Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2010, 13:34   #1
ZX9RCAM

Anybody know anything about Army sign on bonuses??

My "son-in-law" joined the Army & was told he would be getting a sign-on bonus in the neighborhood of $12,000-$15,000.
I was told I would have a loan repayed once he received his bonus.

This date he was to get it supposedly kept being put off, then it was going to doled out in payments & finally a year later he claims he got it & the bonus was only $500.

Anybody else think there may be some deception going on, or do the recruters actually lie about the money they will be receiving?

Thanks,

- Cam
ZX9RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 13:53   #2
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Welcome to the site Cam. There are few recruiters here that will help you out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 12-21-2010, 15:41   #3
G19 Elite
Elite

When your son-in-law signs his contract at MEPS, it clearly states what kind of bonus he will recieve, and how it will be paid, whether in lump sum or in installments, as well as whether he was enrolled in Loan Repayment or the GI Bill. Take a look at his enlistment contract. If he was supposed to get a large bonus and did not recieve it, he would need to take the issue up with his unit's S1.
Old 12-21-2010, 16:43   #4
Algaroth
GADM \m/

Send a message via AIM to Algaroth Send a message via Yahoo to Algaroth
All I know is that there is a few select MOSs that offer signing bonuses. When I was picking my MOS, my recruiter told me $20k for an Airborne contract, $6k for EOD, and a few other smaller ones. There weren't that many, though. My MOS (91E) didn't have one though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Algarothsyum's debut album "Wastelander's Epoch" out now!
a digital copy of the album
Algaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 16:13   #5
ZX9RCAM

Thanks guys, I hope to look over his contract tomorrow.

- Cam
ZX9RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 23:20   #6
JBarbaresi

it is unfortunate that you guys are put in a position where you have to feel misled. the Army enlistment process is supposed to be very transparent and straight forward, i don't like hearing stories like this. have him check his dd form 4/1 and 4/2 because all enlistment bonuses would be outlined on those forms. they will also be listed in his enlistment contract.

if he reserved his mos in the office with his recruiter they should have gone over all incentives at that time. then when he enlisted at meps the guidance counselor should have gone over his contract again in detail with him, so there should be no surprises.

enlistment bonuses are dependent upon the job he chose, as well as loan repayment in conjunction with the bonus. the loan repayment program usually pays off 33% of the loan annually up to $65,000. cash bonuses get paid out depending on the amount of the bonus and whatever the method was at the time of his enlistment, it often changes. the Soldier usually receives either half of the total amount or $10k upon completion of advanced training and assignment to his first duty station. the remainder gets paid in increments annually over the course of the enlistment period.

for the record, $500 does not seem to be correct in my experience as i have never seen an enlistment bonus that low. its usually at least a couple thousand or nothing. i don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but there may be a communication mistake, are you sure the $500 he just received wasn't the second installment of his bonus payout? it would make sense since he just hit his 1 year mark in service.
JBarbaresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 19:15   #7
m24swsbar

I was misled when I joined. I was 17 at the time so I was still in high school (split ops program). I asked about my bonus before signing. The E-7 doing my paperwork told me my bonus wouldnt show up on my contract until I went to A.I.T. Unfortunatley it never showed up and I got screwed out of a bonus and any other extra benefits. Didin't even get a g.i bill kicker. Really messed up on that guys part.
m24swsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 15:36   #8
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
My "son-in-law" joined the Army & was told he would be getting a sign-on bonus in the neighborhood of $12,000-$15,000.
I was told I would have a loan repayed once he received his bonus.

This date he was to get it supposedly kept being put off, then it was going to doled out in payments & finally a year later he claims he got it & the bonus was only $500.

Anybody else think there may be some deception going on, or do the recruters actually lie about the money they will be receiving?

Thanks,

- Cam
He got every penny he was promised (less taxes) and it was paid however his contract said (lump sum or payments). Sounds like he's scamming you.

If he said, "I didn't get the bonus and they say it's not in my contract" then maybe he screwed up and didn't get it in the contract or take advantage of any of the opportunities to read it, ask questions, etc. BUT if he claims he actually got something, then it was in the contract and he got the whole bonus, or else he'd be raising hell with finance people until it got right.

Last edited by Bren; 01-14-2011 at 15:39..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 15:40   #9
1 old 0311

Did he get it IN WRITING or was this just Recruiter BS?
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote