Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2011, 22:47   #1
Subhadar

cleanest 9mm ammo that wont erode baffles

I am waiting on my form 4 and am looking to stock up on a few thousand rounds of subsonic ammo. I will be shooting a 17 with a Lone Wolf threaded barrel and decided to go with the SWR Trident. I have heard that when using cans on pistols there can be some significant baffle erosion due to some factors that include the shorter barrel (as compared to a sub gun or 9mm AR etc..) and that ammo choice is particularly important. The erosion seems to be occuring on the second and third baffles I believe, I know the first baffle (blast baffle) is stainless and the others are aluminum.

I have heard that Winchester WinClean ammo is possibly a severe offender in this regard. I was leaning towards the Winchester Super-X Unleaded 147gr with the fully encapsulated bullet, or brass enclosed base as they call it, until I read somewhere that this is basically the same as WinClean. I am trying to stay away from anything that has lead exposed at the base of the bullet (ie Special K, and most all other 147gr offered by the major manufacturers) because I know that cleaning lead deposits out of a sealed can is next to impossible.

So what subsonic ammo is the best all around performer, and wont chew up my baffles? As long as it is subsonic, a few decibels either way is less important to me than making sure my can has a long, healthy life.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Don't just carry a weapon, train to become one.
Subhadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:12   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

I basically wouldn't worry about it. If your can sustains damage from erosion shooting factory ammunition, send it back to the manufacturer and tell them to fix it under warranty or provide a suppressor that works properly.

Cleaning lead out of a sealed suppressor is not impossible. There are two well known ways to do it.

If you are going to load your own ammo, I would suggest using something in the VV N3x0 class, e.g. 310 or 320. These powders are very clean when you use the right one for the burn rate desired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:28   #3
Subhadar

Thank you! I was obsessing over this when apparently I didn't need to be, like I tend to do with a great many things. Good to have someone with experience that is willing to take the time to help a class III rookie like myself.

Don't just carry a weapon, train to become one.
Subhadar is offline   Reply With Quote