Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2010, 13:54   #1
JokerOne

Best value laser sight for a brand new Glock 17?

I'm new to handguns and just picked up a Glock 17.

Can someone recommend a good Laser sight that isn't more expensive than the pistol itself?

Under $150 would be preferable.

thanks
JokerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 13:59   #2
DLL9mm

Crimson Trace grips.
DLL9mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 14:04   #3
GaleForce

The LaserMax sights that advertise on this site are supposed to be good. I've heard good things about the guide rod laser although I have no intention of spending that much on a laser either. I'm thinking about getting the micro laser as it will leave enough room between the back of the laser housing and the trigger guard for my to rest my index finger on the trigger guard as I routinely do when firing my Glock. I have a G19 so their normal size, rail mounted lasers would come too far back (I have a cheaper knock-off version at the moment that's actually not bad, except for the same problem the LaserMax would have) but with a G17 I don't know if that would be a problem; the micro laser is cheaper than the normal sized ones though. I think you can get it from Impact Guns for about $105 shipped. A lot of people here like the Crimson Trace lasers but those will run you over $200 (maybe a bit less if you get it from another website) and personally I think they look ugly and bulky on the gun (although I do admit the grip activation is convenient) especially when there is an accessory rail. The laser I have at the moment was a bit cheaper than the LaserMax sights (the non-micro accessory rail one) and it actually works perfectly as far as adjusting W+E and not losing its calibration during storage/fire, and has a rail underneath like the full size LaserMax ones do. The reason I'm returning it is because, as mentioned, I'd prefer a Uni-Max Micro or something around that size. I hope this helped!

Last edited by GaleForce; 12-12-2010 at 22:03..
GaleForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 21:08   #4
JokerOne

thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 22:04   #5
EastTexas

Has anyone actually used the Lasermax Micro? I am looking at it for my G32,but I have not seen any reviews and I am leery about being the first Guy on the block to buy a new product. A hundred plus bucks is too much for me to spend on an untested (in the field ) Laser. I could buy a LW .40 Conversion barrel for the bucks.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:07   #6
rangerabn

i recommend the Crimson Trace grips, the version that uses the back button without a switch. Don't know about the latest version, the one that uses the grip button to activate and is more expensive. I had two Glocks using the older version and just bought a third one. Love them. Price around $200-225.

So far the CT people don't have a version for the Gen 4 Glocks. I am sure they will soon.

Last edited by rangerabn; 12-12-2010 at 22:08..
rangerabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:21   #7
sigpro-fessor
5 Times A Day

Question: why do you want a laser?

I ask because usually new gun owners want them for two reason. They think it will make up for lack of shooting skill, or for the cool/movie factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sigpro-fessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:54   #8
GaleForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
Has anyone actually used the Lasermax Micro? I am looking at it for my G32,but I have not seen any reviews and I am leery about being the first Guy on the block to buy a new product. A hundred plus bucks is too much for me to spend on an untested (in the field ) Laser. I could buy a LW .40 Conversion barrel for the bucks.
This thread has a few reviews; http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281025

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro-fessor View Post

I ask because usually new gun owners want them for two reason. They think it will make up for lack of shooting skill, or for the cool/movie factor.
To some extent this is like asking why bother having a CCW permit. Almost as if implying that the person is getting it because they're not actually going to use the gun but they think they'll be safe by carrying one around or pulling it on someone who is attacking them despite any practice with the weapon. In a high stress situation, especially when dealing with a moving target, it doesn't hurt to know your shots are going to land exactly where you want them to land. Sure the argument can be made that the laser has to be turned on but some go on just by gripping the gun and others it's just a quick tap. Everyone seems so confident of their ability to defend themselves under pressure but how many people on this forum have actually had to shoot someone in self-defense? I haven't, and I'm not pointing out anyone's flaws, I'm just using this sample group as an example. We all like to think we're going to be absolutely calm when someone is attacking us since we've practiced and had training, and I'd like to think that about myself as well, but realistically I know this is no substitute for the real thing.

As for myself say I go to the range with 150 rds. I'll shoot 12 or so mags using the iron sights and actually continue to improve my shooting ability. With my last few mags I like turning on the laser as a learning tool. If I notice my shots are grouping where I don't want them to (perhaps off a few inches in one direction) or I have a few too many flyers I can use the laser to know my shots are going to land where the dot is. At that point I can make adjustments to how I was standing, gripping, aiming down the sights, etc. based on the difference between hitting a red dot and my previous performance for the session.

I do agree with you to some extent though. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people just want a laser for the "tacticool" factor.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:03   #9
John Biltz

Armalasers work just fine. I have bought 3 of them and they all still work through thousands of rounds and several years of use and stay zeroed. They turn on when your finger goes inside the trigger guard. They are large compared to the new CTs but they are also half the price and just as reliable.
John Biltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:28   #10
Troy106

good luck at that price
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10   #11
JRS

Do you want it for carry/HD/any defensive purpose, or just as a range toy/learning tool?

If for defensive reasons, disregard what I'm going to say. But for range use and dry firing practice, I have the sig 900L light/laser I got for a song (well under 100) and it's great. Holds zero, quick on/off, and whether using the light or laser, is outstanding on batteries (only 1 x cr123 that seems to last forever).

But the buttons are wayyyyy too small to manipulate in a hurry, especially the laser button.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 21:24   #12
JokerOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro-fessor View Post

Here is an honest answer.. Both..

Lets assume that I need it in an emergency. The bad guy will have the upper hand because, by definition he, not I will be on the offensive.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Chances are I will have sleepy eye, etc. If I can scare an intruder out of my house with a laser dot on his chest rather than put a hole in him, I’ll do that 100 times out of 100.
<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by JokerOne; 12-13-2010 at 21:29..
Old 12-13-2010, 21:40   #13
JokerOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
Do you want it for carry/HD/any defensive purpose, or just as a range toy/learning tool?

If for defensive reasons, disregard what I'm going to say. But for range use and dry firing practice, I have the sig 900L light/laser I got for a song (well under 100) and it's great. Holds zero, quick on/off, and whether using the light or laser, is outstanding on batteries (only 1 x cr123 that seems to last forever).

But the buttons are wayyyyy too small to manipulate in a hurry, especially the laser button.
totally defensive. Not to carry. for home use only.
Old 12-13-2010, 21:52   #14
JokerOne

One thing that surprises me is that most of the makers of these list them as accurate up to 20 yards or so.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
However, I can buy a cheap laser pointer for about $5. So why such a mark-up on one that hangs from a holder on a gun? Is it the “shock” factor of the recoil as to where the money goes?
<o:p></o:p>
thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 22:41   #15
GaleForce

I've often wondered the same thing. The reality is probably that they can mark it up so they do. I mean a glock is just polymer and metal, the raw materials are pretty cheap, and they can sell that for a lot more than the sum of the parts because of the intellectual property behind the design. Still I have a hard time accepting that with lasers due to how incredibly cheap a laser is. The only difference between a laser pointer and, for example, a laser that goes on the accessory rail is that it can easily go on and off of the rail. Even if there are additional parts needed to keep the laser zero'ed and to allow W+E adjustments I still find it difficult to bring myself to spend over $100 on a laser. Something like the CrimsonTrace laser I can understand being more expensive due to it having a more unique design, and the same goes for guide rod lasers, but these two examples also seem more expensive than they should be.

At the end of the day it is probably sold for that because it can be; simple economics. I guess some companies can claim R+D costs (LaserMax with the guide rod laser, for example) as well, but the price definitely seems inflated to me still.
Old 12-14-2010, 18:56   #16
daveyjones

Choosing a laser sight that is both 'good' and 'not expensive'? Ummm, how about you settle for either/or, because there's not really a valid option for both.

My feeling is that if you're going to get a laser sight, you're better advised to get a good one than a cheap one.

A 'good' laser sight is a green one. Red ones just are not bright enough - I can't start to understand the good sense of limiting the brightness to protect eyesight on a device added to a gun which is designed to dangerous to the max. But the legislation is what it is, and so within the puny power available, you'll get a better aiming point, at all ranges and all lighting conditions, with green rather than red.

So, first part of the answer = go green.

Now for the second point. In a tactical home/self defense situation, if it is daytime, you'll simply turn the laser on and leave it on. But at night, your use becomes more subtle and strategic. If you just turn it on and leave it on, you may as well also put a flashing beacon on your head saying 'shoot here'. You need to be able to tactically turn it on for a brief moment, then off again. Then repeat as needed.

Most of all, you need to be able to do this without changing your grip on the gun. Oooops.

You need to check out the ergonomic factors of how you turn the laser on and off, and make your choice based on what fits with your grip and fingers, so that you can turn the laser on and off at will without interfering with your always being ready to fire.
daveyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:18   #17
TDR_50
CLM Number
TDR911

I make a good American made product at a reasonable price.

http://www.auto-laser.com/store/prod...?prod=SL%2D001

Sights, Optics and Lasers

They are available in left and righthand switches.

Last edited by TDR_50; 12-15-2010 at 07:21..
TDR_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 14:06   #18
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR_50 View Post
I make a good American made product at a reasonable price.

They are available in left and righthand switches.

$70.00? Huh.

What is the stated warranty? I didn't see it on the website...

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 14:44   #19
RayB
Retired Member

LaserMax Uni-Max

I did a little looking for the OP...

Here's pricing for the LaserMax LMS-UNI:

$164.00 With Free Shipping...

http://www.lasersales.com/product_in...oducts_id/1659

$149.00 You Pay Shipping (UPS Standard $14.00) = $163.00

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=104

I have the LMS-UNI-G, which I like well enough! This clever design does not preclude the use of a weapon light, should you want the option of adding one.

Activation is simple, intuitive, and ambidextrous.

The unit has a 3-year warranty...

I've found LaserMax, as a company, to be a class act!

--Ray
Old 12-15-2010, 17:11   #20
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
A 'good' laser sight is a green one. Red ones just are not bright enough... So, first part of the answer = go green.

I liked your post, and agree with your points and observations, except as quoted above...

I realize that your comments are directed to home protection applications. With that in mind, in my lovely state of Wiskonsin, I may be in deep doo-doo if I actually shoot an intruder; and unless a family member was being dragged off the property, I could scarcely justify pursuing an intruder outside my home, let alone having any shots fly outdoors—the law would be all over me!

In Wiskonsin, hungry lawyers scanning the police bands and news may well contact the perp or his family, and encourage a civil suit on his behalf. The legal fees alone could cost me everything, even though I'm entirely in the right on the whole bloody mess! This is why all states should have a Castle Doctrine, and a Stand Your Ground Doctrine, in addition to a CCW Provision. Guys, we all need to push for this!

Getting back to your above-noted comment, there isn't a room in my home, at any time of day, where our red-beamed LaserMax guide rod lasers wouldn't serve perfectly well in a crisis. This statement holds true for most every place I have lived.

Attached is a pic of a LaserMax "dot" in the full glare of a SureFire X200B weapon light. As you can see, targeting is no issue.

I also own a LaserMax Uni-Green, rail mounted laser, with a green beam, and you're quite right in that green can't be beat for 24-hour visibility, even in bright light; if I could only keep one laser, I suppose I'd choose the green one (I wish LaserMax made a green guide rod laser!) for that very reason.

But since green lasers (right now) are far more expensive than red ones, I'd submit that a red laser may serve the OP perfectly well for his in-the-home defensive applications, and more closely meet his budget.

Also, as a tactical matter, the Uni-Green does project a traceable beam in the outdoor air at night that leads right back to the shooter. A standard red laser, unless there's fog, smoke, rain or snow, would be a better pick...

Anyway, that's my input.

Good posting!

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 12-18-2010 at 06:34..