Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:45   #1
alfred10

What ammo for my Sig SBR 10 inch and Colt 6921?

I have a sig 556 SBR with a 10 inch barrel and a surefire can. What weight bullet will have the best penetration and nock down power within the max accuret range (about 0-200 meters)?

I have a 14.5 inch Colt 6921 that I want to run an ACOG TA01NSN on. What round will run most reliably out to 600 meters and actually kill something at that distance? I also want to run my surefire can on this rifle but I need to get another flashider mount.

What grain should I be looking at? Im pretty sure I need a specific grain for the ACOG.
alfred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

See the Before You Ask Another Question thread, it should cover things nicely.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39   #3
TimP
1 Proud Infidel

Send a message via AIM to TimP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Field Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Intermedia Outdoors
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43   #4
mjkeat

What a rough crowd lol
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26   #5
TimP
1 Proud Infidel

Send a message via AIM to TimP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What a rough crowd lol
fine, I will answer his questions nicely.

Quote:
I have a sig 556 SBR with a 10 inch barrel and a surefire can. What weight bullet will have the best penetration and nock down power within the max accuret range (about 0-200 meters)?
barrel length has little to no effect on accuracy. Realize that it will have an impact on velocity and terminal velocity. I use 75gr Hornady a-max bullets in my short barrel. The bullet will still have amble kinetic energy to transmit to the target, and the ballistic tip will allow some expansion to take place at lower velocities.

Quote:
I have a 14.5 inch Colt 6921 that I want to run an ACOG TA01NSN on. What round will run most reliably out to 600 meters and actually kill something at that distance? I also want to run my surefire can on this rifle but I need to get another flashider mount.
any 223 round is going to "run reliably" out to 600 meters. At 600, a 55gr fmj will have "around" 250lbft of energy left to transfer to the target. For comparison a 100gr .380acp has approx 200lbft at the muzzle, a 9mm has approx 340lbft at the muzzle, and 40s&w approx 500lbft. So you have a smaller diameter bullet that is half the weight of the .380 with slightly more energy. You tell me sir, if it is going to "drop" someone at 600.......

Quote:
What grain should I be looking at? Im pretty sure I need a specific grain for the ACOG.
well the ACOG was designed for the military.... I bet that is a good source to base your ammo on. I'm thinking either 55gr fmj or 62gr...

Field Editor

Intermedia Outdoors
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47   #6
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
See the Before You Ask Another Question thread, it should cover things nicely.
I must be confused... I thought I was on Glock Talk, not one of those other sites where members are talked down on for asking a question.

Or, maybe you got confused about which site your on.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08   #7
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred10 View Post
What weight bullet will have the best penetration and nock down power within the max accuret range (about 0-200 meters)?
The heaviest bullet your gun can shoot accurately.

[/QUOTE]I have a 14.5 inch Colt 6921 that I want to run an ACOG TA01NSN on. What round will run most reliably out to 600 meters and actually kill something at that distance? I also want to run my surefire can on this rifle but I need to get another flashider mount. [/QUOTE]

The heaviest bullet your gun can shoot accurately.

[/QUOTE]What grain should I be looking at? Im pretty sure I need a specific grain for the ACOG.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-17-2010, 08:22   #8
glock22357
Got Ammo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I must be confused... I thought I was on Glock Talk, not one of those other sites where members are talked down on for asking a question.

No, he got his response right.

These are simply silly questions. Killing power at 600M from an AR? Yeah...right.

The O.P. is either planning a killing spree or watching too many zombie/EOTWAWKI movies and playing too much Modern Warfare.
Sounds like it's time to logg-off, meet some friends for a few beers, and reconnect with humanity.
glock22357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
No, he got his response right.

These are simply silly questions. Killing power at 600M from an AR? Yeah...right.

The O.P. is either planning a killing spree or watching too many zombie/EOTWAWKI movies and playing too much Modern Warfare.
Sounds like it's time to logg-off, meet some friends for a few beers, and reconnect with humanity.
You guys should see his threads in GNG, they're just as good.
For the last time
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
The term "good" is highly subjective, especially when it comes to alfred's threads.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58   #11
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
The term "good" is highly subjective, especially when it comes to alfred's threads.
They make me laugh, which brightens my day, therefore they're "good"
For the last time
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33   #12
cowboy1964

What are the SEALs using these days?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26   #13
K. Foster

Quote:

I’m unfamiliar with his previous writings, can you provide a link, please.
I can see both sides of this. Alfred’s post does remind me of “that” video. But, possibly he is a young fellow without much exposure to firearms and has an awkward way of posing his questions and just wants to learn. I see nothing wrong with helping someone that wants to learn.

Alfred, how about telling us a little about yourself and what you want to do with your rifles. Also, I’d be interested to know what you plan to “kill” at 600 meters.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:49   #14
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
Alfred, how about telling us a little about yourself and what you want to do with your rifles. Also, I’d be interested to know what you plan to “kill” at 600 meters.
Certain questions should never be asked, because they might be answered...
Old 12-17-2010, 18:42   #15
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:

Sorry. I'm not familiar with the OP's history, so I don't don't if he's a tool or not. My response was pretty much a reaction to a slight trend I've noticed lately... I've seen some people acting more like they're on arf.com or lightfighter than what is expected here on GT. I responded to a post that I thought was more of the same. I apologize for the confusion.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
Old 12-17-2010, 19:09   #16
raven11

Quote:
Sorry. I'm not familiar with the OP's history, so I don't don't if he's a tool or not. My response was pretty much a reaction to a slight trend I've noticed lately... I've seen some people acting more like they're on arf.com or lightfighter than what is expected here on GT. I responded to a post that I thought was more of the same. I apologize for the confusion.
he has been posting on General Firearms how he CCW a Mk23, what is the best military backpack, does my USMC poncho look right, which should I buy my AA12 or Saiga 12, etc.....

I don't like to talk down to members with a valid question either, but there is only soo much shenanigans a person can take
Old 12-17-2010, 19:58   #17
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Any rational person would go with the Saiga 12, obviously....
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

Old 12-17-2010, 23:06   #18
GAFinch

Alfred, like all of your threads:

GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:05   #19
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
Certain questions should never be asked, because they might be answered...

I spent a few minutes reviewing his posting history.

I think you have a valid point, sir.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16   #20
Petrie

I'm sure Alfred10 is F-ing with everyone just to see what kind of responses he'll get. I think it's kind of funny. Whether you take him seriously and answer the questions or make fun of him for being a mall ninja, he wins.
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote