SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2010, 18:15   #1
Troy106

Gg4 to g17

Mas,

Is this really you on this site, pretty cool to have an expert around. I read some of your postings about the 3.5 glock connector. Can I use my complete trigger group in my g34 and then put it in my g17 without any issues about changing the trigger beyond the manufactures suggestion especially since they designed it, heck the 3.5 was designed by glock.

thanks in adavnce

When life gives you lemons you throw them at people.
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 21:08   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Troy, Glock designed the 3.5 lb. connector for their target models, advertised in the competition section of their catalog, not for defense use. The company has been quite explicit for more than 20 years that this light a trigger is not to be used in a defense or duty gun. The manufacturer only approves that connector in a "carry gun" if it is mated with the NY-1 module, which brings pull weight up into the 6-pound range. When Glock knows a G34 or G35 is being ordered for police work, they put a heavier trigger in it.

The GATE section is designed for short answers. However, you can get a lot more perspective on this issue from both sides by reading the sticky at the top of the Carry Issues section here at Glock Talk, titled "CCW with a 3.5 lbs connector a legal liability?" It runs about 10 pages.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 23:50   #3
Troy106

Mas,

I appreciate the quick response, me and a friend have gone throw pages of posts here on this topic and we have concluded there is no 100% right side and both sides can make valid points.

Side A
1. The munfacturer does not recommend this for anything but recreation.
2. LE agencies have certain heavy triggers for a reason
3. The lighter the trigger the more likelyhood of accidental discharge.

Side B
1. Why is the focus taking away from the perp that started this in the first place.
2. People have the right to defend themselves and a trigger is an excuse to penalize the victims.
3. Having a enhanced trigger enhacings our ability to protect ourselves.

Mas, why can' this topic be more cut and dry, the perp reid to do bodily harm to the victim, the victim shots the perp in fear of life and self defense. End story, why do we need to look at the gun of the victim to find a reason to go after him/her. I understand life is a gray area and this can be debate case to case state to state but a perp tries to attack a person that person becomes a victim who defends themselves, what kind of world is this.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:33   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy106 View Post
Mas,

I appreciate the quick response, me and a friend have gone throw pages of posts here on this topic and we have concluded there is no 100% right side and both sides can make valid points.

Side A
1. The munfacturer does not recommend this for anything but recreation.
2. LE agencies have certain heavy triggers for a reason
3. The lighter the trigger the more likelyhood of accidental discharge.

Side B
1. Why is the focus taking away from the perp that started this in the first place.
2. People have the right to defend themselves and a trigger is an excuse to penalize the victims.
3. Having a enhanced trigger enhacings our ability to protect ourselves.

Mas, why can' this topic be more cut and dry, the perp reid to do bodily harm to the victim, the victim shots the perp in fear of life and self defense. End story, why do we need to look at the gun of the victim to find a reason to go after him/her. I understand life is a gray area and this can be debate case to case state to state but a perp tries to attack a person that person becomes a victim who defends themselves, what kind of world is this.
Believe me, Troy, I sympathize. I've probably been dealing with these issues longer than you have, and have probably seen more good people go through the meat grinder of the criminal/civil courts with unmeritorious charges and lawsuits after totally justified shootings.

It's not fair that rapacious criminals should prey on innocent people...but they do, and that's why folks like us carry guns in the first place.

It's not fair that the occasional politically motivated prosecutor, or the more common, rapacious plaintiff's lawyer would go after a decent person who defended themself and their family...but they do, and that's why I warn decent people not to give those people hooks (such as the hair trigger argument) on which they can hang a BS charge or lawsuit.

As to the three points you summarized as favoring light triggers: 1. It happens because someone who is clueless, unethical, or both wants to skewer you in court and will use any means to do it. 2. I totally agree with you, and that's why I don't want to see you give them an excuse to falsely penalize you. 3. It's been my experience that with good training and trigger control, a service grade trigger doesn't really penalize your real-world defensive shooting ability.

In sympathy,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00   #5
Troy106

Mas,

Thank you for your feedback and insight. I wish we were in a world where shooting was only needed for sporting and hunting, but self defense is a nessacity and now we also need to defend our defense. Keep up the good work and passing your knowledge to the many of us gun owners.