Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2011, 15:32   #1
AFPD118
CLM Number 176
NRA Memeber

Picked up my Stag Arms model 8 today

Stag Arms model 8 gas piston AR-15 in 5.56 comes with a decent set of MI pop sights.

Got a great price at Frank's Guns; $999.92 if you deduct the $220 worth of sights, that is like $780 for the rifle.

Range report soon, will add some sort of quad rail, likely a DD Omega 7, i can try the one off my model 3 and see how it works on the piston set up.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

G22, 27, 21SF, 30SF, Springer XD45, Taurus PT1911, KelTec PF-9, Stag Arms models 3 and 8 AR-15s in 5.56, Mossberg 12Ga 590A1. Reloader; Dillon 550B

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
AFPD118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 16:08   #2
John Hatcher
Romeo Charlie

Congrats on purchase! Great deal!
Old 01-04-2011, 16:09   #3
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Congrats. Get us a range report if you get the time, please...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 17:30   #4
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Can't wait to hear the range report. That's the one that's at the top of my candidate list right now.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 19:24   #5
mixflip

Congrats! I am a fellow M8 owner. Killer price too!!!!! I have made a few M8 review videos if you are interested?

What I found is that the FSB gets really hot. This leads me to think that if it were wrapped with an aluminum quad rail, that rail might absorb alot of heat and require you to wear gloves if you are the type that shoots in rapid succession (like in a carbine course?) I am sure aluminum quad rails will still work fine in the grand scheme of things unless you plan to slap it on a select fire lower? lol.

I personally went with the Magpul MOE handguards because they are light and the polymer does not retain heat. I had to modify them with a dremel to fit the larger gas tube but it only took 60 seconds to do.

I have heard report that after the initial break in period where the interfacing metal parts all find their place, many reported that carrier tilt and cam pin wear stopped. Me personally, I bought the POF roller cam pin for $20 (directly from POF) and love it. Cheap insurance even if you dont really need it?

Here is a short video I made about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcy6whOAwZ4

Just some info from a fellow M8 owner.
Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by mixflip; 01-04-2011 at 19:35..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 19:32   #6
AFPD118
CLM Number 176
NRA Memeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Congrats! I am a fellow M8 owner. Killer price too!!!!! I have made a few M8 videos too if you are interested?

What I found is that the FSB gets really hot. This leads me to think that if it were wrapped with an aluminum quad rail, that rail might absorb alot of heat and require you to wear gloves if you are the type that shoots in rapid succession (like in a carbine course?)

I personally went with the Magpul MOE handguards because they are light and the polymer does not retain heat. I had to modify them with a dremel to fit the larger gas tube but it only took 60 seconds to do.

I have heard report that after the initial break in period where the interfacing metal parts all find their place, many reported that carrier tilt and cam pin wear stopped. Me personally, I bought the POF roller cam pin for $20 (directly from POF) and love it. Cheap insurance even if you dont really need it?

Here is a short video I made about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcy6whOAwZ4

Black Rifle Forum
Thanks Mix, saw all your videos on the M8, they were very helpful

G22, 27, 21SF, 30SF, Springer XD45, Taurus PT1911, KelTec PF-9, Stag Arms models 3 and 8 AR-15s in 5.56, Mossberg 12Ga 590A1. Reloader; Dillon 550B

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
Old 01-04-2011, 19:36   #7
mixflip

Oh ...ok cool, Glad to be of help.
Old 01-04-2011, 20:01   #8
Mr. Gekko

Congrats!
Mr. Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 23:08   #9
Halojumper

Quote:
Congrats! I am a fellow M8 owner. Killer price too!!!!! I have made a few M8 review videos if you are interested?

What I found is that the FSB gets really hot. This leads me to think that if it were wrapped with an aluminum quad rail, that rail might absorb alot of heat and require you to wear gloves if you are the type that shoots in rapid succession (like in a carbine course?) I am sure aluminum quad rails will still work fine in the grand scheme of things unless you plan to slap it on a select fire lower? lol.

Black Rifle Forum
I didn't realize that was you. I just watched those the other day and they were very helpful.
Old 01-04-2011, 23:22   #10
Halojumper

Quote:

Black Rifle Forum
Did you have to modify your MOE's to fit the piston system?

ETA: Duh, I reread your post and saw that you had already answered the question.

Last edited by Halojumper; 01-04-2011 at 23:26..
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15   #11
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halojumper View Post
Did you have to modify your MOE's to fit the piston system?

ETA: Duh, I reread your post and saw that you had already answered the question.
Yes. here is the video you must have missed lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw32fQ5rzyU
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08   #12
Halojumper

Quote:
Yes. here is the video you must have missed lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw32fQ5rzyU
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 03-14-2011, 18:13   #13
Halojumper

Hey Mix, I finally got a chance to take mine out and shake it out today and I had an issued with the rear portion of the MOE popping out on the first shot of each set. It didn't go anywhere and worked fine, but I was wondering if you had seen anything like that. I did your mod, though I didn't do the rear portion as it looked like it was clearing fine. I wonder if the rod might be hitting it after all.
Old 03-14-2011, 19:05   #14
AFPD118
CLM Number 176
NRA Memeber

i ended up putting the DD Omega on mine

Black Rifle Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 19:33   #15
mixflip

Of all the rails I like that one because of the continuous rail across the top with no gap. Looks great!!! I just took mine out shooting again last weekend and tested some steel Wolf ammo through it. It ran it with only one hiccup then ran flawless all day. The Colt it went up against had a failure to extract and was out for the rest of the day! +1 for the Stag M8.
Old 03-14-2011, 19:47   #16
AFPD118
CLM Number 176
NRA Memeber

Hi Mix, any new videos?

Last edited by AFPD118; 03-14-2011 at 19:47..
Old 03-14-2011, 20:04   #17
TSAX
USAF Vet

Congrats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 21:22   #18
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPD118 View Post
Hi Mix, any new videos?
Yeah, I actually made a video of the Wolf steel ammo test in my Stag M8. Its up right now. Feel free to subscribe if you'd like to keep up on the vids.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-14-2011 at 21:23..
Old 03-15-2011, 20:45   #19
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Sweet rifle!!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58   #20
SigFTW

Very nice AR-15!
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote