GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2010, 17:33   #1
IndianaMatt

How do you reduce trigger pull on a Series 80?

What is the basic process for lightening the factory trigger pull weight on a Colt Series 80? I've heard its just a couple of inexpenseive parts, right? I'm new to the 1911 world so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 18:10   #2
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=302636

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 19:39   #3
rsxr22

1/4 to 1/2 lb? save your dough bro!!
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 21:11   #4
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Replacing parts is not the answer. Fitting the ones that you have is. Any reputable smith should be able to do a trigger job on a 1911 in his or her sleep.
Old 12-15-2010, 21:16   #5
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Nazi View Post
Replacing parts is not the answer. Fitting the ones that you have is. Any reputable smith should be able to do a trigger job on a 1911 in his or her sleep.
This...

you don't have to remove the 80 Series parts to get a nice trigger.
My Remington R1 is at ~4# and is a decent trigger using stock parts.
In the next week or so i should have my parts to build it and i'm keeping the 80 Series parts in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 23:35   #6
Edmo01

I replaced the stock sear spring and trigger in my Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government Model.

The spring gave me a 1-1.5 pound reduction in pull weight and the trigger allows for a longer reach for my trigger finger. Minor fitting to get the trigger in and the spring was a "drop in". For less than $50 I am very pleased with the results.

Here are the parts I used...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=188154

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=777797

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo01; 12-15-2010 at 23:36..
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 23:39   #7
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmo01 View Post
I replaced the stock sear spring and trigger in my Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government Model.

The spring gave me a 1-1.5 pound reduction in pull weight and the trigger allows for a longer reach for my trigger finger. Minor fitting to get the trigger in and the spring was a "drop in". For less than $50 I am very pleased with the results.

Here are the parts I used...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=188154

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=777797

Edmo

FYI, the C&S sear spring is a factory Colt spring
the Colt sear spring is only $4

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=536684

i use Colt sear springs in my 1911's

Last edited by Quack; 12-15-2010 at 23:42..
Old 12-16-2010, 00:05   #8
Edmo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
FYI, the C&S sear spring is a factory Colt spring
the Colt sear spring is only $4

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=536684

i use Colt sear springs in my 1911's
I didn't know C&S made Colt's springs...

There must have been a change to the factory springs since I bought this pistol new in 1984. There was a noticable difference when I changed it out with the C&S sear spring.

The Wilson trigger didn't lighten the trigger pull, but the added reach and overtravel screw made it fit me much better. This isn't a range gun and I wasn't after an ultra light trigger pull. However, these modifications made a self defense pistol trigger just a bit better.

Edmo
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 00:10   #9
Quack
Rent this space

C&S doesn't make the Colt spring, they (as well as EGW) use the Colt spring.

the reason why there was a difference is because Colt adjusts the spring to achieve the correct trigger pull for the gun (when you buy it new). when you buy a replacement spring, it'll lighten the pull because it's not adjusted.
when i swapped out the factory spring (to the Colt) in my TRP Champion the pull went for 4.5# down to 2# before i adjusted it back up to 4#

also make sure you have the proper pre-travel/take-up since you installed a new trigger.

Last edited by Quack; 12-16-2010 at 00:26..
Old 12-18-2010, 05:27   #10
cdunn

I just replaced my mainspring housing with the Nighthawk mainspring housing/magwell with a 19lb.mainspring while apart I installed a C&S light sear spring, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=188154 , man what a difference it made.