SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 13:34   #1
doby

Any here shoot 1000 yd matches?

If so, could you go to general firearms and straighten out some ignorant people about what the 223 AR's have been doing at that range? Those guys are unaware that the 223 AR has OWNED the 600 yd line for over a dozen years now. :-)
Old 01-01-2011, 15:03   #2
rca256

Quote:
Originally Posted by doby View Post
If so, could you go to general firearms and straighten out some ignorant people about what the 223 AR's have been doing at that range? Those guys are unaware that the 223 AR has OWNED the 600 yd line for over a dozen years now. :-)
You are such a wanker...

Our general point was TERMINAL ballistics, not denting paper.

"Hey, let's be careful out there." - Hill Street Blues (1981)
Old 01-01-2011, 15:26   #3
jdavionic
NRA Member

I believe you referenced 1000 yd NRA AR-15 matches in a similar thread. I'm not aware of such matches. The NRA has high-powered matches that are out that far, but not .223/5.56 specific matches and I've not heard of anyone competing in these matches with an AR-15.

Can you provide a link to such a match?

That aside, finding a 1000 yd range is quite a challenge for many folks. Near me, we've got one that goes out to 700-800 yds. So I'd be curious where you are able to routinely shoot with at a 1000 yds.

And lastly, shooting consistently and accurately at a 1000 yds with any rifle is quite a challenge. Most do not possess the equipment or skill set...myself included. I've shot accurately out to 500 yds and that was quite a challenge.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 01-01-2011, 15:29   #4
doby

I told you that the 1000 yd 223 ballistics is 90 grs, 1200 fps, 270 ft lbs. If you think that such a load will bounce off of you, I can arrange to demo how wrong you are. even a mere 120 ft lb .22lr hit will be enough to make ANYONE miss you if they are trying to fire BACK at 1000 yds. Do you plan to real quick ride a motorcycle out there and scalp them, before they bleed out, or why do you need more impact-energy, eh? you haven't thought thru your point, obviously. You are probably the type who "thinks" a 38 plus p lhp is an adequate manstopper. Where would you rather have a "failure to stop", at 1000 yds or at axe swinging ranges, hmm?
Old 01-01-2011, 15:32   #5
doby

Well then you ain't asked around much, dude. The AR 223 has OWNED the 600 yd line of the NRA matches (all rifles, to include bolt actions) for over a decade now. ever since Berger first brought out his 80 gr VLD for the 223. The guys have been working towards 1000 yd performance ever since. I can't believe people are too lazy to google this, check it out on AR-15.com and CSP Forums. Well, actually, I can believe it, knowing most Net posters.
Old 01-01-2011, 15:38   #6
mgs
Always Carrying

A friend of mine shoots 1000yd competition with the Army guys in TN and they do very well with HBAR or Match Rifles. They use the 80g Hornaday. Not sure if it's a sanctioned match. There are 1000yd prone matches with open sight or any sight I know. They use to run them here at the 1000yd club here in Bodines, PA. Most rifles were 300 Win Mags or 6.5x284 or just the .308 with 190's. Smallest group record was just shot with a 300 Winchester Short Mag using Berger bullets. One guy uses a 220 Swift with 80 or 90 match bullets with a fast twist barrel. Pretty cool and accurate. I've shot Camp Perry National Matches and the AR rules the line now and for the past 10 years....very few .308's any more. Havent shot my M1A in years. I use the 80g Sierra at 600 and 700 yds and wind is a nastly enemy here or in Ohio.....Mike.

Last edited by mgs; 01-01-2011 at 15:43..
Old 01-01-2011, 15:49   #7
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Well then you ain't asked around much, dude. The AR 223 has OWNED the 600 yd line of the NRA matches (all rifles, to include bolt actions) for over a decade now. ever since Berger first brought out his 80 gr VLD for the 223. The guys have been working towards 1000 yd performance ever since. I can't believe people are too lazy to google this, check it out on AR-15.com and CSP Forums. Well, actually, I can believe it, knowing most Net posters.
I belong to Arf as well. I see a LOT of claims on that forum. So what? That's not what I asked and your response is intentionally a nonresponse. I asked you a simple question to back up your assertion. You asserted there were NRA 1000 yd matches with ARs. Prove it.

I've already told you that I am not aware of ANY NRA 1000 yd AR-15 matches. There are NRA High Powered matches that go out that far, but I am not aware of folks competing with an AR-15 in those matches.

