SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2011, 16:05   #1
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

DVDR vs DVD-R vs DVD+R

I just opened a package of DVDR that I have owned for some time ... but no idea for how long. The first two in the package are not acceptabled as "recordable" by my MacBook, but my Windoze machine successfully formatted one of the two. A package of DVD+R is being used with no problem.

What's the difference between a DVDR, and DVD-R or DVD+R?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 17:05   #2
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

DVDR is usually the early version of DVD-R and they are the same. Some might not work in newer drives and they won't work in DVD+R only drives. DVDR, now called DVD-R is the original design. DVD-+R is a slightly newer design that used to record slightly faster, but today the speed difference wouldn't be noticed. Too slow of a disk may not work in newer drives and won't work in DVD+R only drives at all. Some drives work with both types. DVD players for TV's usually do better with DVD-R's. DVD-R's may still be most popular in America. In Europe the prices of blank DVD's and DVD writers didn't come down until after DVD+R came out and in Europe DVD+R is most popular. Apple Mac's go with whatever Sony supports as they have a long time relationship such as Firewire and using Sony drives in a lot of Macs. In Japan DVD-RAM is most popular due to having double capacity and the Japanese like to store a lot of photo's and video's and the prices aren't bad there. The double sided DVD's are still about five times more than single sided DVD's though.Your DVDR disks are just early DVD-R disks.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 20:16   #3
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I just opened a package of DVDR that I have owned for some time ... but no idea for how long. The first two in the package are not acceptabled as "recordable" by my MacBook, but my Windoze machine successfully formatted one of the two. A package of DVD+R is being used with no problem.
What's the difference between a DVDR, and DVD-R or DVD+R?
How old is your Macbook? DVD +R came out 5 years after DVD -R and many older systems have problems with one or the other.
What a mess. It aint like CD-R for sure.
Newer DVD writers can use both -R and +R, seldom RAM but it depends on age.

If you want to really know what's what:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 17:58   #4
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
How old is your Macbook?
A couple of years. It's possible, I truly have no idea, the DVDRs are even older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post

DVD +R came out 5 years after DVD -R and many older systems have problems with one or the other.
What a mess. It aint like CD-R for sure.

Newer DVD writers can use both -R and +R, seldom RAM but it depends on age.

If you want to really know what's what:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR
I contacted Memorex and was told they will replace the DVDRs if I can provide them with detail regarding the tech spechs of the DVD recorder and the DVDRs. It sounded to me as though the Memorex "help desk" person had never heard of DVDRs and was convinced the disks are either DVD-R or DVD+R and that I am too stupid to have been able to correctly read the label.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 01-06-2011 at 17:59..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:35   #5
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
It sounded to me as though the Memorex "help desk" person had never heard of DVDRs and was convinced the disks are either DVD-R or DVD+R and that I am too stupid to have been able to correctly read the label.
Well, obviously Memorex would never make a mistake!
Phone support, one more cost center stripped back.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote