SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2010, 22:02   #1
Soviet937

Which one...

Hi everyone.

Im here to tell that I will be broadening my horizons within the handgun world soon here. i already own a G19 and wish very much so to get a 1911, already have 800 saved for it so far. so... my next question is, which one (as in brand) would better serve me as a reliable, WROL, SHTF type?, My top picks right now, are maybe springfield operator, maybe a kimber tactical entry II, but more so id like an authentic throwback to the M1911A1, which seems to me would be the colt government series 70 or 1991. lets just say if I had either one of these three i would not complain in the least bit, i just want a sexy full size quality 1911 to accommodate my glock 19.

thank you very much.

Its a shame stupidity cannot be converted to a useful energy source.
Soviet937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:04   #2
rsxr22

Out of the options you mentioned, i prefer the SA OP over any of the others. Colt makes a great 1911 as well, but they really just dont appeal to me
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 23:05   #3
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Try here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269683

There are a bunch of reviews, and photos. Several decent 1911s in the $800 price range. I'd venture to say if it gets a good recomendation in the FAQ, it is probably GTG. Like cars and women, we all have our preferences, so cruise the FAQ and feel free to ask some Qs if you are still unsure.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:53   #4
MajorD

kimbers are hit and miss springfields are made in brazil. I would go colt- I have several Colt I bought (primarily lightly used) off gunbroker for well under 800 bucks and they have all worked fine.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04   #5
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
kimbers are hit and miss springfields are made in brazil. I would go colt- I have several Colt I bought (primarily lightly used) off gunbroker for well under 800 bucks and they have all worked fine.
some Springfields are made in Brazil, though they all start from IMBEL (brazil) forgings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 14:11   #6
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
I would go colt- I have several Colt I bought (primarily lightly used) off gunbroker for well under 800 bucks and they have all worked fine.
And over pay for the name...
COTEFT #2

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 14:15   #7
Nickpisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
And over pay for the name...
And still make money when you sell them.......
Nickpisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 14:35   #8
tx787

I really like the 1911 and 9mm Glock combo. All my 1911s are within $100 of that price range, here are my thoughts. Kimber Custom II, best fit and finish of my three, 900 rounds so far with no problems except when using the factory mag (flawless with the Wilson mags). Desert Eagle 1911, a little less refined finish but still an excellent fit, really excellent trigger for the price, feeds JHPs without any issues. Colt Lightweight Government XSE, I wanted a Colt so I could have a Colt, and that's what I got. It has the poorest fit and finish of the three, the trigger and the grip safety both wobble, the trigger isn't as good because it's series 80. It still makes me smile since it's a Colt and I love the Novak sights.

If I could only keep one I'd keep the Kimber, I'm very superficial and it looks and feels great but I wouldn't use it for SHTF, that's what the G17 is for. If I wanted a 1911 for SHTF I'd keep the DE. If I wanted one for carry I'd keep the Colt since it has a lightweight frame.

My second handgun after the G17 was the Kimber, I wanted a sexy 1911 and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I'd do differently is spend the extra $100 for the TLE.

I haven't considered the Springfields since I don't like the fact that they are made in Brazil but the new Range Officer looks tempting, I'd check it out if I was making a purchase.

Last edited by tx787; 12-13-2010 at 14:36..
tx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 14:43   #9
MD357

Another vote for Colt but I like Springfields aswell. I don't get the overpaying comments, you can "overpay" for just about any 1911 out there. Colt puts out a good, quality product. There's gonna be lemons here and there as with any company, but their specs are better than most.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 15:12   #10
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

I just saw this listed: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...&#entry1347557

Mark (not me) is a great guy and this is a great deal. If it does not sell today, I'll probably buy it.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 12-13-2010, 15:16   #11
thecableguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post

Mark (not me) is a great guy and this is a great deal. If it does not sell today, I'll probably buy it.
Link isn't working for me
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 15:18   #12
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecableguy View Post
Link isn't working for me
Both just worked for me...go to brianEnos.com and search on member mpeltier
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 12-13-2010, 15:20   #13
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpisp View Post
And still make money when you sell them.......
yeah, to those that doesn't know Colts are overpriced. And they're just paying for the name Colt.
COTEFT #2

Old 12-13-2010, 15:38   #14
Nickpisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Another vote for Colt but I like Springfields aswell. I don't get the overpaying comments, you can "overpay" for just about any 1911 out there. Colt puts out a good, quality product. There's gonna be lemons here and there as with any company, but their specs are better than most.
Exactly.
Nickpisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 17:55   #15
NonPCnraRN

You stated that you liked the GI look in a 1911. The Springfield Milspec resembles a GI except it has better sights, throated and polished chamber, and a flared and lowered ejection port. The main difference in appearance is that the cocking serrations are slanted instead of straight up and down. It is exactly what we used to do to a Colt back in the day to get it to function with ammo other than ball, sights you could actually aim with and not have the brass dented and ejected back toward your face. With the arched mainspring housing, GI hammer and grip safety it has that " GI feel" to it. To be honest you may need some trigger work on it. My Milspec had an 8 lb pull. SA paid for Fed Ex shipping both ways. For $80 (now $100) I had an action job done by them and got a 4.5 lb trigger that breaks like a glass rod. If I had opted for a hardened tool steel hammer and sear (my gun is SS), I could have had a 3 lb trigger for the same price plus the cost of those 2 parts. I could have paid nothing to get a trigger that was in spec at 5.5 to 6.5 pounds. The action job is worth every penny of the now $100. SA's lifetime warranty is transferable and if work is done by the SA custom shop it is warranteed also. You can get the Loaded with more bells and whistles like a beavertail grip safety and Commander style hammer but then it looses the GI look. Milspecs are good base guns for additions after you decide what you want but it is good to go right out of the box with the previously mentioned changes to the GI model. To me a transferable lifetime warranty is better than the name Colt.

Last edited by NonPCnraRN; 12-13-2010 at 17:59..
NonPCnraRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20   #16
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post

And I did. I'll have it next week.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57   #17
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
yeah, to those that doesn't know Colts are overpriced. And they're just paying for the name Colt.
Well that seems to be your little secret.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:07   #18
MajorD

about the over pay comment- my last 2 45 cal Colts- a combat government and a 1991A1 were bought in the last 3 years off gunbroker or auction arms. Both were under 600 including shipping and ffl fees.
Considering the all brazillian springfield GI is runnig around 500 bucks I do not consider that overpaying in any way. The last one I bought last year was a Colt Gov't in 9mm which I ended up paying a hair over 700 for.Name another 9mm gov model with as good a rep as colt going for that price- oh yea there are not any.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:56   #19
brzusa.1911

SA, Colt, Kimber, DW, S&W...production guns - I go with SA!
brzusa.1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17   #20
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Well that seems to be your little secret.
No secret. To me, they are overpriced for the fit and finish of how much one pays for a 1911. Personally, I'm just not a big fan of their GS. The gap is just . Not asking for it to be like a semi-custom. But damn!

Colt Defender: retails for $850.
1911 Forums

Colt Gov't: retails for $750.
1911 Forums
COTEFT #2