SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 17:16   #1
Toorop

Boycotting antigun employers...

The carrying while at work thread got me thinking about anti-gun companies that forbid their employees from carrying at work. Why dot we list our employers and then we can all boycott them and let them know that until their employees have the ability to carry a firearm at work they will not see a dime of our money.

I work for Panduit Corporation doing sales. I am forbidden to carry while at work and when on sale trips using the company vehicle.

Where do you work?

Last edited by Toorop; 12-10-2010 at 11:59.. Reason: Correct spelling of co. name.
Old 12-09-2010, 17:35   #2
J_Rico

If we boycott your employer and you are in sales...will that not hurt you?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-09-2010, 17:35   #3
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
Where do you work?
GlockTalk.com
Old 12-09-2010, 17:46   #4
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by weybug View Post
If we boycott your employer and you are in sales...will that not hurt you?
I am willing to take the hit to my pay for this cause. And it will not hurt me that much but even of it did I willing to live with it. I will not be in direct sales much longer as I plan to transfer to an operational position.
Old 12-09-2010, 17:47   #5
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
GlockTalk.com
I going out on a limb and guessing they are pro-gun.

Last edited by Toorop; 12-09-2010 at 17:48..
Old 12-09-2010, 18:10   #6
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Boycotting employers seems to be self defeating. At least in a recession.
Old 12-09-2010, 19:30   #7
kensteele

Quote:
I am willing to take the hit to my pay for this cause. And it will not hurt me that much but even of it did I willing to live with it. I will not be in direct sales much longer as I plan to transfer to an operational position.
So you are listing your employer here, asking us to boycott them, and you are going to transfer to another part of the company that won't be hit so hard by a boycott?

Why not just quit the company if you don't like their rules?

I remember those other threads and while I don't agree 100% with the pro-employer side, this thread doesn't represent the so-called "anti-employer" side because your request is laughable. You are mistaken if you don't think a boycott to your company is going to "hurt you that much". What kind of person would ask the general public to boycott the company they work for? Did you show your employer this thread?
Old 12-09-2010, 19:39   #8
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
So you are listing your employer here, asking us to boycott them, and you are going to transfer to another part of the company that won't be hit so hard by a boycott?

I remember those other threads and while I don't agree 100% with the pro-employer side, this thread doesn't represent the so-called "anti-employer" side because your request is laughable. You are mistaken if you don't think a boycott to your company is going to "hurt you that much". What kind of person would ask the general public to boycott the company they work for? Did you show your employer this thread?
Almost seems more honorable to just sneak around with the concealed gun anyway...

Encouraging folks to boycott your company is probably a fireable offense just as much as getting caught with a gun against company policy....

Although, it would be much easier to find the new job without the "guy with a gun" moniker.

Buddy of mine got caught with one, fired. Talked to him later, seems the "well had been poisoned", he had to move out of state to find work. Seems somehow word got out to potential employers....
Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 12-09-2010 at 19:42..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:21   #9
Dogguy

Quote:
Where do you work?
I'm retired.

But prior to being retired, I worked in government service. In one of those buildings with a sign on the front door advising that weapons are not allowed. One of those places that an infraction of that rule could land you in a Federal prison.

So you expect us to boycott all government/quasi-governmental agencies--local through Federal level? Good luck on mailing a letter, flying out of an airport, vacationing in a National Park, hunting in a National Forest, etc.

Oh, yeah. Also good luck on filing for your unemployment compensation benefits.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31   #10
dudel

Quote:
I work for Pandut Corporation doing sales. I am forbidden to carry while at work and when on sale trips using the company vehicle.
If you feel so strongly, why are you there? Tell them your objections and leave.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:35   #11
Rick O'Shay

I avoid gas stations that sell fuel from Shell & Phillips66. Remember their searching employees' cars on public parking areas, and firing the ones with firearms in their cars?

Any business with no firearms posted on the door do not get any business from me.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:12   #12
4runner freak

You have to realize that companies that allow guns in the work place have to have a much higher hazard insurance policy. Lots of companies have the "no weapon" policy simply to save money.
And OP, you need to delete this thread as employers are doing much more internet research on prospective and current employees. If they find this, you will be fired on the spot.
Just my $.02

Last edited by 4runner freak; 12-10-2010 at 10:12..
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25   #13
Grammy
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner freak View Post
You have to realize that companies that allow guns in the work place have to have a much higher hazard insurance policy. Lots of companies have the "no weapon" policy simply to save money.
And OP, you need to delete this thread as employers are doing much more internet research on prospective and current employees. If they find this, you will be fired on the spot.
Just my $.02

Old 12-10-2010, 10:26   #14
md2lgyk

I presume you mean "Panduit" Corporation? I don't think any boycott initiated here would have much of an effect on their sales.

Carrying at work isn't even a possibility for me - I work in MD.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28   #15
dudel

Quote:
Just my $.02
May have even been posted from a company computer.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:59   #16
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I presume you mean "Panduit" Corporation? I don't think any boycott initiated here would have much of an effect on their sales.

Carrying at work isn't even a possibility for me - I work in MD.
Correct.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00   #17
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post

The transfer is more of a promotion if you will. Irregardless the whole company would be hurting if people boycotted them. The same can be said of any company.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:04   #18
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
If you feel so strongly, why are you there? Tell them your objections and leave.
I have no objections to them banning guns on company property. That is why I don't mind it. However there are many people on here who do object to it and continue against policy. Why don't they use this alternative means of fighting the system rather than just break company policy? This isn't the cowards way out and "just concealing it because I can get away with it". Nor is it the dishonorable way and breaking the agreement that you have with your employer.

I am not to worried about being able to carry at work. I don't carry at work because I respect the property owners rights to limit what comes on their property. I gave my word when I signed that work agreement and as an honorable man I keep it.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07   #19
Toorop

Quote:
Just my $.02
I have no problem if these current and prospective employers look me up as I have not done anything wrong.

So it is ok for them to ban employees from carrying because it will save them some cash on insurance? What about the lives of the employees? They could be killed if they don't have their sidearms with them?

If the company bans customers from carrying in their stores and posts signs, is that ok as well?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:28   #20
4runner freak

Quote:
I have no problem if these current and prospective employers look me up as I have not done anything wrong.

So it is ok for them to ban employees from carrying because it will save them some cash on insurance? What about the lives of the employees? They could be killed if they don't have their sidearms with them?

If the company bans customers from carrying in their stores and posts signs, is that ok as well?
1. Suggesting a boycott of the company that you work for will very likely get you reprimanded if not fired.

2. Lots of companies don't care about their employees at all(Hence the firing of employees that defended themselves). It is a money game, not a good boy/girl pat on the back, game.

3. Of course it is fine for companies to post signs. I don't think that ANY company should have the ability to restrict LAW-ABIDING customers from carrying at all, but I won't shop at a place that has a sign, even if it is meaningless. Luckily, I live in CO and a sign doesn't hold any value and I've never seen one.

Comparing employee rules and customer rules are two different issues.
As a customer, I will find a different company to spend my money.
Employee rules are, to you, a balance of your job or your life, and, to your employer, are more to let employers feel that they are saving money and more protected(Which is a complete lie) from issues with angry people that have been let go. Do I think it is OK? No, but it is all about the money.

Last edited by 4runner freak; 12-10-2010 at 12:30..

Closed Thread