SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:10   #1
DBL
I Like Cheese

Primers falling out?

I was shooting some Buffalo Bore 230 grain hard cast out of my G20 the other day and when I picked up my brass the primers in two of them were no where to be found. It was very cold and the brass did eject into the snow. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Does anyone know what could have caused this? And should I throw them away, or throw the whole 20 away?
Thanks.
DBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28   #2
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Any other signs of excess pressure? (Glock-Belly-Swell, breach-face markings on head of rim, severe ejector marks, etc.?)

I highly doubt the snow has to do with it. Cold makes things contract, which should give the brass better grip on the primer, not worse...

What brand of brass are these BB rounds loaded with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

MakeMine A10mm, asked very important questions...but here are some thoughts to ponder.

Could be poor primer to pocket seal...poor quality brass(pocket too large) or primer(primer cup too small).

The slide could have moved when the cartridge was fired...potent ammo and/or weak recoil spring allowing unlock too early.

If you didn't see any of the things mentioned by MakeMine A10mm, you could just have fun with the rest of them.

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 12-29-2010 at 10:50..
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 14:08   #4
DBL
I Like Cheese

Ok here's a little more info. It is Starline brass and I'm shooting them out of a Lonewolf barrel so there isn't really any Glock belly on the brass, some flattening of the primer on some of the others. I'm using a 22 lb. recoil spring so I don't think it's a weak spring. There was no excessive residue or pieces of primer in the gun and nothing came back at me while shooting. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 15:34   #5
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

In that case, I'm leaning towards one of two things:

My first and strongest guess is that Star-Line had some pieces of expecially soft brass sneak by. (Soft brass when subjected to a very heavy load on the first firing CAN result in the primer pocket swelling to the point that the primers fall out. Try mic-ing the inside diameter of the primer pockets, if you still have them. Also, try measuring the outside of the case's web (the thick part, where the brass is solid, NOT the area up where there's powder-chamber, which always expands), and see if that solid area has expanded too. If so, this is for sure a soft brass situation. (Over-annealed)

The other possibility is that there's something going on with the timing of the gun. You're not running a G-21 slide are you?

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 20:18   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

DBL, Do you handload? If yes, try re-priming to see how putting in a new primer feels! Maybe someone you might know who handloads...
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 23:24   #7
DBL
I Like Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
In that case, I'm leaning towards one of two things:

My first and strongest guess is that Star-Line had some pieces of expecially soft brass sneak by. (Soft brass when subjected to a very heavy load on the first firing CAN result in the primer pocket swelling to the point that the primers fall out. Try mic-ing the inside diameter of the primer pockets, if you still have them. Also, try measuring the outside of the case's web (the thick part, where the brass is solid, NOT the area up where there's powder-chamber, which always expands), and see if that solid area has expanded too. If so, this is for sure a soft brass situation. (Over-annealed)

The other possibility is that there's something going on with the timing of the gun. You're not running a G-21 slide are you?
Nope I'm not running a G-21 slide. I have shot maybe 50 rounds through this gun with the Lonewolf barrel (about 200 total rounds). 20 of them were the BB round and the rest were my own loads which is 8.5 grains of PP behind a 180 grain JHP and only two of the BB rounds did this. I am out of town for the holidays so I will have to wait until I get home to mic the primer pockets and the web and maybe try and seat a primer in one of them. I've been loading and shooting the 10mm for a few years now and I have never had this happen before so I thought I would see if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-2010, 13:19   #8
Burien

Winchester LP primers fall out of my heavy / hot / fastest loads, I swiched to WOLF LP and TULA LP Mag primers, feel the difference inserting the primers. Will were .001 smaller than the Tula.
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote