Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2010, 21:59   #1
Quiet Confidence

STI Spartan Problems

Ever since purchasing my Spartan i have had a reoccurring problem with the slide not slamming all the way home. It leaves about an 1/8" gap, about twice every mag, not allowing the gun to fire. I figured the gun just needed some breaking in so i kept shooting it. Ive put about 500 rds through it so far and the problem persists. So today i field stripped it, cleaned it, oiled it and put it back together. I took it to the range and now about every other shot the hammer does not stay back. I took it apart again and everything looked in order, but then again I am far from a 1911 expert. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 22:09   #2
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

get shipping label from sti and send back.
Old 12-12-2010, 22:10   #3
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
get shipping label from sti and send back.
This. They have great CS and will make it right.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:21   #4
Quack
Rent this space

the first issue sounds like extractor tension being too tight.

did you remove the mainspring housing and/or the sear spring?
if you did, check to make sure you installed the sear spring correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:47   #5
rsxr22

He mentioned that he just field stripped it, so I dont think that the spring is the problem. I would also give STI a call. Like everyone else has said, their CS is top notch
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:42   #6
Quiet Confidence

[QUOTE=rsxr22;16450351]He mentioned that he just field stripped it, so I dont think that the spring is the problem.

I guess my definition is a bit different. I did in fact take the entire gun apart(sear, extractor, mainspring housing)...everything. Ill give STI a call and see what they say. thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:54   #7
Quack
Rent this space

Like I had mentioned, extractor tension and check to see that you have your sear spring installed properly.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:21   #8
Quiet Confidence

Ok guys...so i took your advice and called STI. I told them the problems I was having and they told me to send it in and it would be repaired free of charge. Since I live close to their headquarters I asked if I i could drop it off. They said no problem. I walked in and the gunsmith that I spoke with on the phone met me in the lobby and long story short he fixed my Spartan while I waited in the lobby! All with a smile on his face and a handshake. I turns out the chamber was a bit tight so he bored that out, alsoI had incorrectly placed the sear spring. It took that gunsmith 20 minutes to make me a lifelong STI supporter and customer. Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52   #9
Hokie1911
><><><><><

STI for the WIN. Glad to hear you are good to go.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:55   #10
Quack
Rent this space

Good to hear.

At least I got one of the 2 problems correct.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29   #11
rsxr22

thats a real cool CS story, I like to hear that kind of stuff!
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:41   #12
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Confidence View Post
..... turns out the chamber was a bit tight so he bored that out, alsoI had incorrectly placed the sear spring.
That's exactly what I suspected from your postings. Good for Spartan for making a lifelong costumer out of you. The spring mix up is easy to do.

Why the fascination with non-GI barrels with the 1911 folks I'll never know. Most all the problems I encounter with folk's 1911s are the 'match' barrel not feeding well.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 12-14-2010 at 09:42..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28   #13
sirgarreth

This story actually pulls me toward my next 1911 purchase being an STI and leaving Kimber way at the bottom. Thanks!
S&W 1911ES, S&W 6906, S&W M&P 9
sirgarreth is offline   Reply With Quote