Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2010, 20:16   #1
blueroot

SBR vs. pistol

Would you pick a short barreled rifle (in .223 or 6.8) or a handgun (of any common caliber) for home defense? I've heard a number of a negatives regarding SBRs, and I've never fired one, but they seem like they would also offer a few positives over a handgun and still be more maneuverable than full length rifles and shotguns in the confines of a home.
blueroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 19:41   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

If it's either/or, I'd go handgun...you can take it out and about with you almost anywhere when that becomes necessary (assuming it's legal in the given jurisdiction)...you can answer the door with it discreetly without getting an aggravated assault charge from whomever's on the other side of the door...and if you have to go mobile inside the house, it leaves a hand free to hold a cell phone or do other tactically useful things.

I personally suggest and handgun AND long gun approach. The handgun is "infantry", when you have to move, as in the situations above. The long gun is "artillery," when you've barricaded the family and want serious firepower to wield against whatever is kicking down that last remaining door between you and the intruders.

The maneuverability of the Short-Barrel Rifle is only an advantage when you're doing a building search, which is almost never a wise move for the lone armed citizen. It will be particularly loud when it discharges in close quarters such as a hallway, loud enough to cost you some hearing if you don't have ear protection. Finally, since there are many PRO-gunners who don't realize it is legal in many states for you to own SBRs with ATF licensing, you can expect ANTI-gunners in the prosecutor's office, or on the jury, to go nuts about you using a "sawed off gangster rifle" or some such BS.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 20:00   #3
blueroot

Thanks Mas.

In addition to my handguns, I do have a 16" barreled AR which I like, but when moving around the house it does require effort not to bang into doorways and such given the layout of my house. Losing 4" off the front looks like it would make a substantial difference despite not sounding like much. That's what started me thinking about SBRs. Also has me thinking about bullpups too. Or maybe I save the money and do more as you suggest and use the pistol when going to get the kids and then setup with the rifle when I no longer have to move about.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41   #4
blueroot

As a follow up question, what do you think of the FN PS90? I love the compact size and weight, but wonder about 5.7 as a defensive round, even out of a 16" barrel.