Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2011, 20:26   #1
trlcavscout

Convert or buy?

I have had this "thing" for a 14.5 middy. I cant decide what I should do though, should I just buy the barrel and tube and convert my 6920 or should I trade/sell my upper and get a BCM? I dont like mixing and matching on good guns but I cant afford to build/buy a complete upper. I know the difference and the difference wont make a difference at the distances I shoot, but I will build a rifle length one of these days.
Old 01-06-2011, 20:29   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I'd sell the whole Colt and buy a whole BCM. Shouldn't lose any money. Barring that, sell the Colt upper and get a BCM upper.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 21:25   #3
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Shoot the Colt and save your pennies. Skip the Starbucks and pack a lunch and you'll be able to afford a whole upper in no time flat. Then repeat and you'll be able to put a lower under it in a month.

If your 6920 shoots well you'll always regret it if you sell.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 21:29   #4
trlcavscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
Shoot the Colt and save your pennies. Skip the Starbucks and pack a lunch and you'll be able to afford a whole upper in no time flat. Then repeat and you'll be able to put a lower under it in a month.

If your 6920 shoots well you'll always regret it if you sell.
I am not a Colt guy anyways. It does shoot good though. I have no need for 2 AR's and my next projects are shotguns for me and the wife.
Old 01-06-2011, 21:40   #5
GAFinch

The 14.5" has a welded flash suppressor. You have to remove the flash suppressor during installation, so, therefore, the barrel alone is an NFA item.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 22:27   #6
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
The 14.5" has a welded flash suppressor. You have to remove the flash suppressor during installation, so, therefore, the barrel alone is an NFA item.
Dude, . Please don't post retarded drivel like this when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 01-06-2011, 22:33   #7
TedG
Infidel USA

A BCM upper is $385 and it is a quality hunk of metal. Like it was said earlier, save some more coin and do it right. Get the BCG too.

Become an Organ Donor today:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 22:41   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
You can buy a entire tractor trailer full of 14" M4 barrels, perfectly legal. No NFA paperwork needed.

If you decide to use any of the barrels, then a tax stamp would be needed.

Old 01-07-2011, 00:01   #9
BBJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
You can buy a entire tractor trailer full of 14" M4 barrels, perfectly legal. No NFA paperwork needed.

If you decide to use any of the barrels, then a tax stamp would be needed.

Don't even need a tax stamp if a muzzle device of sufficient length is perma pinned.
Old 01-07-2011, 00:28   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
Don't even need a tax stamp if a muzzle device of sufficient length is perma pinned.

Tax stamp only needed if barrel used was still 14" length, on a rifle.

Last edited by Glockdude1; 01-07-2011 at 00:29..
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 00:32   #11
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:

Only if it was installed, in an upper, on a non SBR' lower. Even then, its not as clear cut as you make it sound.

The ATF made the rules murky for a reason.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:40   #12
thisaway

IMHO, you should keep your 6920 upper and just pinch pennies until you can afford the BCM middy. The 6920 may have more resale value if it is complete.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:58   #13
mjkeat

If you spend $8 a day eating lunch at a fast food joint brown bagging it can save you $160 in a month. In 4 months you'll have $640. That'll buy your BCM upper w/ some left over.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 22:25   #14
GAFinch

Quote:
Dude, . Please don't post retarded drivel like this when you have no idea what you're talking about.
Well, when I've thought about doing a 14.5" build a few months ago, both the BCM and Del-Ton websites said they were NFA items.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 23:16   #15
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Well, when I've thought about doing a 14.5" build a few months ago, both the BCM and Del-Ton websites said they were NFA items.
No, you should probably read a little closer. Could you show us where it states, as you say, that barrels are NFA items?

AFAICT Del-ton says nothing about NFA at all on the barrel pages, and on the upper pages they state, "SBR, M-16, or Pre Ban Pistol only!" Not taking into account the possibility of a perm'd FH.

BCM simply states, "NFA Rules Apply."

There's a rather significant difference between a "woman and child" and a "woman with child."

Old 01-08-2011, 08:22   #16
mjkeat

Quote:
No, you should probably read a little closer. Could you show us where it states, as you say, that barrels are NFA items?

AFAICT Del-ton says nothing about NFA at all on the barrel pages, and on the upper pages they state, "SBR, M-16, or Pre Ban Pistol only!" Not taking into account the possibility of a perm'd FH.

BCM simply states, "NFA Rules Apply."

There's a rather significant difference between a "woman and child" and a "woman with child."
That would imply that w/o a perm muzzle device the barrel would be considered a NFA item when installed.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22   #17
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

A AR barrel is never considered the NFA item. (Unless integrally suppressed, but we're not talking cans here) A barrel, when less than 16", and installed on a rifle lower, then makes the rifle subject to NFA rules. Saying that the barrel is the NFA item implys that the barrel itself is subject to regulation which is flat wrong.

When dealing with the alphabet soup crew semantics matter and not knowing exactly what is legal, and worse, perpetuating incorrect interpretations, can get your tit in the wringer real quick.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:06   #18
mjkeat

Quote:
A AR barrel is never considered the NFA item. (Unless integrally suppressed, but we're not talking cans here) A barrel, when less than 16", and installed on a rifle lower, then makes the rifle subject to NFA rules. Saying that the barrel is the NFA item implys that the barrel itself is subject to regulation which is flat wrong.

When dealing with the alphabet soup crew semantics matter and not knowing exactly what is legal, and worse, perpetuating incorrect interpretations, can get your tit in the wringer real quick.
It all boils down to the same thing once combined. No matter what part it is that makes it a NFA item, together it will get you in trouble.

If you want to try and pick apart others posts make sure yours dont have holes in them. You install a barrel onto the upper reciever not the lower.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19   #19
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

OK, when mated to an upper then installed on a lower. I figured most were smart enough to realize that an intermediate part was required. Should I mention the barrel nut also?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:35   #20
mjkeat

Quote:
OK, when mated to an upper then installed on a lower. I figured most were smart enough to realize that an intermediate part was required. Should I mention the barrel nut also?
I could use the same excuse on my post in response to your alphabet soup crew comment. Like you said you must be specific when dealing with the alphabet soup crew, right?

Nothing personal against you.

To many guys going over to TOS and getting infected and bringing it back here.