SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:03   #1
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

12 Gauge Nobel Sport Law Enforcement 2 3/4" Double Ball Buckshot

anybody familiar with 12 Gauge Nobel Sport Law Enforcement 2 3/4" Double Ball Buckshot? i'm considering picking some up... interested in consumer feedback.
Old 12-31-2010, 19:50   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

"Its round ball provides maximum penetration and knockdown"

This from the manufacturer's website. That would seem to go against everything modern ballistics technology has learned in the last century.

That being said, two large diameter musket balls a few inches apart would probably be a devastating wound.

I saw this and a single round ball load for the first time this week in a gunshop. It is marketed as a LE round, but I have never heard of any agency issuing a round like this. My agency issues Federal Tactical, and most agencies I have dealt with issue the same.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 20:23   #3
american lockpicker
License to Il

Where is it made?
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 20:25   #4
GoBow

Sounds similar to Dixie Tri Ball which has 3 pellets. Guys that use that load like it, alot.
GoBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:41   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by american lockpicker View Post
Where is it made?
France
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 13:47   #6
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
"Its round ball provides maximum penetration and knockdown"

This from the manufacturer's website. That would seem to go against everything modern ballistics technology has learned in the last century.

That being said, two large diameter musket balls a few inches apart would probably be a devastating wound.

I saw this and a single round ball load for the first time this week in a gunshop. It is marketed as a LE round, but I have never heard of any agency issuing a round like this. My agency issues Federal Tactical, and most agencies I have dealt with issue the same.
i have some federal tactical as my primary defensive loads... but i found a good deal on these double ball, but i don't know much about them... they'll be some good ammo to horse around with, but also i figure it'll make decent back up defensive rounds. (you know, in case i have to defend myself against a hoard of mutated mountain lions)

any knowledge on the basic ballistics? i've read up on those dixie triball loads, but i couldn't find anything on my double ball. what sort of range do i get out of them? do they stay in a tight group or do they spread far? i don't particularly care much either way... i've ordered them and am waiting on them, so i'll test it out when i get them... but just wondering if anybody has any knowledge on these rounds at all.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58   #7
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

i got my ammo yesterday... can't fire it til my shotgun gets back from the shop. but there's one thing i don't like. they use a plastic wad that apparently doesn't do a great job of holding all the powder in, because as i opened the package powder was everywhere. the shells are transparent, and you can see bits of powder everywhere inside the shell. i cut one open to take a closer look and obviously the bulk of the powder was still down where it's supposed to be and i couldn't specifically locate a leak, but my concern is that over a period of time the powder will slowly and surely leak out. warranted concerns?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53   #8
Raleigh Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder86 View Post
ias i opened the package powder was everywhere.
I've seen this with the shot buffering powder loaded around pellets, but I've never seen actual gun powder get past the wad. That seems very strange and dangerous, because that means there is a way for an errand ember to set off your ammunition.

Are you sure it is gun powder and not shot buffering powder?
Raleigh Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 21:41   #9
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Glocker View Post
I've seen this with the shot buffering powder loaded around pellets, but I've never seen actual gun powder get past the wad. That seems very strange and dangerous, because that means there is a way for an errand ember to set off your ammunition.

Are you sure it is gun powder and not shot buffering powder?
i'm not sure. all i know is the the shells have the lead balls, the plastic wad, and beneath that lay the powder. the powder i found everywhere seemed to match the powder i found beneath the wad and balls. what's buffering powder? i'm not familiar with it.

and i haven't actually noticed powder leaking from the shells technically, but there was loads of it dusting the box the shells arrived in...

Last edited by powder86; 01-07-2011 at 21:47..
powder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02   #10
Raleigh Glocker

Some shotshells, usually higher end ones, have polymer buffer mixed in with the shot to keep all of the pellets evenly separated and reduce deformation when shot. Think of it like styrofoam packing peanuts in a package- they fill in all of the gaps. I've seen the same thing with a lot of turkey loads, where some of the buffer was in the boxes, but it was obvious to me that it was shot buffer getting past the crimps and not gun powder getting past the wad.

See http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...ffer_page1.htm for more info.

If you see powder of any kind in the box, you have to wonder what it is and how it got there. If I thought it was gun powder, I'd be very concerned for the reasons cited above.
Raleigh Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 18:34   #11
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

yea, i'm pretty confident it is gun powder... there's definitely no buffer... and the tip of the shell is kinda open like on a slug, except they tried to crimp the top down, but there's small gaps between the ball and the plastic. once i get my gun back i'll fire a few and test em out. but these will definitely just be plinkin ammo. i won't be savin any of these for defense. or i'll try to sell em or something.
Old 01-08-2011, 19:43   #12
longbowshooter

I do not have experience with these rounds, but have used foster slugs on deer. THe slugs at close range go all the way through. If the 2 large balls do the same thing, there will be wasted energy compared to a buckshot load which I would think deliver more energy to the target. Just a thought.
longbowshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 20:41   #13
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowshooter View Post
I do not have experience with these rounds, but have used foster slugs on deer. THe slugs at close range go all the way through. If the 2 large balls do the same thing, there will be wasted energy compared to a buckshot load which I would think deliver more energy to the target. Just a thought.
yea i would imagine these would over penetrate... these are just gonna be target shooting loads.
Old 02-06-2011, 22:34   #14
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

so i finally shot these today. i had to wait to get my shotgun back in the mail and a break in the weather to go shooting. so on superbowl sunday i managed to get some range time with this ammo.
wow... kicks really hard. and it was kicking up massive chunks of earth from the backstop. kept good groupings... didn't spread nearly as far as i thought it would at 40 yards. but yea, the biggest range note was how hard these shells kick. too hard for my wife to even attempt them. she wouldn't tolerate them well. me and my bro in law were both swearin after 4 shots each... the first hurt. the 2nd was fine. the third hurt as much as the first. but the fourth? wow, i thought i'd just gotten slugged as hard as somebody could hit me. the fifth i just shot from the hip... i fired more later from the shoulder, but couldn't take more than a few in a row before needing a break.
anyway, good ammo. fun. but ouch. don't know how much practical use i could ever get from them. too much for HD. i'd take out the neighbors.