Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2010, 20:55   #1
thinktwice

Light Rust On Kimber Pro CDP 11

My son just took his Kimber Pro CDP 11 out of the safe and noticed some slight surface rust in the slide. This is the 2 tone model with the black frame. He just bought the gun a few months ago, and keeps it oiled and cleaned. It has been kept in the original plastic case the gun came in. I was just wondering if any of you guys know how to remove this rust without damaging the slide. I can hardly see it, it's not bad or a lot but it's there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
thinktwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 21:10   #2
rsxr22

I would try with a light nylon brush, but honestly even as simple as a fix it would be, i would still call Kimber complain and demand a return rma #. I am so tired of Kimber's CS. They are such (explicative) and they need to start manning up to their mistakes. That is probably my biggest gripe with them. I got rid of mine and thought i was done with their ego's, but unfortunately i work at the store that i sold it to and have still had to contact them again. We took grips off to clean the gun and noticed they were cracked behind the grip, i called kimber for new grips, and they said theyd send em out. This was 2 weeks ago and I called again friday and they told me that they had no documentation of the convo or anything and that the rep couldnt have said that and required the old ones be sent back and "reviewed" for personal abuse before they would honor a replacement!! If they fixed their mistakes, it would be a different story
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 21:18   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

Don't keep it in the foam case for starters and if there's no other place then at least use a couple of those moisture absorbant packs( I forget the name for them).
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 21:33   #4
AZ Husker

You're storing your gun in a sponge. Let it breathe!
Old 12-14-2010, 00:15   #5
manly

thats

thats quite comon on kimbers...they have a high carbon content in the stainless..also the barrel is not stainless on that model..its prone to rust also...i know from being an owner of a cpd pro 11. and know the rust issues....

kinda sux...

Last edited by manly; 12-14-2010 at 00:16..
manly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 00:45   #6
cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by manly View Post
thats quite comon on kimbers...they have a high carbon content in the stainless..also the barrel is not stainless on that model..its prone to rust also...i know from being an owner of a cpd pro 11. and know the rust issues....

kinda sux...
I agree, it's more common than it should be. Not sure what the "common" standard is though. My Series 1 has no rust issues. However, I've seen many 4" Kimbers in the gun shop case that have rust.

OP: Don't store the gun in foam or anything that attracts moisture or absored the oil on the gun and be sure it can "breathe". Springfield's 1911 case is good because it's all plastic. Kimber's case sucks for long-term storage (unless you put the well-oiled gun back in the bag).

Treat the Glock like your lawmower not your 1911. Even in "storage" I'd wipe down a 1911 periodically (unless packed in grease/oil). With a Glock I never bother.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27   #7
manly

i

i also have a team match and no rust issues with it.....it also has a stainless barrel.its stored with the cdp pro......and the cdp is the the one that gets the rust....about 11 other hand guns in that location..and to think of it..its the only one that does.......
manly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39   #8
Rinspeed
JAFO

If you're lazy any tool will rust.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

Last edited by Rinspeed; 12-14-2010 at 05:40..
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18   #9
AC45ACP

Kimber wouldn't help me with my rust issue, I carried my TLE/RL
For 4 hours and the front strap checkering started rusting.
And this was on a new gun. I call kimber told them I needed
A RMA# and they told me no they don't issue rma's I could
Send it in on my dime and it would be up to the gunsmith
To decide if the rust was a finish issue or a holster wear
Issue.
So I sold it to a famliy member at a good price and bought a
STI
Good luck with the kimber!
DPS/BCI/NRA Certified Instructor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by AC45ACP; 12-15-2010 at 09:20..
AC45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:19   #10
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Interesting./ In the past, I've been tempted to buy one of those 4" Kimbers with the bull barrel setup - but I have read numerous rust complaints concerning Kimbers over the years
Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote