Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2010, 19:24   #1
KSU_Glocker

Google Chrome OS Notebook

Who all has received one of these amazing notebooks? I received mine via UPS yesterday and must say that I am quite impressed with the OS. The hardware is very nice also. However, I did have to put a logo of some kind on it since there is nothing at all. I think the Glock sticker looks great on the top of the lid haha.
KSU_Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 19:34   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Been meaning to try it... Got the torrent downloading for the latest release candidate now and I'm gonna fire it up in Vbox.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 20:03   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

First things first.. I'd have expected it to be based on Ubuntu... but its based on Opensuse...

Interesting.
Old 12-10-2010, 22:20   #4
Linux3

I didn't know about these netbooks.
I just now submitted my application to be a beta tester.
Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23   #5
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Been meaning to try it... Got the torrent downloading for the latest release candidate now and I'm gonna fire it up in Vbox.

IGF
I fired it up in VBox yesterday.

Seems like just another linux distro to me.

Apps that are websites? Or is it websites that are apps?

I'm having trouble getting excited about it.
Old 12-11-2010, 13:34   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Graham View Post
I fired it up in VBox yesterday.

Seems like just another linux distro to me.

Apps that are websites? Or is it websites that are apps?

I'm having trouble getting excited about it.
Maybe we're using a different Chrome OS... The one I have has installed apps, that have nothing to do w/ the web.
Old 12-11-2010, 18:32   #7
KSU_Glocker

Chrome OS is the browser chrome just used as an OS with apps that use tabs in the browser. It is all based on the internet browser, so all apps are opened in a new tab and run through a browser. There are no actual apps you can install to the computer, more like shortcuts to web pages that act like apps. It is different and I am actually growing to like it very much.
Old 12-11-2010, 18:45   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSU_Glocker View Post
Chrome OS is the browser chrome just used as an OS with apps that use tabs in the browser. It is all based on the internet browser, so all apps are opened in a new tab and run through a browser. There are no actual apps you can install to the computer, more like shortcuts to web pages that act like apps. It is different and I am actually growing to like it very much.
http://getchrome.eu/download.php

That's what I downloaded and put in Vbox... it has plenty of apps that have nothing to do w/ Chrome the web browser, or tabs, etc.

... ok, did some Googling...

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...%3Bs+Chrome+OS

Apparently what you and I are using, is different.
Old 12-11-2010, 19:55   #9
KSU_Glocker

yes, the second video is what I am running on the notebook Google sent me.
Old 12-12-2010, 14:02   #10
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

Quote:
Maybe we're using a different Chrome OS... The one I have has installed apps, that have nothing to do w/ the web.
No, we got the same one.

I was just commenting on Google's webapp thing.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Graham View Post
No, we got the same one.

I was just commenting on Google's webapp thing.
Eh, it's actually pretty similar to what they done w/ their last Google OS... so it wasn't much of a surprise to me.

I'm just really surprised it's based on Suse. I don't care... I think Suse is a pretty solid OS... I just figured w/ the overwhelming popularity of Ubuntu, they'd stay that direction.

IGF
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37   #12
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

Quote:
Eh, it's actually pretty similar to what they done w/ their last Google OS... so it wasn't much of a surprise to me.

I'm just really surprised it's based on Suse. I don't care... I think Suse is a pretty solid OS... I just figured w/ the overwhelming popularity of Ubuntu, they'd stay that direction.

IGF
I prefer either Ubuntu or Mint also.

I haven't done Suse in some time though and this release looks fine now that I've trashed around in it for a while.

Last edited by Patrick Graham; 12-13-2010 at 10:38..
Patrick Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 22:02   #13
Linux3

Quote:
I'm just really surprised it's based on Suse. I don't care... I think Suse is a pretty solid OS... I just figured w/ the overwhelming popularity of Ubuntu, they'd stay that direction. IGF
Basically you have your 2 branches of Linux distros.
RPM based, like Red Hat (Redhat Package Management) Suse, Centos, Mandriva and so on.

Then you have your Debian based systems like, well Debian and Ubuntu and Mint which is based on Ubuntu.
And a bunch of others but these are the big 2.
If you care click the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._distributions

I use Ubuntu now but I'm moving away because they are getting to different. Even Mint Linux has a Debian based release because more people are getting shy of Ubuntu.
I am a RHCE, Red Hat Certified Engineer and for years used nothing but Redhat or Suse and am starting to return to my root because of non-standard things Ubuntu is doing.
I can see Google using Suse because it is more LSB compliant AND it has lots of cross licensing with Microsoft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-15-2010, 22:28   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Basically you have your 2 branches of Linux distros.
RPM based, like Red Hat (Redhat Package Management) Suse, Centos, Mandriva and so on.

Then you have your Debian based systems like, well Debian and Ubuntu and Mint which is based on Ubuntu.
And a bunch of others but these are the big 2.
If you care click the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._distributions

I use Ubuntu now but I'm moving away because they are getting to different. Even Mint Linux has a Debian based release because more people are getting shy of Ubuntu.
I am a RHCE, Red Hat Certified Engineer and for years used nothing but Redhat or Suse and am starting to return to my root because of non-standard things Ubuntu is doing.
I can see Google using Suse because it is more LSB compliant AND it has lots of cross licensing with Microsoft.
Yeah, I understand the whole "Linux Family Tree".. . Probably almost as well as you do. Just w/ the popularity of of Ubuntu.. it kinda surprised me they went with Suse... not that there's anything wrong w/ Suse.... it just surprised me. I actually kinda like opensuse. The one problem I have w/ Suse, is its cross licensing w/ MS.

Ubuntu is just becoming a bit bloated.. but honestly.. It's still the best deal out there for a Linux virgin. It's easy to learn, and it's still "Linux". It's not like some past attempts(freespire? )... where in an attempt to be easy, they kinda got completely away from being Linux.

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 12-15-2010 at 22:30..
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30   #15
Linux3

Quote:
Ubuntu is just becoming a bit bloated.. but honestly.. It's still the best deal out there for a Linux virgin. It's easy to learn, and it's still "Linux". It's not like some past attempts(freespire? )... where in an attempt to be easy, they kinda got completely away from being Linux. IGF
I have been suggesting Mint for newbies lately. It's based on Ubuntu but all the multimedia 'stuff' gets installed by default. I know that with Ubuntu 10.10 they have made it easier to add 3rd party repos but Mint just does it.

Problems I have with Ubuntu is that /bin/sh is now a link to /bin/dash rather than /bin/bash and I can't count the number of scripts I have had to modify. I know, I know they should have started with #!/bin/bash but we all get lazy and used to how things were.

Plus 'vi' is an alias to 'vim' and I hate when aliases are real programs. I LIKE vi not vim. If I wanted vim I'd type it.
Never mind, I could go on but IGF, I think we would just bore people... lol

Old 12-16-2010, 10:43   #16
JK-linux

I applied last week for the Beta program, but never received a confirmation email that I had even registered. Ah well. Have fun folks!
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16   #17
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
I have been suggesting Mint for newbies lately. It's based on Ubuntu but all the multimedia 'stuff' gets installed by default. I know that with Ubuntu 10.10 they have made it easier to add 3rd party repos but Mint just does it.
In 10.10,to install all the multimedia stuff... all you have to do is be installng w/ your eyes open. Right before you install, you'll get a box asking if you want multimedia codecs, etc.. installed. Check the box, and they are all working out of the box.

Mint is fine.. I don't particularly care for it, but it's got nothing to do w/ the OS itself. I've really moved on beyond my Ubuntu days as well, but I still keep "up to speed" on it and actively participate in support discussions for it. Mint vs Ubuntu is essentially making a Glock vs XD argument. They are both pretty close to equal, but they have subtle differences that will make some people want to choose one over the other. Try both, go with what works.

IGF