For a newbie, you sure come across as...well
Black Rifle Forum

P.S. Note...I'm not denying that people can shoot an AR-15 out to 1000 yds. I reload my own .223 rounds and have built my own rifles. If you have the right round with the right barrel, chamber, etc, with the right skills...it can certainly be done and has been done many times. However I am not aware of any 1000 yd NRA AR-15 matches or AR-15s being used competitively in the NRA high powered matches.

In addition, finding places to shoot 1000 yds is quite a challenge...one area where you completely dodged the questions too. Let's just say, it makes me quite skeptical of you.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."

Last edited by jdavionic; 01-01-2011 at 16:17..
Old 01-01-2011, 16:38   #8
Hoser
Mall Ninja

I shoot a lot of long range rifle. Mainly F-Class. But seeing as how the NRA outlawed the use of suppressors in NRA sanctioned matches, I wont be shooting them anymore other than Remembering the Brave Match.

At the last regional (Colorado) the USMC Team showed up and shot their service rifles (NM AR-15s) for the 600 and 1,000 yard matches. In fact they shot them the whole time. I think I saw one Jarhead with an M1A.
Old 01-01-2011, 16:50   #9
rca256

Quote:
I told you that the 1000 yd 223 ballistics is 90 grs, 1200 fps, 270 ft lbs. If you think that such a load will bounce off of you, I can arrange to demo how wrong you are. even a mere 120 ft lb .22lr hit will be enough to make ANYONE miss you if they are trying to fire BACK at 1000 yds. Do you plan to real quick ride a motorcycle out there and scalp them, before they bleed out, or why do you need more impact-energy, eh? you haven't thought thru your point, obviously. You are probably the type who "thinks" a 38 plus p lhp is an adequate manstopper. Where would you rather have a "failure to stop", at 1000 yds or at axe swinging ranges, hmm?
And I told you apples and oranges. You are into exotic rounds. You really are not a good newbie. Time for you to hit my ignore list, you argumentative ass wipe. Have your survival fun with your .22LR.

"Hey, let's be careful out there." - Hill Street Blues (1981)
Old 01-01-2011, 17:11   #10
themighty9mm

Dude... Why even post a sub thread about another thread. I'm a huge fan of the AR and the 223, but like anything else it has limitations. You say you read about people shooting to 1k. Cool. I'm sure it has been done and can be done. The problem with 223 and a outdoor environment and 1k is weight and wind. While all bullets are greatly effected by wind at those kinda ranges the 223 is even more so due to its very light weight. Most shooters that do 1k are using something like a 300 win mag or on the light end a 308. 223 while it can be done its just not a better choice
Old 01-01-2011, 17:48   #11
gomerpyle

Dopy, I have one question. Where are your 1,000yrd targets shot with your AR15? All this ballistic data and arguing doesn't mean a thing if it's not being implemented by you. I could care less what some professional shooters do with their rifles. It's fun stretching the legs of a given caliber at long ranges, part of the reason the 1,000s of people post on here is the enjoyment of shooting. But this argument is ignorant to say the least. Unless your a competition long range shooter arguing with another, the average plinker doesn't give two s**t's. Putting a target downrange and to trying to shoot it, regardless of ones skill set, is great fun. The fun part seems to be missed by most on these gun forums. Everyone has to be an "operator" or "sniper" these days.

Quote:
I can't believe people are too lazy to google this, check it out on AR-15.com and CSP Forums. Well, actually, I can believe it, knowing most Net posters.
seems like that's been done a little too much....

Last edited by gomerpyle; 01-01-2011 at 17:59..
Old 01-01-2011, 20:07   #12
m2hmghb

Typically the shooters shooting at 1000 yards use a specialized projectile, a tight chamber, and a lot of modifications to the rifle. The ammo is typically single loaded into the rifle because the over all length is too long to load them into the magazine. The .308 has none of these problems, the standard 150 grain or 147 grain projectile does not need to have a specialized magazine or a specific projectile that is modified just for that ability.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
Old 01-01-2011, 23:05   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Actually M2 I'm going to have to disagree.

In the service rifle class, which is how this all got started, guys are shooting their AR's semi auto still. You won't pass the time limits for quick fire without it. Unless you're firing a bolt, with stripper clips and can reload quickly.

In the other classes, you're correct, rifles like the Tub 2000, which are bolt action modified AR's are more the standard for competition.

That said, I'd be happy to see the new incarnation of gunkid head down the road

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Closed Thread