SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:37   #1
Boring

Send a message via AIM to Boring
MAG-20 class's Drawstroke vs. The Drawstroke in Combat Hangunnery 6th

Can you comment on the contrast between drawstroke taught in the MAG-20 Live Fire class and the drawstroke described in Combat Hangunnery 6th edition?

When I took the MAG-20 live fire class (Wallingford, CT, Sept 2010) the class used very different drawstroke mechanics from what is described in CH-6th.

This class used a draw stroke which establishes a grip on the weapon, raises the weapon out of the holster, then brings it to meet the support hand which sits flat on the stomach at mid abdomen level, then the hands meet bringing the weapon in both hands at low ready, and then raises the entire structure up to the eye line to shoot.

When I read CH-6th (I don't have a page reference...I have 3 copies of the blasted thing and they are all on loan to various people who I'm going to have to hurt to get them to give it back...) I believe you described the drawstroke as the weapon is grasped with the thumb flagged high, then raised on a direct vertical to the shoulder to the point the shoulder bunches and the elbow is back & straight.
The off hand would be high, center chest, and the gun would be brought to the centerline, with your eye catching the sights at the earliest possible time, then punching the weapon out to firing position, or firing along the horizontal extansion if needed.

It seems that the MAG-20 class drawstroke can be described as shooting hand grips gun-gun to center-support hand mates with shooting hand-weapon arcs up to firing position...

While your book's draw stroke is grip gun-gun up on the vertical line-center weapon and mate support hand w/ shooting hand-extend on the horizontal to shooting position.

From using them both, I know they get the gun out; however, it seems the lines of movement are dramatically different...different enough to the point of exclusivity.

What are the reasons for the variation and what are the pro's & con's of each?
Boring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 19:41   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I like to get the gun in line with the target early in the stroke. The range staff probably had you working more to a low ready at mid-point in the continuum. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. On a training range, you're often working from low ready, and the drawstroke you describe using is conducive to that.

Like the left jab and the right cross, neither is right or wrong, but either might be more suitable to a certain situation. The key is getting it down until it's smooth and reflexive, whichever technique you choose.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote