SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2010, 17:09   #21
FPNunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero View Post
As long as he did it in EUROPE, it would be OKAY, I guess.....

Since we're putting up pictures of our Stamped toys, here's my Frankengun: 9mm AR with a Trident 9.

Free Fire Zone
Very nice. Must be a joy to shoot.
Old 11-20-2010, 17:29   #22
G21ACPBeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Not a good idea to admit to a federal offense in such a public place.......... unless you paid the $200 tax on that bottle.
Very true! Very true. Next thing you know some techie at ATF is showing the boss how to track terrorists through personal ID tracers left in the meta when you posted that and as an "experiment" they knock on your door & ask in exactly what scenario were you shooting at what and using a coke bottle to suppress the sound for what reason? Hmm? BIG can of worms on that one!

Also, why has no one mentioned the reason that they are generally outlawed in the US? To the best of my knowledge it was because a bullet that passes through a suppressor becomes ballistically changed and the slug can no longer be matched to the rifling of the barrel of the gun it was fired from for a ballistic match to be used as evidence in a trial.

Last edited by G21ACPBeliever; 11-20-2010 at 17:33..
G21ACPBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 18:05   #23
TkFF

To answer your question, they are not generally outlawed. I believe 35 or so states allow civilian ownership. As to "ballistically changed" part, once the bullet leaves the barrel, the bullet never touches the interior of the suppressor to change the rifling marks on the bullet. The markings left by the rifling on the bullet would be no different than if fired unsuppressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21ACPBeliever View Post
Very true! Very true. Next thing you know some techie at ATF is showing the boss how to track terrorists through personal ID tracers left in the meta when you posted that and as an "experiment" they knock on your door & ask in exactly what scenario were you shooting at what and using a coke bottle to suppress the sound for what reason? Hmm? BIG can of worms on that one!

Also, why has no one mentioned the reason that they are generally outlawed in the US? To the best of my knowledge it was because a bullet that passes through a suppressor becomes ballistically changed and the slug can no longer be matched to the rifling of the barrel of the gun it was fired from for a ballistic match to be used as evidence in a trial.
TkFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 18:29   #24
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
... To the best of my knowledge it was because a bullet that passes through a suppressor becomes ballistically changed and the slug can no longer be matched to the rifling of the barrel of the gun it was fired from for a ballistic match to be used as evidence in a trial.
Nope.
Now in the 1960s and earlier there were some with rubber or felt wipes that touched the bullet, but not enough to change the rifling.

The original reason was to stop poachers.
Old 11-20-2010, 20:09   #25
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNunes View Post
Very nice. Must be a joy to shoot.
Thanks. It is. The fact that it uses GLOCK mags even more so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G21ACPBeliever
If you're using a modern suppressor and you're bullets are touching your baffles, you ruined your suppressor!

There is no good reason to "outlaw" suppressors. I'm not sure how prevalent poaching is, but I can't see that poaching on the top 10 crimes in America. They pass a LOT of laws under the guise of preserving "Sporting Uses" in America.

Last edited by rjrivero; 11-20-2010 at 20:11..
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 20:19   #26
rockabillyrider

Quote:
Incorrect. You get too much info from Hollywood.

Unless you fabricate your own without a Form 1 (illegal), or steal one (illegal), you have to jump through paperwork hoops and wait time that make California gun laws look friendly. (In the USA - in some other countries you can go to the hardware store for one.)

It reduces my firearms to hearing safe and really reduces the recoil of my .308 - my daughter loves shooting that rifle.

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone

Free Fire Zone
Are you growing marijuana in the back yard????
rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 20:22   #27
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

red raspberries

My FIL's yard in TN
Old 11-20-2010, 20:24   #28
jtull7
Pistolero

It is only my opinion, but, if one has a silencer or wants a silencer:

1. You are the people who 99% of the ordinary American public thinks is a dangerous gun nut;

2. Normal gun owners are asking themselves, what conceivable reason would a normal gun-owning person need a silencer?

3. You are probably a "wanna-be" who wears tactical sunglasses and has a bayonet on your AR.

I'm sorry, but give me a break. No flame. If it's legal, and it floats your boat, no matter what I happen to think of your boat, it's your right to be as weird as you want to be. It's America.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 20:34   #29
Flatline

Here in WA we have some fun laws about suppressors: we can own, mount, and have ammo in a gun with a suppressor, but it's illegal to shoot. To do all of this of course we have to pay the tax to the ATF.

