SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2006, 00:15   #1
sfguard
Spread Out!

Calling all cops

Everyone of us has that Oh S#$% story or if I could have only done that different story. How about sharing a few. Mine is I was still a E-4 working LE patrol. I was set up on my favorite stop sign to watch just down from the POL. Wasn't there long when sure enough someone ran right through it. (I wasn't even hiding and in a marked vehicle)

I hit my lights and as I was appraoching the vehicle could see two occupants. When I got to the B post of the vehicle and ask for ID driver's license and insurance info. I noticed it was the Base commander, along with my own SF commander. They were on the way to the restricted area for a security inspection/waiver info.

I almost crapped all over myself but...I figured at this point it is now a integrity check. Although I know it meant nothing to him I issued a 1408 to the base commander! Sad part was two days later my favorite stop sign was no longer there.

I told on myself lets hear some of yours!

Proud Veteran of Operation Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi freedom
sfguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13   #2
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

A K9 sergeant I know pulled over the squadron commander.

The only Volvo (new) in the squadron is his. Couple older ones around but they're obviously older.

He was comnig down a straight stretch of the perimeter road leading to the squadron turn-off, and doing 39 in a 30. His car was having problems and if he slowed down, it died (K9 didn't know that). So he hits the lights, and commander waves beret out window. K9 sees the glint off the flash and thinks 'duh' it's an officer, but....pulls him over anyways.

Then he finds out what REALLy happened (no ticket) and a couple of us got drafted to pushstart the car.

Another sergeant I know of nearly got into a shootout (i.e Major International Incident) with the carabinieri.

Normally, we wave them through as it's technically their base, if they're in a marked unit/uniform etc.

This guy was offduty, in civvies, armed (they always are). Sergeant at main gate asks him for his ID and the guy basically told him to F off in Italian, being carabinieri (without telling him he was, just F off). So it got a little heated, and basically the Italian I think shoved at him, sergeant apparently stepped back and grabbed his rifle away from him, guy starts to draw, all OUR guys cover him, and traffic is at a complete halt.

By now other patrols have shown up and there's like 9 cops covering 1 Italian (who still apparently had the gun half drawn but not pointing anywhere). Lots of international yelling/swearing/misunderstanding going on.

Finally some other uniformed carabinieri show up and everything is explained. Our guy gets mildly chewed out, the carabinieri gets mildly chewed out, and everything goes back to normal.

Can't think of a holy crap for me yet, but give me a couple days, it's been a long week.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 22:42   #3
slaytera666

My oh * * * * stoy goes like this: I signed up to be a cop. 6 years later I'm hating life and can't crosstrain.
slaytera666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:09   #4
BIGpig

I know a guy that got caught by a Dept. of Energy inspector sleeping on a Bomb in a freezing cold Nmsa. Says it started out as trying to stay warm but "got outta hand" How is that for Oh ****?
BIGpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05   #5
meeko

Back in the 80's Two not very bright Close in Sentry mobilized (CISM's) were sleeping and drove their patrol truck into an alert KC 135 Tanker at Blytheville (Eaker) AFB in Arkansas. The good thing we had 4 tankers on alert and 5 B 52's with nukes and they hit the tanker. After that incident SAC came down and all CISM's were directed to not be mobile anymore. You sat in your truck in front of your perspective birds.

Another time an ART team got a 6 pax Dodge P/U stuck on top of one of the nuke igloos in the WSA. The vehicle was like a 77 or 79 year model 4 door with like a 20 foot bed (at least it seamed that long when you drove one). It was funny seeing it stuck sort of teeter totering in between a couple of the igloos humps. Those old Dodge 6 pax had a turn radius of a B 52.

Then in 88 the munitions maintenance crew droped a fully loaded live Nuclear ALCM (Air Launch Cruise Missile)cart. It holds 6 ALCM's and fits under each wing of a B 52. They would pull it off the plane then put these 4 legs down and remove the wheels. They put the 4 legs down but only secured 3 of the 4. They went to lunch ( you know that was much more important) and when the came back to their shop in the WSA it was laying over. Two of the warheads were damaged pretty good. EOD was called in from barksdale AFB. I was lucky enough to be the vehicle searcher that day. It was like seeing a bunch of tourists. Every commander of anything had to come out and see it.

It's hard to just pick one story.
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 23:58   #6
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Guy I work with was on overwatch at the main gate, 249 on top of a Humvee.

they went to move, he came down for a minute and forgot it was up there. No pintle, just sitting on the roof (unarmored Humvee) through the hole etc.

They drive off and forget it's up there.

They take a corner, and the 249 goes it's merry way.

OSI guy's wife driving behind them picks it up and calls her husband since they don't stop and she loses them.

OSI guy finds the patrol a little while later..."you guys missing anything?" "No"

Our commander gets a call from their boss.

The one striper who was on the gun is still a one striper (1.5 years later) the TSgt driving got a tongue lashing for forgetting about it.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 10-02-2006, 14:32   #7
sfguard
Spread Out!

That reminds me of one that happened in the Army before I crossed over to the Air Force. We were getting ready to go to the field for a couple weeks. One of the guys wife dropped him off in the company area. He went over to kiss her goodbye and layed his M-16 on top of the vehicle to do it. They lived off base (see where this is going don't ya?)
To make a long story short the Base commander got a phone call from the Sheriff asking him to report to the sheriff's office to pick up the M-16 that a deputy found at a highway on ramp just off base.

Old 10-07-2006, 17:48   #8
coopesc2000

Something Iíve noticed about SP's is officer discretion. They seem to not have it or not understand the concept of it. Writing the base commander a ticket, come on if you told me you felt like he needed a ticket that would be cool but to say it was an integrity issue. And yes Iíve been an SP before now Iím a civilian cop who despises tickets.

The stupidest thing i've seen is being in the desert when one of our female troops descides to leave her M-4 in the bathroom. Some CE troop brings the weapon to BDOC saying "I think this belongs to y'all."
coopesc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:04   #9
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

The guys/girls in my squadron understand officer discretion just fine, and practice it a lot.

Sometimes though integrity IS the defense... base commander or not, you don't go blowing stop signs. At least a verbal warning would have been in order.

That girl should have been slapped. Some of my guys chewed out a SrA ammo troop the other day during an exercise cause he leaned his M16 up against a wall near him (the other ammo people had theirs in hand or on the table) since we just KNEW the guy was gonna walk off without it.....the rest had "rifle slung or in hand" down fine, this guy did not.
Old 10-09-2006, 13:21   #10
meeko

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMurphy
The guys/girls in my squadron understand officer discretion just fine, and practice it a lot.

Sometimes though integrity IS the defense... base commander or not, you don't go blowing stop signs. At least a verbal warning would have been in order.

That girl should have been slapped. Some of my guys chewed out a SrA ammo troop the other day during an exercise cause he leaned his M16 up against a wall near him (the other ammo people had theirs in hand or on the table) since we just KNEW the guy was gonna walk off without it.....the rest had "rifle slung or in hand" down fine, this guy did not.
While progrssive law enforcement is great on trying to deter crime. I'm of the mindset that in that situation it was that really up to his group to correct him (had he actually walked off). Whatever happened to the "solve it at the lowest level" not another squadron got involved. I'm sure the SP's in question would not take it kindly to an ammo troop telling the SP's on how to do main gate duty or whatever. I think we have all been there. At Ellsworth a MAJ made a comment (from his warm car)once in 15 below weather that it wasn't that cold for artic glove that one of my guys had on. I stated to him that "you probably don't from inside your car. Have a nice day" I could see stopping and saying something on say an earring but that just shows how stupid some people become.

Mindsets might have changed but a few years ago flight guys caught hell for not enforcing stuff from the flight Chief/shift commander/Sqaudron CC etc. Thus you were at risk of trouble yourself if you exercised discretion. Thats the good thing about working on the civilian side. Your the one that has to go to court so it's YOUR Descretion. If someone else has a hair about it tell them to write the ticket etc.
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 13:30   #11
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Well in the ammo guy's case, it was 4 ammo people in a briefing full of cops (30+) all armed.

I was gonna let it slide (I was across the room) but a couple other guys had to say something.

If they hadn't the MSgt ammo guy would have (I know the guy sort of)....he's big on not doing dumb stuff like that.
Old 10-09-2006, 15:43   #12
DMF
P33

Quote:
Originally posted by slaytera666
My oh * * * * stoy goes like this: I signed up to be a cop. 6 years later I'm hating life and can't crosstrain.
Then I suggest you separate at the end of your current enlistment.
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 23:15   #13
sfguard
Spread Out!

Quote:
Originally posted by coopesc2000
Something Iíve noticed about SP's is officer discretion. They seem to not have it or not understand the concept of it. Writing the base commander a ticket, come on if you told me you felt like he needed a ticket that would be cool but to say it was an integrity issue. And yes Iíve been an SP before now Iím a civilian cop who despises tickets.

