GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 16:49   #1
LabTech
Village Jackass
 
LabTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scenic southeast Ohio
Posts: 1,730
.357 Sig 1911

This may have already been covered or just might be a stupid question, but does anyone manufacture a .357 Sig 1911? Could you shoot .357's out of a .40 S&W 1911 with a barrel swap like a Glock? I'd buy me a 3"-4" .357 1911 in a heartbeat. That is if it was within my price range.
__________________
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
LabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 17:10   #2
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks
 
SIGShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,895
I have a friend of mine who had a 1911 made in .357 SIG by Night Hawk when they first opened their doors. To my understanding it was the only one they made. The guy works/worked at Great Northern Guns in Anchorage.

I would almost bet that you could shoot .357 SIG out of a 1911 that was made for 40 S&W. They are the same sized breach face and the only thing that would be needed, IMO, would be a heavier recoil spring and barrel. A guy I work with had a barrel made for his Hi Power that was chambered in 40 to shoot .357 SIG.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 17:27   #3
LabTech
Village Jackass
 
LabTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scenic southeast Ohio
Posts: 1,730
SIGShooter,
I could see it working too, and working really well. You'd think that bottleneck cartridge would feed like a dream. I love the 1911 and really like the .357 SIG caliber. SIG should chamber their 1911 in it. I'd be all over that.
__________________
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
LabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 17:55   #4
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks
 
SIGShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,895
Out of a 5" barrel with Speer GDHP…That round is smoking hot. If my memory serves me correctly, my friend was getting close to 1600 FPS. Now this is going back 5 years and change. So I think those numbers are right.

I got to shoot the Hi Power. The recoil was a little more noticeable in that platform that in a P229. We did not chrono that gun though (Hi Power).


EDITED TO ADD: I wonder if it is possible to have a barrel made for a P7M10 for .357 SIG. That would be cool!

Last edited by SIGShooter; 12-22-2010 at 17:57..
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:04   #5
SouthpawShootr
NRA Life Member
 
SouthpawShootr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 5,935
OK, what would the .357 Sig offer that the .38 Super couldn't? You're not going to get a smaller gun. The super with the +P loading should be about equal in velocity to the .357 Sig round.
SouthpawShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:14   #6
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks
 
SIGShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawShootr View Post
OK, what would the .357 Sig offer that the .38 Super couldn't? You're not going to get a smaller gun. The super with the +P loading should be about equal in velocity to the .357 Sig round.

I don't believe the OP asked about 38 Super. He asked about .357 SIG.

Just sayin.

But, an answer to your question…I don't like 38 Super, I like .357 SIG. So as to what the 38 Super could offer, for me, would be nothing. I'm assuming the OP also likes the .357 SIG.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:25   #7
SouthpawShootr
NRA Life Member
 
SouthpawShootr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGShooter View Post
I don't believe the OP asked about 38 Super. He asked about .357 SIG.

Just sayin.

But, an answer to your question…I don't like 38 Super, I like .357 SIG. So as to what the 38 Super could offer, for me, would be nothing. I'm assuming the OP also likes the .357 SIG.
I'm not going off topic here. I fully realize the OP didn't ask about the .38 super. I was trying to suggest that the reason you don't see the .357 Sig offered in a 1911 is that the .38 Super most likely already fills that void. The standard .38 super loading pretty much equals the .357 Sig. The +P load would likely go beyond it ballistically. Just like you don't see that many .40s. The platform is already adapted to the 10mm and the same gun in the .40 diesn't offer anything that isn't covered by the 10. I believe Para makes a .40 but it is a double stack and I don't see them hardly at all anymore. Now, if you could get a .357 barrel for an EMP, that might be worthwhile. I wonder if it would require a ramped barrel though.
SouthpawShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:31   #8
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks
 
SIGShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawShootr View Post
I'm not going off topic here. I fully realize the OP didn't ask about the .38 super. I was trying to suggest that the reason you don't see the .357 Sig offered in a 1911 is that the .38 Super most likely already fills that void. The standard .38 super loading pretty much equals the .357 Sig. The +P load would likely go beyond it ballistically. Just like you don't see that many .40s. The platform is already adapted to the 10mm and the same gun in the .40 diesn't offer anything that isn't covered by the 10. I believe Para makes a .40 but it is a double stack and I don't see them hardly at all anymore. Now, if you could get a .357 barrel for an EMP, that might be worthwhile. I wonder if it would require a ramped barrel though.

But that's not what you originally asked.

In my opinion, the 38 Super wouldn't offer anything more than the .357 SIG would. I just happen to prefer the .357 SIG over the 38 Super. Now, in regards to the the 10MM…After reading the thread in caliber corner about bullet penetration…I think the 10MM definitely has more to it than a 40 S&W. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't own any 10MM but likes the 40S&W.

No worries though.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:39   #9
nolt
DONT PANIC!
 
nolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 855
there are people that will make you a 357sig and/or set up a 40sw/10mm gun to shoot it.

theyre not common because of the point SpS made earlier. 357sig was marketed to maximize the ballistics of the shorter round. 1911s work great with longer rounds.
357sig is more common on the BHP platform.

Last edited by nolt; 12-22-2010 at 18:39..
nolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:43   #10
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,914
I think a .357 Sig 1911 would be pretty cool.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 18:57   #11
LabTech
Village Jackass
 
LabTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scenic southeast Ohio
Posts: 1,730
The reason that I asked about the .357 Sig round is because I like the round. I looked quickly at the Federal ammunition site and it looks to me like the 38 Super +P produces 1200 fps while the 357 Sig does 1350 at the muzzle. The SA EMP in 357 Sig would be the shizzle. Just my opinion.
__________________
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
LabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 19:01   #12
LabTech
Village Jackass
 
LabTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scenic southeast Ohio
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawShootr View Post
Now, if you could get a .357 barrel for an EMP, that might be worthwhile. I wonder if it would require a ramped barrel though.
I'd love an EMP in 357. Would the bottleneck profile of the 357 make it feed more reliably?
__________________
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
LabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 19:13   #13
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabTech View Post
The SA EMP in 357 Sig would be the shizzle. Just my opinion.
Talk about a sweet CC peice.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 19:32   #14
gconan
Senior Member
 
gconan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabTech View Post
I'd love an EMP in 357. Would the bottleneck profile of the 357 make it feed more reliably?
I cannot remember where I read it, but unlike other guns the bottleneck is not good for feeding in a 1911. Perhaps it was one of Patrick Sweeney's 1911 books? I am sorry I am not sure.
__________________
Big Dawg#672
NRA
Niners#52
Bladerunner#14
gconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 20:14   #15
SouthpawShootr
NRA Life Member
 
SouthpawShootr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by gconan View Post
I cannot remember where I read it, but unlike other guns the bottleneck is not good for feeding in a 1911. Perhaps it was one of Patrick Sweeney's 1911 books? I am sorry I am not sure.
I'm thinking it might need a ramped barrel to work reliably. Not really a deal killer, but the gunsmithing might put a dent in the budget if the base gun isn't already set up for it.

Quote:
In my opinion, the 38 Super wouldn't offer anything more than the .357 SIG would. I just happen to prefer the .357 SIG over the 38 Super. Now, in regards to the the 10MM…After reading the thread in caliber corner about bullet penetration…I think the 10MM definitely has more to it than a 40 S&W. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't own any 10MM but likes the 40S&W.
My winter carry is a G32. I love the .357 Sig, in spite of the cost of the ammo limiting how much I shoot it. I have a 1911 in 10mm and a G20 and I get a charge out of shooting them.
SouthpawShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 20:31   #16
nolt
DONT PANIC!
 
nolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 855
i like my G32* (nod to Joe)

but in 1911 shooting snappier rounds than 45... ill take 10mm.
nolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 21:29   #17
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,626
Blog Entries: 3
the bottleneck does best in a ramped barrel.
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 23:46   #18
LabTech
Village Jackass
 
LabTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scenic southeast Ohio
Posts: 1,730
Just found out that Bar Sto already makes 357 Sig barrels for 1911. Apparently others are doing this already. Also found out that STI makes a 2011 double stack in 357.
__________________
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by LabTech; 12-23-2010 at 00:07.. Reason: STI comment added
LabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:25   #19
PlasticGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 10,255
I've seen a couple .357 Sig 1911's. Makes sense to me. Ultimately, it can be loaded to slightly higher velocities than the .38 Super. There is also a larger variety of factory loaded defensive ammo for it. You can get more performance out of a 9x21 in a 1911, but there are some downsides also. Ultimately, if you want one, why not? That's the beauty of the 1911.
__________________
I'd be a better listener if you stopped talking about stupid crap that doesn't matter.
PlasticGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31   #20
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabTech View Post
Just found out that Bar Sto already makes 357 Sig barrels for 1911. Apparently others are doing this already. Also found out that STI makes a 2011 double stack in 357.
The reason that STI is not making a 2011 in .357 is that some countries don't allow calibers above 9mm, and IPSC is allowing .357 Sig as an alternative for Major (since it doesn't offer capacity advantage over .40). There was a recent article in USPSA's Front Sight magazine regarding this.

My question about a single stack 1911 would be about the magazines. We all know that typically the .40 and .357 Sig share the same magazines. However, in the P239, the most commonly available single stack magazine, they do use a different magazine between .40 and .357 Sig. As it is, short rounds in a 1911 (9mm and .40) magazine is already a "tweak" by having a spacer to keep the rounds from "floating" too much in the mag (with a space in the front of rear).

I've said it before, it's too bad the 9x23 round didn't take off. Ballistics out of a 5" 1911 was close to 1500 fps with factory ammunition using a 124g bullet.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 660
153 Members
507 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31