Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2011, 14:26   #21
Jitterbug

Congrats Nick!

AA7 is a really useful powder in 10mm, and loading several hundred "light" cast loads in the 180 grain range, will go along ways towards the learning curve before you start on the "hot" stuff.

I didn't go through your list, but a good powder dispenser, accurate scale and CHECK WEIGHTS, are essential in my book.

Along with several sources of published data...I always try to get a minimum of two sources of published data that are in agreement before starting a load.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 17:31   #22
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
Congrats Nick!

AA7 is a really useful powder in 10mm, and loading several hundred "light" cast loads in the 180 grain range, will go along ways towards the learning curve before you start on the "hot" stuff.

I didn't go through your list, but a good powder dispenser, accurate scale and CHECK WEIGHTS, are essential in my book.

Along with several sources of published data...I always try to get a minimum of two sources of published data that are in agreement before starting a load.
Thanks Jitterbug,

I'm currently working with AA7 but have a pound of Power Pistol and 800x to play with one of these days. I just finished loading 60 more rounds of my medium 180gr XTP load... (10.9gr of AA7) giving me a total of 160 rounds of ammo to shoot on my next range trip. WOOHOO!! I think I might load up a nice warm small game load with my cheapo 175gr LSWC/TC just for the heck of it. Soon, I'm gonna dip into my 800x just to see what all the hype is about, aside from corn flake type metering.

I freaking LOVE burning powder... especially when I packed them myself!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 21:13   #23
THE PUNISHER

I also have a Lee turret press (I think its a Lee 1200 classic) and my current load is 8.0 grains of ram shot silhouette and it so far is easy on the brass and its a blast to shot.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:17   #24
Jitterbug

Once you start enjoying the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that comes from safely making your own, you'll probably never look back…my groups shrink by about half when compared to factory.

My supply of 180 grain Gold Dot's is dwindling, and they seem impossible to find, so I just picked up a box of the 180 XTP's the other day. 10.9 grains of AA7 looks like a sweet mid-range load, I'll have to give it a try.

I spent a few hours yesterday researching for a 200 gr. Hard cast load. It looks like the 800x might be the way to go, either that and or AA9 but I don't know if the 800x would offer an advantage over AA9 at the velocity I'll try and achieve in the 4.25" 1911, given that it is a PIA to measure.

I’m not an expert by any means and I don’t want to offend anyone, but some of the “off the charts” loads some guys are running are on the edge in my opinion, I'd really hate to read about anyone getting hurt, so please be careful, especially with a 1911. Discerning overpressure can be a challenge, especially with the 10mm.

Many years ago when the .40 S&W first came out and in my more careless days I pushed a Sig 229 a little to hard while trying to max out a 135 Nosler, back then we didn’t have much 40 data and I took my load off a magazine article…no corroborating data, but otherwise I thought I was safely "working up" the load, once was enough for me.

I don't want to run my 1911 Dan Wesson CBOB at some of the pressure levels some of these guys are going with their Glock's, I wish I could but I have to wonder if the 1911 and especially a Commander is up to it, if I can get that 200 grain bullet safely running in the 1000-1100 fps range out of my 4.25" barrel I "think" that would be adequate for penetrating a Black bears skull in the hopefully unlikely event I'd ever need to brain one, when penetration is the order for the day, no other bullet style can do what a hard cast can.

Irritable Moose while fishing are another concern, I've given up stream fishing in northern Colorado, I’m too old to tango with a Moose in the willows, even with a .44! Not to mention the .44 is a pain to carry or hit with repeatably and quickly.

While on Beartooths website I noticed they have a 125 grain Hard Cast for the 9mm, I may even play around with that, since the wife carries a M&P 9c on our woods adventures, not that a 9mm is bear medicine but a Hard cast at a reasonable velocity would be better then nothing or any factory fodder in my opinion.

One of the nicest things about making your own ammo is that you can custom tailor the load, to your gun, shooting style and given purpose. And of course the wonderful 10mm gives you incredible versatility.

I've run a 185 grain Colorado Cast bullet over 9.0 grains of AA7 which gives me around 975 fps, it makes for a sweet shooting all round practice load for me in the 10mm.

I'm about ready to put in an order with Penn bullets for some 9mm, .45acp and 10mm range loads and plan on "toning" down my “range load” even more, I think a 170-185 grain cast 10mm bullet in the 850-950 range would be the ideal practice load for me and my CBOB. My goal is to mimic a .45acp target load.

Be careful, good luck and enjoy!

How's the Razorback holding up?

One of these days I’ll get my hands on a 5” 10mm 1911.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:41   #25
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Jitterbug,

I think that carefully loading upwards of max data using 800x, new cases and CCI300 primers with a fully supported barrel could be safe assuming you're hand weighing charges. Still, I'm simply loading to book max for now while I get some experience under my belt.

The Razorback is holding up GREAT... in fact, its better and better every time I shoot it. Slide is like its on ball bearings and it feeds 100% of EVERYTHING I feed it... and its still tight as the day I bought it. Its got a good deal of wear showing on it since its been my primary deer gun for the last 3-4 seasons (just little dings and scratches and all that) but it still looks great and has a lot of character. Also, I've never seen a smiley or sign of ANY kind, even with DT or BB loads. Nice, tight ramped barrel. I will have no qualms with putting full power loads through it, personally.

I can't wait to get my Fusion longslide this spring when its done being built. I think a longslide with a good heavyweight XTP or Beartooth bullet at high speeds out of that 6" tube will be just the ticket I'm looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43   #26
Jitterbug

The Fusion Longslide sounds awesome! I'm jealous!

I've been watching Gunbroker for Razorbacks...but, no gun money at the moment. Plus I need a 5" steel .45acp.

Darn 1911's

Last edited by Jitterbug; 01-24-2011 at 09:45..
Old 01-24-2011, 13:05   #27
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
The Fusion Longslide sounds awesome! I'm jealous!

I've been watching Gunbroker for Razorbacks...but, no gun money at the moment. Plus I need a 5" steel .45acp.

Darn 1911's
Hell, I'm even jealous of MYSELF! LOL...

As for the RZ... if you have a Cabela's around your house, go there. They've had CZ/DW Sportsman's on the shelves for months now. (Same as the RZ only has a FO front sight, SUPER nice).

Worth a look, at least. You might also be able to order off of their website. Not sure.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-24-2011, 13:11   #28
Jitterbug

It may be awhile before I "find" the cash...I just hope Dan keeps building them.
Old 01-24-2011, 13:59   #29
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
It may be awhile before I "find" the cash...I just hope Dan keeps building them.
I was in your situation with wanting a Razorback just a few years back... and it was like a large stone lifted off of my shoulders when I finally got mine. I love my Razorback. Keep your eyes on the prize, you will get one eventually. I would be REALLY surprised if they stopped making the RZ or PM (which are pretty much the same pistol aside from some minor changes).

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:08   #30
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Just finished a 50rd batch of what will be my small game 10mm load. 9.3gr AA7 under 175gr SWC @1055fps. Nice, light, hopefully accurate, cheap load.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-06-2011, 17:40   #31
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Just finished a 50rd batch of what will be my small game 10mm load. 9.3gr AA7 under 175gr SWC @1055fps. Nice, light, hopefully accurate, cheap load.
Far right...

10mm Reloading Forum

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-06-2011, 18:12   #32
Jitterbug

Hey Nick

Sounds like a good load. I used 9.0 grains of AA7 under a 185 Colorado Cast bullet, it worked out well.

Cartwheeled a running Cottontail with it, I was surprised on the clean kill with no meat damage...plus I was really amazed that I hit it!
Old 02-06-2011, 18:29   #33
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Hey Nick

Sounds like a good load. I used 9.0 grains of AA7 under a 185 Colorado Cast bullet, it worked out well.

Cartwheeled a running Cottontail with it, I was surprised on the clean kill with no meat damage...plus I was really amazed that I hit it!
I actually thought of this load as a way to hunt the smaller critters with my 10mm reloads. The idea is to have an economical, low velocity bullet with a nice, flat (but smallish) meplat to give the cookie-cutter effect on small game with head or body shots...that won't damage a lot of meat. The idea was to use lightweight lead bullet for this task but since my local reloader's shop only had these heavier Suter's Choice 175gr LSWC's in stock (for $8/100!) I got them instead of a lighter round. I suppose a normal FMJ would work but jacketed bullets are a bit more expensive and the SWC load seems like it would have a bit more 'bite' for shots that might "nick" small game. I'll probably think up a good round for foxes and coyotes (garden and chicken protection) and will eventually work up really hot whitetail loads... and probably eventually a monster hog load.

Ahh the joys of reloading

GOOD JOB ON THAT RABBIT!

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 02-06-2011 at 18:30..
Old 02-08-2011, 13:51   #34
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Just loaded up 50 more of my small game load which only took 20 minutes. I'm real comfortable with my setup now and honestly feel that I'll never buy factory ammo again except for maybe CCW.

Loving it!!!

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 02-08-2011 at 13:52..
Old 02-08-2011, 14:10   #35
Jitterbug

Ain't that the truth!

I've read quite a few of the arguments for and against using handloads for S.D. and I can appreciate both sides of it.

But at $1.00 to $1.50 per round???

I may be able to afford carrying it but I can't afford to practice with it or cycle it through my CCW guns, I do unload them from time to time and some "chew up" the unfired ammo more then others, not to mention the potential of setback is increased so this cycled ammo get's put into the "practice box"

I know it's controversial but as soon as I go through my current inventory of factory Gold Dot's I'll probably settle on a hand load.
Old 02-08-2011, 14:16   #36
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

I totally agree about the exhorbitant cost, however, I've got a controversial idea, too: I don't really need a lot of practice defense ammo. I know it's important for your defense ammo to work 100% but my carry guns aren't chosen for being picky with ammo so I shoot 10-30 rounds and if they function fine I go with the load. I can always handload some ballistically equivalent load to practice with. No sense in wasting ammo or money on testing ammo that obviously works.

As for using a handload for CCW, I may do the same someday, who knows.

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 02-08-2011 at 14:17..
Old 02-08-2011, 14:37   #37
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Jitterbug,

Couple more things.

First, just FYI, that 10.9gr AA7 - 180gr XTP load is nice and warm. It has a hefty kick but allowed me several sub-1" groups at 25 yards and a 2.5" group at 50 yards

Secondly, according to Fusion, I should have my longslide around the first of March. WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-08-2011, 14:49   #38
Jitterbug

Great shooting and good news on the Fusion!

I've been trying to purchase AA7 locally for about a month now with no luck. So I've been playing around with AA5 and Titegroup. I miss AA7 for the 10mm so I put in an order with Graf and Midway last weekend.

I just took a peek at my Hornady 7th, that looks like a good load, the AA9 load might be interesting too, especially since I have a couple of pounds of that on hand and I've read some good reports of AA9 and 180-200 grain loads.

I have a box of a 100 of the 180 XTP's on hand and tried to purchase another over the weekend, both vendors are out of stock, I'm getting a wee bit nervous about the lack of good bullet availability.

Gold Dots--Good luck on finding them.
Golden Sabers -- Available, but little to no published load data
XTP's -- Have been available up until recently.

Same thing in 9mm, .45acp and good bullet selection for .223
Old 02-08-2011, 14:53   #39
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

I would recommend trying some of that AA9 rather than the AA5 but that's just me. That AA9 is what I wanted to get instead of AA7... AA9 has REALLY good potential.

As for bullets, I can't find GD's either but XTP'S are everywhere I look locally.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-08-2011, 15:27   #40
Jitterbug

I got the AA5 for the .45acp, I have a decent 230 XTP load worked up with that, good accuracy and it does a nice job in the water jug test, expanding out to .688"

At 25 yards it'll put 4 into one hole then I get a consistent 5th flyer...I'm averaging 5-5 shot groups and getting under 3" (including the flyer) which I consider good for a 4" .45acp and my old eyes.

It must be that first round chambered phenomena.

Soon, I'll be running that same test with the 180 XTP in 10mm, I want to get that going along about 1050 fps, from my 4.25" CBOB, I'll give both the AA9 and AA7 a shot.

I have to get a chrono one of these days.