SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:02   #1
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

Melonite..

Does anyone have any idea who does this type of finish work?
Cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:06   #2
Quack
Rent this space

Drake Oldham, but i'm not sure if he's doing guns that he doesn't work on.
http://www.drakesgunworks.com/melonite.html
He can probably refer you to who could do it for you as well.

also Coal Creek
http://coalcreekarmory.com/custom_finishing.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:21   #3
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

Thanks man.. I am finding out that Parkerizing just does not suit my needs.. that and I really do not particularly like the way it looks.. and if Melonite is any thing as good as Dave says it is..
Old 11-20-2010, 11:23   #4
Quack
Rent this space

melonite is good.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:52   #5
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

Drake's site looks great.. and reasonable as well.. thinking of going with the browning front cut to get rid of the fcs.. that way I wont need a carry bevel done.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:57   #6
BOGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrus View Post
...thinking of going with the browning front cut to get rid of the fcs.. that way I wont need a carry bevel done.

I never thought of that before!! That's a great way to eliminate the FCS as well as make the gun more aesthetically pleasing as well!!

http://www.ctbrian.com/ShotOne2458.html
BOGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08   #7
Quack
Rent this space

Drake does good work...there was a Colt that i was close to buying and it even had a flat trigger. a fellow on another forum has an EMP that Drake is working one. when i contacted him last year, he wasn't setup yet for the smaller EMP.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:18   #8
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

I am wondering if I could talk him into 15 lpi checkering on the front strap...
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37   #9
lawdog734

Where is he located?
lawdog734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:47   #10
Quack
Rent this space

Cuyahoga Falls. the Colt is at Pro Armament.

Quote:
Welcome to Drake's Gun Works. My name is Drake Oldham, and I have been interested in firearms, 1911-style pistols, and precision rifles for most of my life. I consider myself fortunate to have a supportive family, and an employer that allows me to pursue my interests in training and gunsmithing.

I began my career as a Police Officer working for a mid-size department in 1997. My assignments included Patrol, Special Response Team Operator/Sniper, and Training Unit. I left the PD in 2008 so that I could instruct firearms and tactics full time, and I remain a Reserve Officer in a neighboring jurisdiction.

My training covers the repair and maintenance of S&W pistols (3rd Gen and M&P), Glock pistols, 1911-style pistols (Ned Christiansen & Colt), Sig P Series pistols, Remington Rifles & Shotguns, and the AR15/M16 platforms (Ned Christiansen & Colt). I am fortunate to have received personalized 1911 gunsmith training from Larry Vickers and Bruce Gray. I combined their lessons into my own style of pistol smithing. You will see attention to detail, fit and finish, with a focus on making the most reliable and accurate pistol possible. I make carry and duty weapons, so nothing short of 100% reliable is acceptable.

My goal is to provide a quality pistol at a price that a working cop can afford while keeping my customers 100% satisfied with the service they receive. I will tune up an existing pistol or help you choose the parts for your next full custom build.

Please email me at drake@drakesgunworks.com so we can discuss your next custom pistol.

Last edited by Quack; 11-20-2010 at 12:48..
Old 11-20-2010, 12:50   #11
drc767
Navy CSAR

Last I had heard, Drake was not doing Melonite projects anymore. Also....DO NOT even consider sending a pistol to Coal Creek Armory!!!! They send it out to have it done, but I wouldn't let those hacks touch a water pistol of mine....they absolutely destroyed a P7M8 I had taken to them to have Melonited a couple years ago. They reassembled with the gas pistol upside down and the slide would bind when it was racked (It took them 12 weeks to do it, and I was quoted 4 weeks).....I called them up to complain and the guy hung up the phone on me, but not before I heard him say "*******k you" before the phone hung up. I got in my truck and drove 2 1/2 hours to Knoxville to tell the dude he could say that to my face if he thought he was such a tough guy (he suddenly lost his baddass attitude). They were very sarcastic about fixing the pistol and assembling it the correct way......That place will never see another pistol of mine.....EVER!!!
As far as Melonite goes, it is a great finish for a carry pistol. It is not the sexiest finish in the world, but it sure is tough as hell and takes the daily abuses of carry very easily. It is my preferred finish for a carry pistol.....the only problem is finding someone to do it.

Last edited by drc767; 11-20-2010 at 13:04..
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:54   #12
Quack
Rent this space

yep, he wasn't doing it, but he can probably lead them to someone who does.
no experience with Coal Creek.

these are from Drake.

1911 Forums

before:
1911 Forums

after:
1911 Forums

Last edited by Quack; 11-20-2010 at 12:56..
Old 11-20-2010, 13:03   #13
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
yep, he wasn't doing it, but he can probably lead them to someone who does.
no experience with Coal Creek.

these are from Drake.

1911 Forums

before:
1911 Forums

after:
1911 Forums
Those a slick!!! Drake used to doesa hell of a job on the Melonite. To bad he does not it anymore.

Last edited by drc767; 11-20-2010 at 13:03..
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 14:29   #14
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

On Drake's website he says that he does not do the melonite unless he has worked on the gun.. so this kinda kills 2 birds with one stone for me.. as I was considering sending it off to Clarks custom for his radical meltdown treatment.. but if Drake can shave off the fcs with the browning cut.. and if I can talk him into 15 lpi checkering on the front strap, then I do not see a problem with him doing the melonite on the pistol.
Old 11-20-2010, 14:32   #15
samuse

[QUOTE=Quack;16330552]

1911 Forums

Is this a Kimber??

If it is, then it's the first one I've seen that I really like!

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 14:42   #16
Quack
Rent this space

no idea, but probably is.

Old 11-20-2010, 15:30   #17
Hokie1911
><><><><><

[QUOTE=samuse;16330950]
Quote:

Is this a Kimber??

Looks like it. Looks like a tweaked Custom TLE.

Last edited by Hokie1911; 11-20-2010 at 15:34..
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 16:18   #18
asiparks

Drake did my CBOB, flush cut and recrowned the barrel and did the slide stop mod. as well as a few tidy up bits, can't say enough about how impressed i was with his professionalism and work....
before:

1911 Forums

After:

1911 Forums
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 16:21   #19
asiparks

[QUOTE=samuse;16330950]
Quote:

1911 Forums

Is this a Kimber??

it is, the owner has had it up for sale a couple of times on various forums....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 16:42   #20
bac1023

Quote:
melonite is good.

Its not the prettiest finish, but its tough and durable.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote