SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2011, 16:02   #81
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2L soda bottles work very well.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 17:53   #82
Cajunmudman

Planted the following in my greenhouse:
20 Better Boys
28 Bell Peppers
17 Zuchchini

Gonna be a good spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cajunmudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 19:40   #83
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Gotta be LA. It's too cold up here, even for a green house!
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 19:51   #84
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Built a 30A pigtail set for the generator, insulated the garage door.
Old 01-10-2011, 13:11   #85
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Completely rearranged the pantry, rotated stocks, pulled out some past due for immediate use, audited for my next shopping run.

Have been building the pantry with increasing seriousness and duration for more than two years now.

Recall first doing it when there was talk of a worldwide rice shortage with famine cropping up in SE Asia and parts of Africa, but fortunately it stopped there, a couple years back. Price of rice did go up, especially the good jasmine rice, but I found 40lbs of it at good prices and have been keeping that level for awhile.

Now approaching a year at over 1100 calories per day. Coronal mass ejections and EMP attacks be damned. The rest of the world will starve but I will be hanging out.

Last edited by G29Reload; 01-10-2011 at 14:45..
Old 01-10-2011, 14:19   #86
Cajunmudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Gotta be LA. It's too cold up here, even for a green house!
Debated if I even needed one.
Our problem is that if you plant too early you will get hit by a late frost. But, by May, we have 90 degree days and tomatoes shut down.
It can be tricky, so, in the greenhouse they go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cajunmudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 20:11   #87
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
2L soda bottles work very well.
If nothing else, keeping 2L bottles of water are good for non-potable water uses, i.e. flushing the toilet for several days. No need to rotate if that is the identified use.
Old 01-10-2011, 20:46   #88
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
If nothing else, keeping 2L bottles of water are good for non-potable water uses, i.e. flushing the toilet for several days. No need to rotate if that is the identified use.
I personally do not keep any non-potable water. I do not currently have any intention to do so either.

I know of no reason not to have 2L bottles of drinking water.

And as mentioned previously water does not have to be rotated. I havn't rotated mine for over a year. I really don't feel like doing it either, so I probably won't.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 01-10-2011, 21:03   #89
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Agreed...if I'm going thru all the trouble to store water, it better be
potable.
Old 01-10-2011, 22:44   #90
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i am setting up rain barrels on my garage. that will be my non-potable water source for flushing toilets and watering the garden.
Old 01-11-2011, 00:20   #91
ML Roak

looking at putting in a 150 or 200 gallon tank in the basement with a booster pump, part of a plan to increase water pressure to the rest of the house, but also keeps a couple hundred gallons of fresh water handy (+ a 50 gal water heater). Looking seriously at a cistern as well. Picked-up some more canned goods & a couple cases of bottled water, ordered a few books from amazon, and almost have my AR back into fighting shape. (the free-float handguard unscrewed while shooting, putting in a lock screw to prevent that from EVER happening again.) Wife thinks I'm nuts, but she has thought that before

"what is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women".
ML Roak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:33   #92
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

does anyone make a rain barrel with an overflow that goes into a downspout?

If I'm not paying attention, I don't want an rainbarrel overflowing and hitting my foundation.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55   #93
jdavionic
NRA Member

I haven't done preps this week. Instead, I've been using them this week. Been snowed / iced in for 2 days now and it looks like it could possibly be the end of the week before we get back to normal.

Before the storm, I was running usual errands and folks were frantically looking for ice melt, milk, etc. I bought a bunch of ice melt some time ago. We have plenty of food. I was at Home Depot before the storm and it was insane. The guy asked if I needed help and I told him 'no, just looking for some wood to build a bird house'. He laughed hysterically and said 'you must be the only one here that is not in a panic'. I just thought the wood would be nice for a little project in case I got bored.

I also bought paint from Sherwin Williams so I could do some odd jobs around the house.

No preps, but sitting comfortably at home.

Warp...you holding up well? I believe you live in my neck of the woods.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15   #94
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Snow is inbound here, but not a lot. I am so prepped I don't even have to go out.

Great feeling!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32   #95
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Great feeling!
It really is a great feeling. The people that frequent the S&P are well aware that preps go well beyond a stockpile of ammo & guns. It includes the idea that you could endure a wide variety of scenarios for some time or indefinitely (depending upon how well you've done) without relying on someone to come to your rescue.

Many years ago, we went through an ice storm where we lost power for days. We had to stay in one room for the most part (room with the fireplace), but we were fine. Just spent time mostly playing with the kids to keep them entertained.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50   #96
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
It really is a great feeling. The people that frequent the S&P are well aware that preps go well beyond a stockpile of ammo & guns. It includes the idea that you could endure a wide variety of scenarios for some time or indefinitely (depending upon how well you've done) without relying on someone to come to your rescue.

Many years ago, we went through an ice storm where we lost power for days. We had to stay in one room for the most part (room with the fireplace), but we were fine. Just spent time mostly playing with the kids to keep them entertained.
When you think about it, preparing to be "snowed-in" for a few days takes very little. A couple of loafs of bread, some soup, a protein source, maintaining power to the core components of the house, some entertainment, water, a heat source - that's it. When peopel run around in a panic, you know they've done NOTHING.

S&P fanatics aside - I honestly believe that even an average household should be able to endure a five-day snow-in. That's not asking a lot.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227

Last edited by volsbear; 01-11-2011 at 10:50..
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:41   #97
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
an average household should be able to endure a five-day snow-in. That's not asking a lot.
Key word there. Most can't last 3, I'll bet.

I've actually gone out pre-snow for entertainment purposes. Nver needed more than a few ffresh veggies, but grab a cart and stroll the aisles. the LOOK in people's eyes! I'd snicker out loud if it wasn't so sad, really.

Last edited by G29Reload; 01-11-2011 at 13:42..
Old 01-11-2011, 14:17   #98
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
When you think about it, preparing to be "snowed-in" for a few days takes very little. A couple of loafs of bread, some soup, a protein source, maintaining power to the core components of the house, some entertainment, water, a heat source - that's it. When peopel run around in a panic, you know they've done NOTHING.

S&P fanatics aside - I honestly believe that even an average household should be able to endure a five-day snow-in. That's not asking a lot.
5 days of snow-in, with functional utilities, shouldn't take anything you don't already have...preppr or not.

Even without utilities it takes a few days to reall be an issue. Back in northern Indiana in 1998 we went 6.5 days without power. Late in day 3 we got our hands on a generator. It would have been pretty cold inside by day 4 if not for that, but otherwise it was fine.

Old 01-11-2011, 14:31   #99
Mack Donald

..when storing water..

..why do I never see anyone here mention..

..hmmm..

..5 gallon water containers..

..ya know..

..like the..

ahem

drinking water companies do????????????????????????????

Mack Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 15:45   #100
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Donald View Post
..when storing water..

..why do I never see anyone here mention..

..hmmm..

..5 gallon water containers..

..ya know..

..like the..

ahem

drinking water companies do????????????????????????????

Where do you get your 5 gallon containers?