Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14   #1
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Verizon Iphone...FAIL

Like anything Verizon does, they half-ass the first implementation to sucker everyone into the new product, then bring out the version that actually does what people want 4 months later.

1) Stupid phone is CDMA based on the 3G network instead of using the LTE 4G technology they've been hyping. No phone and internet at the same time and slower internet speeds = major FAIL

2) Pricing and features available haven't been released yet and it's only like 3-4 weeks til the product becomes available = big FAIL

3) 2 year contracts suck and of course if you want to upgrade 6 months down the road when the new version comes out that does everything the iphone is supposed to do, that's another new contract. FAIL!

This is just my rant...for now I'm sticking with my blackberry or I may buy a used droid from someone who is jumping on the iphone bandwagon too early. Anyone else thinking about the verizon iphone?
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18   #2
Cooks128

I'll stick with my Iphone with AT&T and my Verizon Blackberry for work...that is until my company moves to Verizon Iphones...which is in the works. When that happens...I'll be carrying two iphones.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21   #3
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks128 View Post
I'll stick with my Iphone with AT&T and my Verizon Blackberry for work...that is until my company moves to Verizon Iphones...which is in the works. When that happens...I'll be carrying two iphones.
Yea you can talk on the Verizon one, and browse on the AT&T one.

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41   #4
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Waiting for the Droid Bionic with a Dual core available in March .. will be an improvement over the existing I phone and I much preffer the android operating system and open sourcing of the apps
Old 01-12-2011, 10:54   #5
itstime

With android phones are pretty sweet in their own rights now and the ones coming out soon will be amazing. This iPhone they are bringing to the market asap and not waiting for a 4g one is majorly stupid.

I should edit that and say whoever buys one is. Really wait and get one that will actually work better. Verizons 3g isn't that fast at all.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:14   #6
BarrySDCA

plus who wants sloppy seconds? anyone on verizon who wanted an iphone is probably with ATT now. and there are much better smart phones available these days.
Old 01-12-2011, 13:21   #7
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Like anything Verizon does, they half-ass the first implementation to sucker everyone into the new product, then bring out the version that actually does what people want 4 months later.

1) Stupid phone is CDMA based on the 3G network instead of using the LTE 4G technology they've been hyping. No phone and internet at the same time and slower internet speeds = major FAIL

2) Pricing and features available haven't been released yet and it's only like 3-4 weeks til the product becomes available = big FAIL

3) 2 year contracts suck and of course if you want to upgrade 6 months down the road when the new version comes out that does everything the iphone is supposed to do, that's another new contract. FAIL!

This is just my rant...for now I'm sticking with my blackberry or I may buy a used droid from someone who is jumping on the iphone bandwagon too early. Anyone else thinking about the verizon iphone?
And, from what CNets says, you can't talk on the Verizon IPhone and surf the net at the same time.

I don't understand 3G on the IPhone after all the hyping Verizon has done about their 4G.
Old 01-12-2011, 17:24   #8
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post

1) LTE? You get that in what, 20 cities?
2) Pricing isn't going to be much different than AT&T.
3) I'll give you that, it's retarded to release now when iPhone 5 will probably come in june.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:39   #9
Wolfpack1

Apple has been working with Verizon and the 3G phone for a long time. The only reason they are releasing it, is to recoup some of the costs they incurred in the R&D process. They know people will buy an outdated phone at a premium price. That is pretty much how all of Apples products work... as I type this from my Mac Book.
Wolfpack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:52   #10
Rabbit994

I'll preface all this with "I'm on Sprint, have HTC Evo and think iPhone is Fisher Price SmartPhone"

First, Verizon LTE as currently deployed is data only. While Verizon announced some Android LTE SmartPhones, it's unknown if they will make calls on LTE or simply use it for data similar to Sprint method. In any case, you will have to have two radios, one CDMA, one LTE. Which leads me to point #2

Second, iPhone 4 CDMA is simply GSM radio replaced with CDMA. Doing 4G iPhone would have required two radios, one CDMA, one LTE. My guess is iPhone 4 doesn't have room. Everyone who has taken apart iPhone 4 has noted how "tight" it is in the phone. Also it's possible that iOS telephony stack isn't updated to support LTE.

Third, unable to use data while talking is known issue with CDMA system. It's been in place for a while and for most people is pretty minor. Power users notice it (I have) but most don't.

Finally, are you surprised Verizon is locking you to 2 year contract? They are going for early adapters and plan to gorge them as much as they can.

Last edited by Rabbit994; 01-12-2011 at 17:53..
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 19:13   #11
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Guys, it's business. You think VZW/Apple would be doing this if they didn't think there was a market?

They'll sell plenty of phones and that's that.

-Stooxie
Old 01-13-2011, 19:21   #12
TexanOutWest
I'll Take Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
Waiting for the Droid Bionic with a Dual core available in March .. will be an improvement over the existing I phone and I much preffer the android operating system and open sourcing of the apps
I second that emotion! Been drooling for a Bionic to replace my Droid "Classic".

Tex
Lone Star Glockers #423
Amphibious SeaBees I, Beach Combat Support
We Build, We Fight! One Target at a Time!
Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word - John Steinbeck
TexanOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 19:26   #13
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit994 View Post
Finally, are you surprised Verizon is locking you to 2 year contract? They are going for early adapters and plan to gorge them as much as they can.
What carrier subsidized phones can you get that don't require a 2 year contract?

DW
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 20:30   #14
hamster
NRA Life Member

Lets face it. The only reason Droid sold at all was because it was an alternative for the iPhone for those who could not get one. I love android, but the general market out there isn't made up of computer nerds like me.

iPhone brought smartphone technology to the mainstream and in doing so became a household name.

As for the Verizon CDMA version. It would not work for me because I travel extensively internationally, however the no phone/internet at same time is a complete non-issue for me. I've had AT&T iPhones since they first came out (also have an Android device unlocked for use in Europe). I can count on one hand when I've had to be chatting on the phone and browse on 3G at the same time. The only time I think this is an issue is when I'm using GPS for traffic updates while chatting.

Keep in mind, the phone can still browse Wifi while on a call, making this even less of an issue. While the iPhone may be a "Fail" with the über-nerds like myself, I think for the average verizon user still using a dumb-phone it will be a very temping upgrade.

Apple & Verizon will make a killing on these.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 21:23   #15
Ken B

I started getting the emails about 'it's coming' and getting on the list for an early one...
but then I saw on CNET about the 3G crap...
i'm up for renewal, and I'm just going to debate on which Droid to get...

kinda tired of the whole "Iphone Cult" sounding thing...

BHP club #0409 / 1911 club #
S&W club # 0409 / Black Rifle club #0409
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 21:54   #16
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
Ok here is the real info. The AT&T iPhone 3G or 4G will do voice and data at the same time. That means when you are on a cell call you can get Text or push messages at the same time and it will beep. The Verizon CDMA will do only one of these at a time which means if you are on a 20 minute phone call the 7 text messages you just got from your office and big friends they are stuck in que until you end your Phone call you won't get them. This is really how it works and why I have an AT&T iPhone and all my family has them. Go do the Verizon thing, that will only enable my iPhone and my family's to have more time to do our unlimited thing...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 21:57   #17
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
Also for you folks looking at 4G networks with your Smart Phones, that only works for DATA. Your phone calls on those dual mode phones will still route on the 3G or less Phone systems that have existed before 4G networks. There is no Voice Phone System on the 4G Networks.....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50   #18
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Lets face it. The only reason Droid sold at all was because it was an alternative for the iPhone for those who could not get one. I love android, but the general market out there isn't made up of computer nerds like me.

iPhone brought smartphone technology to the mainstream and in doing so became a household name.

As for the Verizon CDMA version. It would not work for me because I travel extensively internationally, however the no phone/internet at same time is a complete non-issue for me. I've had AT&T iPhones since they first came out (also have an Android device unlocked for use in Europe). I can count on one hand when I've had to be chatting on the phone and browse on 3G at the same time. The only time I think this is an issue is when I'm using GPS for traffic updates while chatting.

Keep in mind, the phone can still browse Wifi while on a call, making this even less of an issue. While the iPhone may be a "Fail" with the über-nerds like myself, I think for the average verizon user still using a dumb-phone it will be a very temping upgrade.

Apple & Verizon will make a killing on these.

-Stooxie
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50   #19
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Tried both. I've found nothing that equals or surpasses iphone.
Old 01-14-2011, 14:10   #20
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
This is the first I'm hearing of this. I didn't get to go to CES, had to work all week. Looks like a pretty impressive alternative though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver88 View Post
What carrier subsidized phones can you get that don't require a 2 year contract?

DW
You can get any of them without a contract, but you need to pay the "full MSRP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
I started getting the emails about 'it's coming' and getting on the list for an early one...
but then I saw on CNET about the 3G crap...
i'm up for renewal, and I'm just going to debate on which Droid to get...

kinda tired of the whole "Iphone Cult" sounding thing...
I think that Droid Bionic looks like a pretty viable option....and when that one comes out, all the existing droids are going to drop in price like a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4CNG View Post
Also for you folks looking at 4G networks with your Smart Phones, that only works for DATA. Your phone calls on those dual mode phones will still route on the 3G or less Phone systems that have existed before 4G networks. There is no Voice Phone System on the 4G Networks.....
Of course 4G is only for data. Why in the world would I care that my phone call is 4G or 3G or analog cellular? I don't, as long as the party on the other end can understand me clearly.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote