Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-16-2010, 23:40   #1
nytehawk

Glock 34 recoil spring recommendations?

I recently purchased a new G34 and (although it's admittedly not broken in yet) noticed that it will not cycle properly with the 115gr plated / 3.9gr TiteGroup reloads that work wonderfully in my G19. A couple of the better shooters in our local gun club's steel challenge competition have encouraged me in the past to purchase a lower weight recoil spring for my G19, but I think that's a mod I'd be more interested in doing on the G34.

I'd prefer to avoid the expense of purchasing 11, 13, and 15 lb recoil springs just to see which one works best (although I recognize that might be the "right" way to do it). So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting point if I were to only purchase one of the three lower weight recoil spring options. I performed a forum search and really only found one other relevant thread, but it didn't provide a sufficient answer to my particular question.

Thanks in advance!
nytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 16:04   #2
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytehawk View Post
I recently purchased a new G34 and (although it's admittedly not broken in yet) noticed that it will not cycle properly with the 115gr plated / 3.9gr TiteGroup reloads that work wonderfully in my G19. A couple of the better shooters in our local gun club's steel challenge competition have encouraged me in the past to purchase a lower weight recoil spring for my G19, but I think that's a mod I'd be more interested in doing on the G34.e

I'd prefer to avoid the expense of purchasing 11, 13, and 15 lb recoil springs just to see which one works best (although I recognize that might be the "right" way to do it). So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting point if I were to only purchase one of the three lower weight recoil spring options. I performed a forum search and really only found one other relevant thread, but it didn't provide a sufficient answer to my particular question.

Thanks in advance!
You are limited to 15 lbs unless you lighten your striker and go with a 4 lb striker spring. Go any lower and you will risk an out of battery detonation.

If you are willing to go with the lighter striker and spring 13 lbs is as low as I would go with 115 gr bullets. You would benefit quite a bit by moving to 147 gr bullets. The reduction in blast and recoil is worth the extra 7 or 8 dollars per 1000.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 17:39   #3
nytehawk

Thank you very much! I would like to keep the stock striker and striker spring, so will not go any lower than 15 lbs on the recoil spring.

Thanks also for your recommendation to move to 147 gr projectiles. Do I assume correctly that I would receive some of the reduced blast & recoil benefit of using 147 gr bullets even with the 15 lbf or 17 lbf (stock) recoil spring?
Old 12-17-2010, 18:08   #4
unclebob

I use 3.5 of Tightgroup with a X-treme 135gr. Bullet at 1.135. With stock springs.
First I would load at least 500rds of middle of the road hot load. Lube up the gun real well and fire all of those rounds. Clean the gun and lube as normal. Then see what the gun does with your other loads. You need to break in the gun. And loosen up the springs.
If that still does not work you might want to cut a couple of coils off of your stock recoil spring. Or go too heavier bullets. You might also try if you can use a shorter C.O.L. But first give the gun a chance of being broken in.
GSSF Life Member
Old 12-17-2010, 18:32   #5
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytehawk View Post
Thank you very much! I would like to keep the stock striker and striker spring, so will not go any lower than 15 lbs on the recoil spring.

Thanks also for your recommendation to move to 147 gr projectiles. Do I assume correctly that I would receive some of the reduced blast & recoil benefit of using 147 gr bullets even with the 15 lbf or 17 lbf (stock) recoil spring?
You can't run 130 PF 147 gr loads with the stock spring. You need to go up to at least 135 PF to run it at 17 lbs. 15 lbs would be the highest I would go at 130 PF.

My load is 3.5 gr VV N320, 147 gr Xtreme plated at 1.135 COL. Running with a Glock 34 Vanek striker, 4lb striker spring and 13 lb recoil spring. Real soft recoil.

Another good load is 124gr Berry's over 4.1 gr of VV N320.

Gave up on TiteGroup a while ago. Burns too hot, kinda cruddy and doesn't fill enough of the case.

Solo 1000 varies so much from lot to lot. You need a chrono and each lot can need a slightly different load. The worst part is that you see velocity drops at 100 degrees. Still shoots cool and clean.

VV N320 is the perfect gaming powder. Burns cool and super clean. Extremely consistent. Costs a little more, still only a fraction of a penny more per shot.

Last edited by mboylan; 12-17-2010 at 18:54..
Old 12-17-2010, 23:46   #6
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
You can't run 130 PF 147 gr loads with the stock spring. You need to go up to at least 135 PF to run it at 17 lbs. 15 lbs would be the highest I would go at 130 PF.
Your right there mboylan, even then the slide will seen sluggish. In my experience running 147's at less than 920 fps is a futile effort in balancing the recoil and the accuracy department anyways. I went off the 147 favoring 124g for their versatility. I run them at 1100 Fps, 4.1g TG at 1.135 OAL.
I don't know of you accessment of springs though. My current G34 runs on ISMI 13 lb springs (2 coils cut on a OEM recoil rod), stock firing pin, and a ghost Rocket 3.5 connector. I've got well over 20K through it like that.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 12-17-2010 at 23:50..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:38   #7
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Your right there mboylan, even then the slide will seen sluggish. In my experience running 147's at less than 920 fps is a futile effort in balancing the recoil and the accuracy department anyways. I went off the 147 favoring 124g for their versatility. I run them at 1100 Fps, 4.1g TG at 1.135 OAL.
I don't know of you accessment of springs though. My current G34 runs on ISMI 13 lb springs (2 coils cut on a OEM recoil rod), stock firing pin, and a ghost Rocket 3.5 connector. I've got well over 20K through it like that.
I have gotten acceptable accuracy below 920 fps with VV N320. Good enough, not spectacular. Thinking about going down to 12 or 11 pounds on the recoil spring. My standard load was 124 gr until a few months ago.
Old 12-27-2010, 17:47   #8
nytehawk

Thanks again to all for the replies and advice.
Old 01-05-2011, 19:56   #9
shotgunred
reloading nut

ISMI springs will work on your stock guide rod wolf springs will not.

My 3 gen G17 will run 124 gr MG with 3.7 gr of tightgroup with stock springs. I am sure this is below 125 PF.

I have been thinking about ordering some 15 to see if they would make a difference myself.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 23:48   #10
VN350X10

If you load a bit hotter it might even improve your accuracy.
My USPSA production load is:
115 gr Rem JHPT
Rem brass
Win std. primer (can also use CCI)
4.9 gr Vhit N-320 (old book max, new max is 4.7, but I've run this load since 2001)
1.142" oal

My G34 shoots well enough with this load that I've used it as a Bullseye gun. Gets some strange looks, but the target results get even more of them !
And the recoil of a G34 is really insignificant no matter what you're shooting that's under 9 Major.
Most of my Glocks shoot better "warm" than on the "gamer" side.

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote