:28   #2
Spiffums
I.C.P.

You have to do that Form 1 which comes with a tax stamp. I don't know about on GT but over on M4Carbine.net they have a PDF of the NFA rule book.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46   #3
-gunut-

1. Go to the ATF webpage and order a couple Form 1s, fingerprint cards, and a declaration of citizenship form. It is free and will be mailed to your door.
2. Fill out all forms and have your chief LEO sign off on the form 1 (both copies)
2.5 Attach passport photos to each forms (I used tape IIRC)
3. Get the fingerprints taken care of
4. Mail all the completed forms to the ATF along with a personal check made out for $200

wait...

Once approved:
1. Have someone engrave your name and city/state on the firearm to the required size and depth (which can be googled).
2. Saw away to the length you stated on the form!

Keep the original Form 1 copy in your safe and always carry around a copy. In Oregon, you can arrested if you do not carry a copy, but in the "defense" section is says that you will not be prosecuted if it is in fact legal. Don't risk the ride! Always carry a copy around. I have often had cops drive past as I was blasting my full auto UZI but have never been asked to show forms. It does happen from time to time I hear.

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
-gunut- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49   #4
-gunut-

It does sound like a lot of work, but once you do it it is fairly easy (probably because the process takes a few months so the work is a little spread out).

Once I am back in the states I will be selling my STG-556 and working on 3 NFA projects. A SBR VZ 61 Skorpion, cutting my 870 barrel down to the end of the magazine tube, and I am going to chop down a Stoeger double bbl shotgun I just purchased.

NFA is addicting! Be careful!

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52   #5
-gunut-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
Is there even a functional difference compared to a 18.5" barrel?
Thanks
18" is the federal minimum. 18.5" is often done by private individuals so they don't make it too short. With a 14" barrel your spread will be a little wider, but not by much. You always have the option of threading the barrel for chokes so you can get the spread how you like it. I am chopping mine to the end of the mag tube simply so it is a maneuverable weapon indoors. IIRC the length will be around 10.5-11". With a +1 magazine extension it will be the length of your 14" barrel. I'll check the spread when I cut mine and see if I want to install chokes from there.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2010, 13:17   #6
DPris

Keep in mind that the barrel wall thickness on an 870 may or may not accommodate threads for chokes.
They can vary.
Another alternative is buying a factory short barrel from Remington, with fixed choke already there.
Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 13:56   #7
-gunut-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Keep in mind that the barrel wall thickness on an 870 may or may not accommodate threads for chokes.
They can vary.
Another alternative is buying a factory short barrel from Remington, with fixed choke already there.
Denis
Ahh, that's good to know!

Quote:
Old 11-18-2010, 14:15   #8
DPris

When the original Scattergun Tech did my 14-incher, they cut a factory barrel back, eliminating the choke. To remedy that, they precisely machined the inside of the muzzle to accept a modified choke sleeve very tightly fitted & epoxied in place.
If the barrel walls had been thick enough, they would have used a threaded choke approach.

The current Scattergun Tech doesn't address this in cutting barrels down, as far as I know.

Remington sells a 14-inch 870 barrel with modified choke as a drop-in. HAS TO BE USED WITH THE PROPER PAPERWORK!

Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 17:55   #9
A3middie
Infidel

Tagged....
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48   #10
Scattergun1187
Vote Republican

Send a message via Yahoo to Scattergun1187
If you do a Living Trust you can by-pass all the fingerprints, and LE signature.
Living Trust is the way to go if you have a LE official that wont sign your paperwork.

Last edited by Scattergun1187; 11-21-2010 at 08:49..
Scattergun1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 14:50   #11
8th SPS USAF

14 " bbl

Unless you want a stock on it you could buy a AOW with the same bbl,
but only pistol grip. Tax stamp only $5.00. Check your state to see if
SBS are legal. Here in In. we can have anything, but SBS, so I got a AOW.

Good luck

8th
8th SPS USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23   #12
r2kba
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th SPS USAF View Post
Unless you want a stock on it you could buy a AOW with the same bbl,
but only pistol grip. Tax stamp only $5.00. Check your state to see if
SBS are legal. Here in In. we can have anything, but SBS, so I got a AOW.

Good luck

8th

The transfer of the AOW is 5$. If you make the AOW, its $200.00
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
r2kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 22:42   #13
CAR-AR-M16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
When the original Scattergun Tech did my 14-incher, they cut a factory barrel back, eliminating the choke. To remedy that, they precisely machined the inside of the muzzle to accept a modified choke sleeve very tightly fitted & epoxied in place.
If the barrel walls had been thick enough, they would have used a threaded choke approach.

The current Scattergun Tech doesn't address this in cutting barrels down, as far as I know.

Remington sells a 14-inch 870 barrel with modified choke as a drop-in. HAS TO BE USED WITH THE PROPER PAPERWORK!

Denis
I have a Remington factory 14" barrel with Modified choke on my SBS. It is flush with a Wilson/Scattergun 1-Shot Extension.

Free Fire Zone

Last edited by CAR-AR-M16; 11-22-2010 at 22:43..
CAR-AR-M16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:18   #14
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
Ahh, that's good to know!

But.... if you buy the barrel before you are approved and get your stamp.......and it is on the same property as your receiver; you can end up in the Federal pen with a big cellmate that thinks you're cute.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 14:05   #15
jimsfinns

You have to check state law, because the barrel could be barred despite the federal statute. here in the people's republic of new york the minimum barrel length for us non-law enforcement personnel is 18 inches
Old 11-26-2010, 02:28   #16
ph12321
Tender Warrior

I've heard it say, NFA stamps are like potato chips.... you can't have just one!

Nice CAR-AR-M16
ph12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53   #17
Edjk

I start with a hacksaw
Edjk is offline   Reply With Quote