The stupidest thing i've seen is being in the desert when one of our female troops descides to leave her M-4 in the bathroom. Some CE troop brings the weapon to BDOC saying "I think this belongs to y'all."
So you are saying that letting him go because of his rank when I would have given anyone else a ticket is not a integrity issue? I want some of what your smoking except I wouldn't be able to pass my "bottle" test

Old 10-22-2006, 19:53   #14
coopesc2000

I tell you what sfguard go write the full bird a ticket i tell you what go write everyone a ticket till your hearts content. WHEN you decide to do real law enforcement you will understand how petty tickets are. So how much do the 1408's cost now? What nothing? Explain to me how this is an integrity issue?
Old 10-27-2006, 22:03   #15
slaytera666

Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
Then I suggest you separate at the end of your current enlistment.
Way ahead of you.
slaytera666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 14:41   #16
sfguard
Spread Out!

Quote:
Originally posted by coopesc2000
I tell you what sfguard go write the full bird a ticket i tell you what go write everyone a ticket till your hearts content. WHEN you decide to do real law enforcement you will understand how petty tickets are. So how much do the 1408's cost now? What nothing? Explain to me how this is an integrity issue?
Somebody must have gotten a ticket

Old 01-01-2007, 20:16   #17
Fishjager

Tickets?

I have not been around the Air Force for a few years. But, when I was in the 1408 had about the same rating as toliet paper. It just let the first shirt of the guilty person know the guy screwed up, and a talk with the commander might be in the wind. The tickets that people feared from us were the ones that were given for violation of Title 18 of the US code.
By the way, I refused the base commander entrance to a bomb dump in Germany when I was new there (E-2). He did not have his restricted area badge and I did not know him. I did report my post to him, and give him proper military curtiousy. But, after that he just looked and smiled everytime he saw me. He was an ole school wing commander, but one heck of a leader.
I still wish I had joined the Coast Guard! Drug busts on the Gulf Coast, what a way to spend the day.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:04   #18
SIOP

My favorite story is about an LE buddy of mine back at Grand Forks AFB, ND in the early 70's. Back then, a lot of guys just wanted out, and the two quickest ways were to tell them you were queer or to get caught smoking pot. Well, you had to have a witness to back up your queer story, so my buddy went out on duty on e night at the main gate, fired up a joint, and stood there waving traffic through toking up until someone noticed.

A close second was the time I was driving back to the base and spotted our two drug dog handlers in another car. Passing a hash pipe back and forth.
SIOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 20:27   #19
tnoisaw

Where do I start?

I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, AK with the 21st Spís. I had pulled over an airman for something on the flight line but donít remember what for. This was in the early eighties. Anyway, a week later a guy on another flight line waves me over. It was this guys commander and he was mad. He wanted me to write myself a ticket for speeding. I told him to contact CSC. Nothing ever happened.
tnoisaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 14:17   #20
AFBcon06
Security Forces

I was in gaurdmount and just standing around and a SSgt we never liked walked in and his mustache was trimmed down to the hitler style for some reason. Before I could stop myself I blurted out hail hitler and rose my arm. I quickly realized everyone person in there saw this and the SSgt kept walking to the office. Everyone laughed as he exited even the Sgt's I was a E-4.
AFBcon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 18:20   #21
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

A flight chief at my base has a rather Hitlerian mustache, and people in his flight make jokes about his mustache being his alpha.
Old 01-09-2007, 23:19   #22
agentl074

Security Forces HOAH

Unfortunatly I was never able to do what I felt the calling was in the AF... - however I am glad for the people who have helped me so much to become the person with the tools to take on what I do now: Sheriff Reserve Deputy HOAH! Thank you all for showing me how to do my duty and I represent all of us every day on duty! DEFENSOR FORTIS!
*Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty*
agentl074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 22:32   #23
coopesc2000

SFGUARD,
I've never gotten a ticket on base if i did i would accept it and smile because i know it means nothing. Now if you must know i have gotten (1) ticket in the civilian world and i will tell you what that one did hurt about $150. Oh and by the way i'm a SF reserve so i know what the job entails.
Old 01-14-2007, 15:42   #24
Joey

The US Air Force Forum
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 17:29   #25
Instructor25

Hey I remember that accident I dropped my cell phone...yeah right Hope she was worth it