I have the Magpul pistol DVDs and they talked about how they liked to use suppressors in their home so that they could still hear after shooting. They went into that by saying further it'll help them know the location of their loved ones. Sounds like reasoning to CYA.
Flatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 20:45   #30
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post

1. You are the people who 99% of the ordinary American public thinks is a dangerous gun nut;

3. You are probably a "wanna-be" who wears tactical sunglasses and has a bayonet on your AR.
wrong.
Old 11-20-2010, 20:45   #31
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Nope.
Now in the 1960s and earlier there were some with rubber or felt wipes that touched the bullet, but not enough to change the rifling.

The original reason was to stop poachers.
Wipes are coming back.
At least one manufacturer is using them on a new model.

The idea is that it allows them to make a smaller and lighter suppressor.
It also allows them to make a 9mm suppressor that will be quiet when used as a 22lr suppressor.

The down side is that the suppressor is only quiet for a few rounds.

Last edited by RWBlue; 11-20-2010 at 20:47..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 21:52   #32
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Perfectly acceptable topic in the free-fire forum, but not in General Glocking.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43   #33
rjrivero

Quote:

2. Normal gun owners are asking themselves, what conceivable reason would a normal gun-owning person need a silencer?

I'm sorry, but give me a break. No flame. If it's legal, and it floats your boat, no matter what I happen to think of your boat, it's your right to be as weird as you want to be. It's America.
A perfect example of exactly how successful Media and Pop Culture TV/Movies have successfully Demonized Suppressors.

"Any one who wants one must be on the lunatic fringe."
"Superior gun owners would NEVER want one, nor NEED one."

Let me ask you ONE question: Do you keep ear protection next to your nightstand gun?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05   #34
Christof60
Zombie Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Great post, except for the Class 3 license.......No such thing, just a approved $200 tax stamp.

Really? I thought it was a Class III license you needed to mfg or sell full auto?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09   #35
Christof60
Zombie Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
Wrong. (and it's "suppressor", not silencer - 'silencer' is a Hollywood/mall ninja term that inaccurately describes what the item is capable of)

Incorrect.

The term "silencer" was not an invention of Hollywood at all.

While not technically correct, it was coined by Hiram Maxim around 1902.
But I (and I think the other poster) were referring to today when saying "Silencer" was a hollywood term... Of course, everyday Joe's and Josephine's still think Silencer, but weapon-wise people know it's "Suppressor"...

Last edited by Christof60; 11-21-2010 at 11:21..
Christof60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09   #36
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof60 View Post
Really? I thought it was a Class III license you needed to mfg or sell full auto?
Technically, if you want to manufacture and sell full auto/silencers/SBS/SBR/AOW, you would need to pay a Class III Special Occupational Tax annually, and maintain a Type 7 FFL.

Last edited by rjrivero; 11-21-2010 at 11:10..
Old 11-21-2010, 11:16   #37
Christof60
Zombie Slayer

Quote:
Not a good idea to admit to a federal offense in such a public place.......... unless you paid the $200 tax on that bottle.
LOL.... I better draw my shades and double lock the door...... I suppose holding a pillow at the end of a pistol would also get me sent to Guantanamo?
Seriously, I am sure they COULD nail you if they SAW you do it, or if you had them fixed to a weapon you had. But simply to say you did it just to see if it would work or not would probably not get you in trouble... Besides, statute of limitations expired years ago, even if they could PROVE it actually was done.

I'm just not that fearful or paranoid about the Govt..
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19   #38
Christof60
Zombie Slayer

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge it was because a bullet that passes through a suppressor becomes ballistically changed
Really? How does it change it? I have never recovered a slug fired from a suppressed weapon, but I cant see how it could severely change the rifling grooves.. Inquiring minds would like to know!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19   #39
Adam5

Quote:

Some of us 'normal shooters' like the ability to shoot without hearing protection on. When I'm coaching my 14 year old daughter on marksmanship it helps to not have to yell over ear plugs.

If I have to discharge a pistol in my house for home defense, I would rather not risk permanent damage to hy hearing, or that of my wise and daughter, or my dogs.

IMHO, there should be a law mandating the use of supressors for hunting. That way it's more polite to non hunters in the area and to other hunters whi may be stalking prey that gets spooked by your shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Adam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 13:02   #40
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

There are some places in France where you can be cited for NOT using a silencer.

In NZ you can buy them at the hardware store.

In many countries they are not regulated nor controlled in any way. Those countries have figure out that the only way a suppressor can hurt you is for someone to hit you over the head with it. And even then all you'll get is a bump.