SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:28   #1
iluv2viddyfilms

Going deer hunting with model 29 S&W .44 magnum

Yep.

It has a six inch barrel on it, which is enough for Iowa where I'm at. I'm planning on using the basic 240 grain soft point white box of Winchester that you can get on any Wal-Mart shelf. I reckon this should be enough to drop any size of deer.

This is also my first time hunting deer, so wish me luck. Hopefully I get something, but they are out in Iowa even though it's late in the season. Late muzzleloader to be exact, but you can hunt with handguns during this season.

There's snow on the ground so they should be easy to follow the blood if I hit one and it moves.
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36   #2
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms View Post
Yep.

It has a six inch barrel on it, which is enough for Iowa where I'm at. I'm planning on using the basic 240 grain soft point white box of Winchester that you can get on any Wal-Mart shelf. I reckon this should be enough to drop any size of deer.

This is also my first time hunting deer, so wish me luck. Hopefully I get something, but they are out in Iowa even though it's late in the season. Late muzzleloader to be exact, but you can hunt with handguns during this season.

There's snow on the ground so they should be easy to follow the blood if I hit one and it moves.

Should be fine and should work with no problems.

Last edited by noway; 12-26-2010 at 09:37..
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 17:04   #3
357glocker

So where's the pic of your deer!

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 18:15   #4
utah

I've used Sierra 240 JHP's on deer for years with great results. 6.5" Classic Hunter. Granted I reload mine, but you should have any problems. None of them went farther than 10 yards after being hit.
Old 12-26-2010, 18:30   #5
Petrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
I've used Sierra 240 JHP's on deer for years with great results. 6.5" Classic Hunter. Granted I reload mine, but you should have any problems. None of them went farther than 10 yards after being hit.
Dirty Harry gun on whitetails. Sounds like fun.
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 19:50   #6
K.Kiser

Just make sure you are well practiced enough to hit where you need too, and wait for a nice broadside... I've hunted with my 29 Classic also, it's the 8 3/8" barrel and I used home loads w/265 bullets loaded to max pressure... If I do it again I may try some Barnes X bullets or up the weight to 300 grain bullets... Good luck
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 19:52   #7
anxietycoachjohn

Good luck mate.. ehhehe... be careful hope you enjoy in your new hobby

anxietycoachjohn
anxietycoachjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 20:06   #8
Hummer
Big Member

Good luck on your hunt. I carry a Model 29 every year when hunting elk and deer--but not every day. It's just more weight than I normally want to haul around in addition to my rifle and pack. The .44 mag with a good 240 or 265 gr. bullet is up to the task of killing an elk and I'd feel comfortable shooting within 50 yards or so. Beyond that I'd likely choose a rifle, even a muzzleloader. Given a short hunting season I wouldn't leave a rifle behind just in the off chance of getting a close shot with a handgun. Your situation and goals may be different.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 20:12   #9
pennlineman

It'll work just fine if you do your part. Wait for a good shot and there will be little or no tracking involved. Good luck!
pennlineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 20:16   #10
vafish

The Winchester White Box 240 gr JSP's kill deer just fine.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50   #11
sourdough44

If brand spanking new to deer hunting, late season at that, I'd opt for the M-L or shotgun. If you are 'bowshot' close it should workout IF you were to put the bullet in the correct spot. Enjoy.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 14:53   #12
iluv2viddyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
If brand spanking new to deer hunting, late season at that, I'd opt for the M-L or shotgun. If you are 'bowshot' close it should workout IF you were to put the bullet in the correct spot. Enjoy.
It's only muzzleloader right now. I can't hunt with a shotgun or rifle at the moment.

I went hour for a few hours on public hunting ground yesterday and didn't see anything aside from about 10 or a dozen turkeys. I found a spot and waited, but tomorrow I'm going on private ground that my dad owns so I may have more luck at seeing something.

Is most of deer hunting finding a spot and just waiting for a deer to come along? Keep in mind I won't be driving them or any such thing.
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 19:47   #13
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms View Post
Is most of deer hunting finding a spot and just waiting for a deer to come along? Keep in mind I won't be driving them or any such thing.
I can only speak for myself, but that is pretty much how deer hunting is done for us... Mapping out what we think is the best spot for quality deer traffic, concealability, clear shot availability, and what for the moment...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 21:30   #14
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
I've used a .44 mag handgun to kill deer at over 100 yards and they die just as fast as if they were hit with a .30-06. So I know the .44 magnum works well past "bowshot" close.

But you are correct on the part about placing the bullet in the correct spot.

For handgun hunting you need to take a 9" paper plate and fire 5 or 6 shots off hand. Start at 25 yards and keep moving the targets further back until you can't keep all your shots on the paper plate. Whatever distance was the last that you could keep all your shots on the paper plate is the maximum distance you should take a shot on deer.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07   #15
sourdough44

I know everyone is a marksman with their handgun but when it comes to rounds expended & number of dead deer on the ground statistics with handguns aren't great. That's been my observations in over 30 yrs of deer hunting in multiple states. Of course maybe every incident I observed was bottom of the barrel handgun hunters. Your mileage obviously varies on this one.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote