SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2010, 17:40   #1
youngbuck
He's Tyrone!

When cleaning...

Does anybody have any recommendations for protecting thier grips from being ruined by thier cleaning supplies? Today is my first time to clean my 1911 (since I just got it) and I took my VZ grips off for cleaning. I did this partically so the grips do not stick to my cleaning mat and I am a bit cautious of ruining them by my supplies. Am I just being overly cautious?
youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:42   #2
Quack
Rent this space

only time i take the grips off is if i detail strip it.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:44   #3
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
I'm a bit confused...why would cleaning products get on the grips?
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:59   #4
youngbuck
He's Tyrone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
I'm a bit confused...why would cleaning products get on the grips?
I am not trying to clean the grips (obviously) just being paranoid that even a little amout of solvent or oil would ruin them if by chance it got on there
Old 12-11-2010, 18:16   #5
rsxr22

You dont need to worry about ruining your grips!! I never use solvent personally on anything besides the inside of the barrel though. I think mainly because i clean them for the most part after every use. One of the only solvents i know of that would hurt them is sure shot, unless your using that you should be cool. CLEAN AWAY
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 18:31   #6
gconan

Well, you need to clean them with something. Esmeralda recommends Feed-N-Wax for her wood grips. What are VZ grips made out of? slip2000 would not harm your grips. Perhaps M-Pro-7 also?
Big Dawg#672
NRA
Niners#52
Bladerunner#14
gconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 19:11   #7
MD357

I can speak from experience that non-chlorinated brake cleaner wont hurt VZs. What's more important is keeping away solvents from night sights.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 19:55   #8
rsxr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconan View Post
Well, you need to clean them with something. Esmeralda recommends Feed-N-Wax for her wood grips. What are VZ grips made out of? slip2000 would not harm your grips. Perhaps M-Pro-7 also?
G-10 are what VZ's are made of
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 20:00   #9
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxr22 View Post
G-10 are what VZ's are made of
Depends on what grips you order. They also use linen and canvas micarta.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:28   #10
Jim S.

I take my grips off every time I clean my 1911's.
I use nice wood grips and want to keep them nice.
I strip my guns every time I shoot them so it is just part of my routine.
Also on wood grips I use Minwax finishing wax on the back of the grips so it protects them from any excess oil that may get back there.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:31   #11
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post

I am not trying to clean the grips (obviously) just being paranoid that even a little amout of solvent or oil would ruin them if by chance it got on there
The biggest mistake people make is spraying all sorts of solvents, oils, lubes, and other crap all over their guns and leave them dripping wet to attract dirt, grime, lint, powder residue, fouling and taco crumbs.

You don't need to hose down the frame and slide CLP all-in-one magic juice where it's not necessary.

The breechface, extractor, and barrel are the only surfaces that require scrubbing with a solvent to remove baked on fouling. Everything else wipes off with a patch dampened with alcohol.

These Sig P226ST, P220ST, P239 are bone dry prior to applying grease on friction surfaces and a drop of oil to pivot points.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Grease on rails (oil disappears after the first few rounds) and oil on pivot points.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

The 220 and 226 shots shown above were taken after 5k round details stripping regimen, and routine cleaning of the 239 while still wearing $160 KN Nill stocks.

Last edited by Cobra64; 12-12-2010 at 10:37..
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41   #12
Hokie1911
><><><><><

That's good info Mark. Here I was thinking I was the only guy that had issues with keeping taco crumbs out of there.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:04   #13
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post

Throw out the spray can.

1911 Forums
Old 12-12-2010, 16:13   #14
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieshooterG23 View Post

That's good info Mark. Here I was thinking I was the only guy that had issues with keeping taco crumbs out of there.
Paul, I actually first heard that expression from a cop. Of course my response had to do with donuts.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40   #15
youngbuck
He's Tyrone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
The biggest mistake people make is spraying all sorts of solvents, oils, lubes, and other crap all over their guns and leave them dripping wet to attract dirt, grime, lint, powder residue, fouling and taco crumbs.

1911 Forums
i hate when you show off your sweeeeet Sigs. makes me sad for being a newb

I assure you that I use no spray cans to clean with. I use Hoppes No. 9 and occaisionally Butch's Bore Shine for my barrels. I use an oil wipe for small parts and have a thin point oil dropper for certain areas. Also have Flitz for polishing the feed ramp and a tube of Wilson Combat grease I put on the rails. Thats about everything in a nutshell
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59   #16
Markasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
I can speak from experience that non-chlorinated brake cleaner wont hurt VZs. What's more important is keeping away solvents from night sights.
He's right. You could remove the grips but then you are just going to wear out the screw holes and make them loosen faster. I prefer NOT to use loctite on the grip screws.

My cleaning method is I use brake cleaner to hose off the guns then scrub with a tooth brush before it evaporates. Hose off again, go over with q tips the areas i may have missed, wipe clean, lube with clp and allow to soak for several minutes. Then wipe dry and reassemble.
The barrel gets clean with the brush and hoppes naturally.

I have a Hungarian FEG P9 with wooden grips and the brake cleaner, or tri flo or CLP has never hurt them. The grips are varnished or shellacked or something and have been doing this for over a decade. I have had problems with the screws loosening though! and removing them and reinstalling is only going to make this worse (don't particularly want to retap them if i don't have to!)

Last edited by Markasaurus; 12-13-2010 at 05:00..
Markasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49   #17
MajorD

never saw a need to remove grips- when you field strip (after 10's of thousands of rounds never saw a need to detail strip a 1911-I have not fallen in a swamp or anything with one however) the amount of cleaning agents you need are VERY small- my guns get clean with about 2 or 3 q-tips worth of clp. mostly the frame crud will just wipe off with a rag and pipe cleaners. Same for lube- about 6 drops for the entire gun is plenty- gobs of lubricant and cleaner as mentioned above do nothing but attract more dirt- if your 1911 will not run with light lube there is something wrong.
In fact the other day a friend of mine got a new to him used gi 1911 -we shot about 100 flawless rounds out of it- I asked him if he olied it before hand and he thought he did- took it apart and it was bone and I do mean bone dry.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 17:20   #18
gconan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
I take my grips off every time I clean my 1911's.
I use nice wood grips and want to keep them nice.

I do to. It's much easier to clean the magwell area.
Big Dawg#672
NRA
Niners#52
Bladerunner#14
gconan is offline   Reply With Quote