Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2011, 20:17   #701
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Donned the NVD & did a night shoot with relatives last night.

They were new to using NVD in conjunction with IR Lasers..(using the Integral Chargers)

..but that did not keep them from popping cans without a miss at 20 yards!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 18:11   #702
SRT76

Mrs. SRT has been doing the whole coupon thing (not the extreme stuff you see on TV but a little bit). Now have more than a years worth of hygiene products that we paid almost nothing for. Soap, deodorant, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, tooth brushes, etc.

I also discovered that all the maps in my car were 7+ years old so I updated all the maps of my AO.
Old 09-15-2011, 18:36   #703
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT76 View Post
Mrs. SRT has been doing the whole coupon thing (not the extreme stuff you see on TV but a little bit). Now have more than a years worth of hygiene products that we paid almost nothing for. Soap, deodorant, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, tooth brushes, etc.

I also discovered that all the maps in my car were 7+ years old so I updated all the maps of my AO.
How in the world did she do this? I am in awe of folks who can do this.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 20:02   #704
bdcochran

"How in the world did she do this? I am in awe of folks who can do this. "

Example - Albertson's. Stimulus promotion was give $300 and get gift certifcates totaling $330. Then, Albertson's would run promotions like spend $40 and get 10% off. You buy the items on sale only for $40 and use the gift certificates. Once in a while, the tooth paste, toilet paper, breakfast cereal people run clear the warehouse sales.

Also, at certain times of the year when people focus on buying turkey, you pick up steaks dirt cheap.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 20:19   #705
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
My favorite example was several years ago; summer of 2006 iirc. Target was running a promotion in conjunction with proctor & gamble and duracell. You buy a multipack of duracell batteries, and any two P&G products from a specific list; the list included crest toothpaste, barbasol (iirc) shave cream, head & shoulders shampoo, etc. Anyway, buy the batteries and two P&G products, and get a $10 gift card when you check out. Thing was, if you planned it right, your purchase could be made to come out to right at $10, so you effectively got it free since you got a $10 gift card back.

I'd buy an eight-pack of AA, AAA, etc, duracells, a tube of crest and a can of shave cream, and it came out to $9.98 to $10.03, depending on whether I was in the city limits or not (Little Rock). Check out, give the cashier roughly ten bucks, and she'd give me all the merchandise and ten bucks back in the form of a gift card. So I'd check out again, paying with the gift card I just got, and she'd give me a new gift card...

I told my friends and my coworkers about the promotion, but almost none of them took advantage of it. I got the impression it struck them as 'low-brow' and low class. Personally, I saw it as good stewardship, but I'm kind of simple that way.

Don't know how many times I checked out at different Target stores over that few weeks, but we're STILL using from that stack of crest, and I just this year had to start buying shave cream again. Good stewardship is how I still see it, and that stack of crest makes me grin like an idiot when I get a new tube out.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 20:25   #706
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
my wife is up to almost 75% free on her couponing. she puts a bit of time in and waits for sales. our local Kroger will automatically double coupons up to $.50. she will wait for 10/$10 sales and hope to get coupons for $.50 etc. and its free.

CVS or Walgreens will have grocery sales at times too which work out pretty good because alot of people dont realise they sell that kind of stuff.

received more reloading componants this week. got 2k bullets from tjconevera and picked up a 5K case of primers for $50. also had some new carbon fiber arrows cut to length for a new-to-me bow i got this week. shoots like a dream compared to the beat up aluminum shafts it came with.

also received my second C3-907 light. got the first at the advice of LG1 and am loving them both.

shooting an IDPA match saturday and heading to a range on sunday that has steel out to 1K. this will be my first time shooting beyond 600.

Last edited by M1A Shooter; 09-15-2011 at 20:31..
M1A Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 20:38   #707
bdcochran

Went to Dr. today. Having problems with cancer removal a month ago. Keeping up the meds as best I can.
Old 09-15-2011, 20:56   #708
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Went to Dr. today. Having problems with cancer removal a month ago. Keeping up the meds as best I can.
Really sorry to hear about this. My wife got breast cancer (6 year survivor) when she was 42 and it was the worst year of our lives. I get the occasional skin cancer and have to have it removed so I go a couple of times a year for a complete body inspection. Cancer sucks.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 22:05   #709
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Sorry to hear that.

Good luck and God bless.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 23:18   #710
Carry16

I too am sorry to hear of your situation. My wife went through breast cancer treatment this spring. Caught it early and had a lumectomy and mamosite radiation which we are hopeful was 100%. Some of the meds for the cancer and perhaps the diabetes as well seem to be clouding her memory and thought processes. She's 7 years my junior, but seems to be taking the brunt of the medical issues the past few years. Someone once said Life's a bitc*, and then you die. There may be some truth to that. Anyway, best of luck to you and yours.

Quote:

Last edited by Carry16; 09-15-2011 at 23:19..
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 00:49   #711
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
Quote:
my prayers are with you. Cancer runs heavy in my wife's family as well and i'm hoping it doesnt pass down to her.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:05   #712
SRT76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
There are several websites out there that can teach you. Just google search and you'll be all set.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:57   #713
BORNGEARHEAD

I bought a few of the 80 led solar motion lights for the yard. They work great and are much brighter than I expected. I set them on the lightest sensitivity so even the dog trips them on.

bdcochran- Get better, man.
BORNGEARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 13:21   #714
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Stay strong and my prayers are with you, my friend.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 19:46   #715
jdavionic
NRA Member

Not very exciting, but I went back through our entire family budget and identified some areas where improvements need to be made. It's been about a year since I went through this exercise. I just got frustrated. Recently we took it in the shorts to payoff a credit card...then next thing I know, we've got $1200 balance again So we paid that off last week and are struggling again until pay day.

Anyway I wanted to know where all the money was going, what are the trends, where can we do better, etc. Interesting observations...gas expenditures went up over the past few years. No real surprise there. However the biggest surprise was food expenses. We are spending WAY too much on food...and we're not a big fat family. Our monthly food expense is just about the same as my monthly mortgage...which I found shocking. Our spending on food went up about 30%.

Fortunately we are nowhere near a negative cash flow. However we have other debt to pay off and we need to reduce expenses and pay off more debt. On groceries, we have a Sams Club membership but I hardly go there. So I think we need to look to use that membership more. There's an ALDI market near us, so I want to go there too. We currently buy most groceries from Publix.

We also spend a lot of money on cell phones. In 2 wks, the contract on my phone is up and my company has offered to pay for my phone. Out of the $200+, my phone is only $20...but every bit helps.

Also thinking of getting rid of our house phone. Has anyone done this? Any nuances to think about in doing that? It's $35 per month and seems like a waste. The only calls we seem to get a political calls, charities, etc.

Car insurance seems high too. We've got a young driver, 3 cars, etc...It's around $3600 per year. That seems high.

Oh well, like I said not the most exciting prep...but still worth doing.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 19:49   #716
bdcochran

When my son turned 16, I paid him $100 a month not to drive. It was a bargain!
Old 09-18-2011, 20:35   #717
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Not very exciting, but I went back through our entire family budget and identified some areas where improvements need to be made. It's been about a year since I went through this exercise. I just got frustrated. Recently we took it in the shorts to payoff a credit card...then next thing I know, we've got $1200 balance again So we paid that off last week and are struggling again until pay day.

Anyway I wanted to know where all the money was going, what are the trends, where can we do better, etc. Interesting observations...gas expenditures went up over the past few years. No real surprise there. However the biggest surprise was food expenses. We are spending WAY too much on food...and we're not a big fat family. Our monthly food expense is just about the same as my monthly mortgage...which I found shocking. Our spending on food went up about 30%.

Fortunately we are nowhere near a negative cash flow. However we have other debt to pay off and we need to reduce expenses and pay off more debt. On groceries, we have a Sams Club membership but I hardly go there. So I think we need to look to use that membership more. There's an ALDI market near us, so I want to go there too. We currently buy most groceries from Publix.

We also spend a lot of money on cell phones. In 2 wks, the contract on my phone is up and my company has offered to pay for my phone. Out of the $200+, my phone is only $20...but every bit helps.

Also thinking of getting rid of our house phone. Has anyone done this? Any nuances to think about in doing that? It's $35 per month and seems like a waste. The only calls we seem to get a political calls, charities, etc.

Car insurance seems high too. We've got a young driver, 3 cars, etc...It's around $3600 per year. That seems high.

Oh well, like I said not the most exciting prep...but still worth doing.
Actually, in this economy, you may have worked on the most important preps-budgeting and debt reduction.

I'm with you on this.

Last edited by Restless28; 09-18-2011 at 20:47..
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:07   #718
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
When my son turned 16, I paid him $100 a month not to drive. It was a bargain!
Very smart if he is anything like I was at that age. I have never heard of that solution before but it sure sounds like a winner.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55   #719
quake

Quote:
...Also thinking of getting rid of our house phone. Has anyone done this? Any nuances to think about in doing that? It's $35 per month and seems like a waste. The only calls we seem to get a political calls, charities, etc...
It's very common nowadays, and the trend is accelerating from what I can see. Most everyone has cell phones, and a home phone line is something that can be cut from the family budget with almost no pain whatsoever anymore. Only real "group" exception I've seen to that is older folks - an old couple, widow/widower, etc, tends to keep their home phone even if they do have a cell phone.

We have a lot of customers who no longer have a home landline; which complicates their security monitoring if nothing else. We can install a cellular transceiver on their system (which does have the benefit of not relying on an easily-cut landline), but it costs $200-$300, plus adds $10 to their monitoring fee; since we have to pay for the cellular number on that transceiver, we pass that cost on to the customer, no way around it. A couple years ago, maybe 5% of systems in our (very rural) area used cell monitoring; now probably 20%-25% of new installs use it, and I expect that number to continue to grow.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28   #720
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:

We got rid of ours 5 or 6 years ago and never mis them. When I am in someones house and a phone rings I wonder why they put up with such an abnoxious inconvenience. Things change.