SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2011, 23:03   #1
Fwdftw

Not a bad price

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...en&groupid=208

delton MOE edition.. i know its not your milspec BCM etc etc etc but still not bad for the range shooter
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 23:19   #2
mvician
Lifetime Membership

and for a few dollars more you can have something a lot better....
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 23:44   #3
trlcavscout

Not a bad price at all.
Old 01-02-2011, 00:16   #4
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

No not bad for a plinker. Easily upgraded though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 00:23   #5
mjkeat

For the money it would cost to upgrade youd be spending more then if you would have just spent the extra $80 on something better to start with.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 00:58   #6
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
For the money it would cost to upgrade youd be spending more then if you would have just spent the extra $80 on something better to start with.
Not necessarily. It depends what you upgrade. Also let's say you upgrade the bolt. Well, now you have a spare bolt which everyone should have if they are a serious shooter anyways. My point is, you could do far worse. Its not a terrible gun and it has some cool upgrades already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:32   #7
Broncbuster
Dying Breed

Not a bad price. Nothing wrong with Delton. I have one I put together that has been 100% reliable and is more accuarate than some of my hi dollar rigs. Funny how I have never heard or seen a failure but people always have negative comments about these and most probably have never owned one.
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22   #8
Frog1

Del Ton is the hidden jewel in AR land. I built one just like the picture for $620.00. They use Mossberg barrels on the non-chrome lined guns. Most accruate AR's I have all have Mossberg barrels on them.

Save a hundred dollars and get one of their kits. Add the free float option, and you will have a tack driving carbine for about the same money. Great quality.
Frog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:28   #9
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Isn't that pretty much always the case?

Dig the OD furniture.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30   #10
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Not necessarily. It depends what you upgrade. Also let's say you upgrade the bolt. Well, now you have a spare bolt which everyone should have if they are a serious shooter anyways. My point is, you could do far worse. Its not a terrible gun and it has some cool upgrades already.
Yeah but then your back to your back to where you started w/ an inferior bolt. If youre running your gun hard enough to brake a "good" bolt how long do you think the bolt you deemed "not good enough" and "worthy of replacement" will last?

I do agree you can do much worse but for the price of a new bolt you can have something that comes w/ grade A parts from the manufacturer. You'll have the piece of mind that comes w/ knowing your rifle is up for any challenge, was machined correctly w/i proper specs each and every time.

Ive thought about purchasing the same rifle from AIM but keep telling myself spend a little more change and get something a lot better. I also want to be able to run Wolf or Tula w/o voiding the warranty.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35   #11
boomhower

1/9, non-chromelined? No thank. I hate the Spikes logo with a passion but I would spend another $80 and go with them. You can get an MOE kit for $100 for the lot if that's what you want. Spend the money on the heart of the gun first, then worry about dressing it up.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11   #12
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Yeah but then your back to your back to where you started w/ an inferior bolt. If youre running your gun hard enough to brake a "good" bolt how long do you think the bolt you deemed "not good enough" and "worthy of replacement" will last?

I do agree you can do much worse but for the price of a new bolt you can have something that comes w/ grade A parts from the manufacturer. You'll have the piece of mind that comes w/ knowing your rifle is up for any challenge, was machined correctly w/i proper specs each and every time.

Ive thought about purchasing the same rifle from AIM but keep telling myself spend a little more change and get something a lot better. I also want to be able to run Wolf or Tula w/o voiding the warranty.
You're overthinking things. Its a backup. Do you have a full size spare tire for your cars?

Plus, I wouldn't expect someone who plans on running their gun hard to buy this rifle. It's a decent rifle for a beginner. Someone who is just gonna plink or just wants to try out the ar platform.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:32   #13
TedG
Infidel USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
+1 Do it right the first time and you'll save money in the long run.

Become an Organ Donor today:
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33   #14
mjkeat

Quote:
You're overthinking things. Its a backup. Do you have a full size spare tire for your cars?

Plus, I wouldn't expect someone who plans on running their gun hard to buy this rifle. It's a decent rifle for a beginner. Someone who is just gonna plink or just wants to try out the ar platform.
I understand what you are saying completely. My point is whether you're just going to fire a few rounds a year the extra $ ( less than $100 ) would be money well spent in the long run. Lets say someone purchases the DelTon then decides they really want to get serious. That person would have to spend the $ to upgrade or purchase another, better quality AR. If they would have spent the extra $ in the beginning they would have saved them self close to a $1000. Whats $80 or so when you're spending almost $800. Buying the Delton has crossed my mind for a throw around but then I fall back on the "why not spend a little bit more for a lot more" way of thinking. Im a value shopper. With this DelTon youre giving up quality for some Magpul furniture. Its easier to save $100 for the furniture than another $800 for another AR when you out grow the Delton.

If he's just wanting to try out the AR platform I suggest renting from the range or barrowing one from a friend. I was shooting next to a guy just yesterday doing just that. I wouldnt hesitate to let someone, that approached me, fondle and put some rounds through any of mine.

You can get the Spikes complete mid length upper w/ buffer and MOE HG for $499 then add a BCM complete lower for $290 and have something that'll handle most anything.

Read this http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300529. My DD, $499 Spikes, LWRC, build using quality parts from manufacturers w/ good reps have never given me a single problem. Other than putting a lower power trigger assembly in a x39 AR instead of a full power milspec trigger group. That was more of an ammo problem.

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-02-2011 at 12:54..
Old 01-02-2011, 13:18   #15
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Yeah but let's be honest here. Most folks who buy a rifle, get it to the range shoot a couple hundred rounds maybe and put it in their safe for a year or more without so much as fondling it. There are more people out there like that than you'd think. Don't get me wrong. That's not a rifle id buy. But it would work well for the majority of people out there. If they ever decided to get serious it wouldnt take much to get it close enough to milspec that it would run very well.

At least, I myself feel confident I could get it acceptably reliable. Chances are, it will NEVER come to that.

Last edited by RMTactical; 01-02-2011 at 13:19..
Old 01-02-2011, 15:38   #16
En9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
1/9, non-chromelined? No thanks. I hate the Spikes logo with a passion but I would spend another $80 and go with them. You can get an MOE kit for $100 for the lot if that's what you want. Spend the money on the heart of the gun first, then worry about dressing it up.
You can call them and get a lower without the spider on it.
En9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 15:59   #17
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
1/9, non-chromelined? No thank. I hate the Spikes logo with a passion but I would spend another $80 and go with them. You can get an MOE kit for $100 for the lot if that's what you want. Spend the money on the heart of the gun first, then worry about dressing it up.
I kinda like the darth vader logo, better than a deer
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 16:22   #18
mjkeat

Quote:
Yeah but let's be honest here. Most folks who buy a rifle, get it to the range shoot a couple hundred rounds maybe and put it in their safe for a year or more without so much as fondling it. There are more people out there like that than you'd think. Don't get me wrong. That's not a rifle id buy. But it would work well for the majority of people out there. If they ever decided to get serious it wouldnt take much to get it close enough to milspec that it would run very well.

At least, I myself feel confident I could get it acceptably reliable. Chances are, it will NEVER come to that.
I see where youre coming from. I guess my thing is I never know if the latest AR will be my last so I try to go as "big" as finances will allow w/i reason.

-------

Are these Deltons really MilSpec? For some reason I didnt think they were.

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-02-2011 at 16:24..