GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31   #1
De Angelo
Senior Member
 
De Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 168
S&W model 27-2 6"

Hi all getting myself a 1970's nickel model 27-2, 357mag with 6" barrel..


anything to look out for??? good or bad??



thanks


best regards
__________________
Big Dawg #1598
De Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 18:38   #2
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa
 
Zombie Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Old Colorado City
Posts: 19,935
Some pretty comprehensive reading here.


Congrats. Be safe, have fun.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 19:18   #3
Brucev
Senior Member
 
Brucev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Angelo View Post
Hi all getting myself a 1970's nickel model 27-2, 357mag with 6" barrel..


anything to look out for??? good or bad??



thanks


best regards
Cadillac of S&W revolvers. With target hammer and trigger, it works well for single action. With the standard type hammer and trigger, it easier to use in double-action. If the front sight is nickle plated, it may give you some problems sighting. Some flat black type paint carefully applied to the front sight blade will make it very easy to see/use. If it has the red ramp insert, it will be easy to use on targets, etc. Do not use Hoppe's or any similar type ammonia based cleaner on the nickle plating. It can cause damage. Get some ammo, grab your revolver and head for the range. Have a blast!
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 21:23   #4
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,443
The 27 is outstanding.

Here's my old 8" 27-2 in mint condition. Its a very accurate, smooth shooting 357.

The older S&W bluing was great.


Smith & Wesson Club

Smith & Wesson Club

Smith & Wesson Club

Smith & Wesson Club

Last edited by bac1023; 02-02-2011 at 21:25..
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35   #5
De Angelo
Senior Member
 
De Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 168
thanks guys,


what kind of bore cleaner do you suggest I use for cleaning?
__________________
Big Dawg #1598
De Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28   #6
De Angelo
Senior Member
 
De Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 168
Nice pics bac1023


here's some pics of mine...




Smith & Wesson Club


Smith & Wesson Club


Smith & Wesson Club


Smith & Wesson Club

Smith & Wesson Club

Smith & Wesson Club
__________________
Big Dawg #1598
De Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 21:28   #7
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,443
Very nice
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36   #8
De Angelo
Senior Member
 
De Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Very nice

Thanks sir..I'm having the original wood grips re-varnished so I can complete the original look
__________________
Big Dawg #1598
De Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 22:18   #9
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Angelo View Post
Thanks sir..I'm having the original wood grips re-varnished so I can complete the original look
Cool.

I never liked Hogue rubber grips on my revolvers.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46   #10
De Angelo
Senior Member
 
De Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Cadillac of S&W revolvers. With target hammer and trigger, it works well for single action. With the standard type hammer and trigger, it easier to use in double-action. If the front sight is nickle plated, it may give you some problems sighting. Some flat black type paint carefully applied to the front sight blade will make it very easy to see/use. If it has the red ramp insert, it will be easy to use on targets, etc. Do not use Hoppe's or any similar type ammonia based cleaner on the nickle plating. It can cause damage. Get some ammo, grab your revolver and head for the range. Have a blast!


thanks for the tip..good thing the rear site is black so I can see the front nickle finished site well
__________________
Big Dawg #1598
De Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54   #11
CharlestonG26
Senior Member
 
CharlestonG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Cadillac of S&W revolvers. With target hammer and trigger, it works well for single action. With the standard type hammer and trigger, it easier to use in double-action. If the front sight is nickle plated, it may give you some problems sighting. Some flat black type paint carefully applied to the front sight blade will make it very easy to see/use. If it has the red ramp insert, it will be easy to use on targets, etc. Do not use Hoppe's or any similar type ammonia based cleaner on the nickle plating. It can cause damage. Get some ammo, grab your revolver and head for the range. Have a blast!

+1...very good advice! BTW...I have a fondness for pre-lock S&W revolvers...and the model 27 is one of my favorites.
__________________
NRA Life Member

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by CharlestonG26; 02-06-2011 at 08:59..
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22   #12
De Angelo
Senior Member
 
De Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonG26 View Post
+1...very good advice! BTW...I have a fondness for pre-lock S&W revolvers...and the model 27 is one of my favorites.

The 27 is a great gun no complaints..What do you guy's suggest is a good cleaner/scrubber/ lubricant for nickel plated FA's


thanks
__________________
Big Dawg #1598
De Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,066
303 Members
763 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42