Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:42   #1
DonMcnut

Half mile wifi hop

Mom and dad live in a somewhat rural neighborhood that has been promised DSL/Uverse for the past decade or so. Recently however a select few of their neighbors have been able to get DSL but they were told that not everyone will be able to get it and those that do have it now are the only ones that will be getting it. The rest of the people are currently using an extremely unreliable Wifi company that has a tower in the city and puts towers on their roofs.

According to Google Earth, my house is only .47 Miles and I currently have 6mb down DSL. My question is, how tough (or possible) would it be to basically share my connection with them? They already have a pole on their roof with what looks like a directional antenna and I have worked a lot with smaller wifi networks in the past.
DonMcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:55   #2
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

A half mile?.... I'm not really sure any sort of "home" repeater s going to get you that far, but it'll be interesting to see informed responses.

I'm assuming your parents cannot see your ESSID from their home?

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11   #3
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

I've done almost a mile on a farm I wired with an older version of these.

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.ph...s/9176-eoa7530

Remember that wi-fi is a two way street so you need one at both ends.

It needs to be line of sight also.

Last edited by Patrick Graham; 11-29-2010 at 11:12..
Patrick Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19   #4
DonMcnut

I know I am going to have to use a nicer outdoor directional antenna on both sides but I am actually thinking about using DD-WRTed routers on each side. I am still in the research phase but I know it is possible (their current ISP antenna is close to a mile right now) and I am just looking for experiences.
DonMcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25   #5
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMcnut View Post
I know I am going to have to use a nicer outdoor directional antenna on both sides but I am actually thinking about using DD-WRTed routers on each side. I am still in the research phase but I know it is possible (their current ISP antenna is close to a mile right now) and I am just looking for experiences.
Whats the line of sight like between you and your dads? I'm a
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25   #6
srhoades

For those kind of end to end wireless connections it needs to be line of sight, change in terrain, trees etc will eat the signal alive. Definitely doable with strong enough antennas on each end.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:38   #7
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Have they given any thought about satellite internet service
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36   #8
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Have they given any thought about satellite internet service
Honestly, he probably wouldn't get much better service out of satellite, not to mention it is also usually outrageously expensive.
RIP Jack
Old 11-29-2010, 12:48   #9
kc8ykd

i've worked with some fixed point to point and point to multi-point wireless in the past, using 900mhz/2.4ghz and licensed spectrum.

what you want to do is entirely possible, dependent on a couple things.
a. the terrain between locations
b. the antennas used

before you get real far into your project, do this:
stand on your roof and see if you can get a clear sight path to your far end. using optics is fine, you want to make sure that it's free of obstructions, trees, chimney's and anything else.

if you're going to use 2.4ghz equipment and you see a part of a pine tree in your way, stop there.
pine tree 'leaves' are excellent at refracting 2.4ghz signals, they act like a broken mirror to a beam of light.

if you see a clear path, make sure you've got good mount points on both ends and get ready to unload some money on good cable and antennas.

dd-wrt isn't required, with good antennas on both ends you won't have a need for it unless you want to do some snmp monitoring that the pre-flashed gear won't do.
edit to clarify: dd-wrt won't be required if the equipment you're using will act as a bridge natively

check out your path and report back. if it's good we can start moving onto antenna choices

we'll also need to think about weather proofing connections, grounding, and entry points into the structures and placement of the equipment inside the locations.

the gear i've worked with in the past includes trango, moto canopy and cisco aironet and a couple others i can't remember currently (in addition to your consumer grade stuff)

one of our runs was about 10 miles, that was using 900mhz gear and very nice directional antennas.

Last edited by kc8ykd; 11-29-2010 at 13:41..
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 18:45   #10
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

DefCon Wifi Contest results from 2004:
Wi-Fi Shootout II
Most Innovative Antenna: "Turbo Crew" - 0.821 miles
Commercial "Range Box": 14.0 miles
Enchanced Power Homemade: "P.A.D" - 55.1 miles
Homemade: "P.A.D." - 55.1 miles

If these guys can do it, YOU can do it!!! That's some distance!

I'll be watching this thread... should be very good!

Download YOUR copy of Internet Safety Tips - "The Essentials"!
My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote