SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44   #1
noway

For arrows that uses plastic vanes

I have some question on these new arrow components;

anybody use the heat shrink quick fletchs? Care to give you opinions pro/negs on these?

And on the mini fletches, anybody uses these smaller fletching and how good does you arrow flys? Are the more or less accurate or more or slower in speed? and more or less noises?
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30   #2
smoke

I don't use the mini quick fletches, so I can't help you there.

My experience says 4" vanes for older slower bows. A little more drag on the arrow, but more stable/accurate.

I use 2" vanes on my newer bow (faster) with a fall away rest and it works great.

All my arrows are RH Helical, so the arrow spins. I also align my broadhead blades with the vanes, but don't know that it makes that much difference, can't hurt though.

Bow noise is a bigger problem that any arrow noise, IMO.

Make sure you know where your broadheads shoot as compared to field points. Ideally, they shoot the same, but you have to shoot them to find out. Don't assume!
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 00:40   #3
boomchakabowwow

hope i can help. i am a new member, but avid bowhunter.

the quick fletch work great! but they are expensive. i used to shoot the blazers, which are 2" vanes. they are great! but i upgraded to a faster bow with a drop away rest. i worried that i would get fletching contact, so i opted for a lower profile 3" vane. i use the FFP vanes.

they are just as accurate as any 4 inch vane because the material is stiffer and the profile is taller.

they are "the new black"..everyone shoots with them.

what bow do you have?
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48   #4
ctaggart

Assuming you're shooting carbon arrows and your bow is paper tuned, all you need is mini fletchings. Todays arrows are so straight that they don't need much coercion to keep flying straight. That of course all changes if your broadheads aren't straight, in which case they will themselves act as fletchings and steer your arrow off its course.

I don't have any experience with the quick fletch vanes but id do know my local shop uses a very small drop of super glue after they are installed.
Old 12-11-2010, 17:49   #5
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

I like the 2" quick spins. Once you fletch your own there really isn't much of a need for the shrink type.

Good luck.

Last edited by GeorgiaGlockMan; 12-11-2010 at 17:50..
GeorgiaGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51   #6
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post
Assuming you're shooting carbon arrows and your bow is paper tuned, all you need is mini fletchings. Todays arrows are so straight that they don't need much coercion to keep flying straight. That of course all changes if your broadheads aren't straight, in which case they will themselves act as fletchings and steer your arrow off its course.

I don't have any experience with the quick fletch vanes but id do know my local shop uses a very small drop of super glue after they are installed.
interesting.. is that on the BH or notch side of the or both ?

One thing that's a negative, if you mess up one vane, there no quick simple fix, without stripping the complete fletching tube off. I agreed the price seems quite high, I price these out at over $15.99 at BassPro.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08   #7
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

There's an archery forum thats about the size of this called archerytalk. Over there you'll see people that still you the old Duravanes, Blazers, mini Blazers, NAP Quikspins, the shrinkwrap ones, etc. The drop of superglue is for the leading edge of the fletching to keep it in place since thats where they usually come off at. Ctag is right about the broadheads. You'll want to spin test your arrows, or atleast shoot them with the broadheads to make sure they're flying straight. Of course touch up the broadheads before hunting with them after shooting them into a target. There's a guy named Terry over at the Ocala Gandermountain thats pretty good and he swears by the shrinkwrap ones. There's also a female comp shooter that swears by them as well (her name escapes me at the momument which is sad because I've got a signed picture of her). Terry isn't a typical store counter jockey. I met him at an outdoorsman event, and have talked to him several times. He actually knows what he's talking about, and I'd trust his opinions. Regardless, I think that as long s you go with a quality fletching, properly installed, and thats not making contact that you'll be ok.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote