SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2010, 21:45   #1
Magus
Deo Vindice

RIA 9mm purchased, And Some Input Needed

Picked up a RIA 9mm today. I've owned many 1911's over the years, all in .45 though, this is my first 9mm in this platform. Always wanted one, and now I have it.

The pistol itself is pretty well put together for what it is. Should also note this is my first Rock Island...not bad...not bad at all...pretty impressive for the price tag.

The one supplied mag is made by Checkmate and I'm having a minor issue with it. It's supposed to hold 9 rounds, but the max I can get into it is 7. No matter how much force I put behind it, I can only get 7 in. Just wondering if this is normal for 9mm mags, or if it's an issue of Checkmate mags....I really don't have a clue on this one. Perhaps I should just load the 7 and let it sit to loosen up a bit?

I have not shot it yet. Probably going to wait until I can at least get a couple more mags first. My concern being if I go shoot it now with just one questionable mag I can't eliminate certain variables if it were to have feeding issues....such as the supplied mag for example.

Any recommendations for 9mm 1911 mags?

At any rate, here's a few somewhat crappy pics. I'll try to get some better ones up. My camera battery was running low and I had to rush. Bone stock except for the VZ grips I put on it. The stock wood grips on the RIA's are kinda fugly.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by Magus; 11-27-2010 at 21:46..
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 22:24   #2
Quack
Rent this space

i've never had problems loading the full capacity on Springfield/Metalform or Wilson 9mm mags. also another recommended mag is the Tripp Cobra mags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 22:28   #3
Magus
Deo Vindice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
i've never had problems loading the full capacity on Springfield/Metalform or Wilson 9mm mags. also another recommended mag is the Tripp Cobra mags.
From a few other things I've been reading, I think I'd be in better shape in investing in any of the brands you mentioned. My dealer actually recommended the Tripp Cobra's, think I'll probably put those at the top of the list since you're now the second person to recommend them.

The fact that it only came with one supplied mag kinda sucks. I really don't want to bother shooting it until I can get a few different mags to try out. The gun itself seems really well put together though. The Checkmate mag though really leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Magus; 11-27-2010 at 22:30..
Old 11-27-2010, 22:42   #4
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

sexy pistol, go shoot it!!
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 23:02   #5
Liquid

from what i have read they are great guns for the price. i was looking at one myself. have you decided what grips to get? i think a nice set of black ones would look good.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 23:18   #6
bac1023

Congrats!

I love my RIA.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 23:23   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Is the RIA a ramped barrel?

I'm using Tripp mags for my Spartan, had issues with my shortish OAL reloads but ironed them out.
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 11-27-2010 at 23:23..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 23:36   #8
Wade-19

The RIA does not have a ramped barrel. To the OP, I am surprised that you can only get 7 rounds in the factory mag. I was able to get 10 in mine even though it is rated as a 9 round mag. Unfortunately, my 9mm Tactical was not as great as everyone elses seem to be so it went bye-bye.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:00   #9
MD357

+1 to buying some better mags, Wilson, Tripp, Metalform....
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:36   #10
Magus
Deo Vindice

I let the mag sit overnight in the gun with 7 in. Its loosened up some now, I can get 8 in and can nearly get 9 in. Will just continue to let it sit for now and hopefully loosen up more.

New mags are definitely a priority for this one.

May just go shoot it today anyway. I'll just disregard any feeding issues if I have any for the moment until I get more mags. This thing just seems like it's going to be a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:44   #11
WellArmedSheep
NRA Member

Tripp. They run great in my 9mm Trojan.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
WellArmedSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:52   #12

I would take the mag apart and see if there is something in the mag causing it to jam up.
1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:01   #13
Wade-19

My 9mm Rock had feeding issues with all the mags I had on hand. I had the factory mag, Wilson ETM, Kimber, and Metalform mags. They all worked great in my Kimber and my Guardian 9mm.
Old 11-28-2010, 14:59   #14
Magus
Deo Vindice

Success!

All 9 rounds now in the mag. Wasn't easy, but I guess the spring was particularly stiff and needed time to loosen up a bit. Much easier now. Still going to order several new mags though.

Last edited by Magus; 11-28-2010 at 15:00..
Old 11-28-2010, 15:03   #15
Magus
Deo Vindice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade-19 View Post
My 9mm Rock had feeding issues with all the mags I had on hand. I had the factory mag, Wilson ETM, Kimber, and Metalform mags. They all worked great in my Kimber and my Guardian 9mm.

Not extremely worried about feeding issues with this. If mine performs without issue out of box, then that will be an added bonus. Really just looking at using this as a range gun unless it proves/shows itself to be more than that. Even if it has issues, I'm not worried, the 1911 platform is one I'm pretty handy with....I'll get it to work 100% if it doesn't at first.

Love 1911's, but I'm on a budget and you'll go broke quick shooting .45ACP. For me, 9mm is far more economical. Wasn't looking for a .22 conversion, they're hit or miss for the most part. This is something I can go out and plink with and not break the bank. Sadly probably won't get to go fire it until next weekend though.

Last edited by Magus; 11-28-2010 at 15:06..
Old 11-28-2010, 15:06   #16
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

never heard of "check-mate" mags, seems to be a knock off of sorts....if you have mag problems like that in the future, disassemble the mag and inspect it. the spring may be in wrong, there could be something binding, the follower might not be seated correctly.....id gladly trade my 5" RIA .45acp for a 9mm version.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 11-28-2010 at 15:06..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 16:05   #17
Liquid

if you dont mind a ss finish these seem like a good buy.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/co199mm9rdst.html

i just ordered two for a dan wesson i just picked up.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 18:27   #18
Magus
Deo Vindice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
never heard of "check-mate" mags, seems to be a knock off of sorts....if you have mag problems like that in the future, disassemble the mag and inspect it. the spring may be in wrong, there could be something binding, the follower might not be seated correctly.....id gladly trade my 5" RIA .45acp for a 9mm version.
Checkmate is the brand that ships with all RIA's at this point. According to one of their reps on another forum, it's the only brand they'll warranty in the gun as well just FYI.

It's my first experience with Checkmate's first hand, can't say its been positive....I'm not impressed. I've heard of them before having been around 1911's for years now and the quality on their mags has pretty much always been hit or miss from everything I've ever heard. Better brands out there for sure.

Can't complain too much though. For what this RIA is, the pistol itself it put together pretty well, the one supplied mag though is kinda crap.
Old 11-28-2010, 20:30   #19
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

first it was Novak mags, then Atc mags...then some other brand....now "check-mate"......why dont they just get a reputable magazine and stay with it?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 13:31   #20

All of the above mentioned mags enjoy a good reputation.
1006 is offline   Reply With Quote