SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2010, 17:31   #26
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM165 View Post
I just used the saf-t-trainers (dummy rounds) in my 19 and it didn't feel right. You can feel the resistance when the firing pin strikes the flat primer area. When I used the snap cap in my 27 it felt like a normal dry fire. I don't know the brand of snap cap. A friend of mine just gave me a 3 or 4 rounds. They just say 40S&W with a *-*. dunno?

Anyway, is it safe to use the dummy rounds in my 19 or should I invest in some real "snap caps"?

Thanks.
It doesn't matter. The material that the saf-t-trainers are made of is still designed to absorb the firing pin strike. The only reason snap caps are different is because they are designed to "snap" when struck. The important thing is that there is some form of support on the breachface.
Old 09-29-2010, 17:38   #27
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
Competition shooters have been dry firing the hell out of Glocks for over a decade. I just find it odd that Glock has not issued a caution or recommendation until now about excessive dry firing.
True...

People smoked tobacco for centuries before they were told it could cause cancer.
Old 09-29-2010, 17:44   #28
COM165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
It doesn't matter. The material that the saf-t-trainers are made of is still designed to absorb the firing pin strike. The only reason snap caps are different is because they are designed to "snap" when struck. The important thing is that there is some form of support on the breachface.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Fine, write to Glock and request it. It's no fuzz off my peach if you choose not to accept my information. What matters to me is that I indeed believe my reliable source.

I should know better by now that any posting of reliable information results in a brawl, so I will not trouble you with any more informational posts.
Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer.
Old 09-29-2010, 17:45   #29
Cody Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullotto69 View Post
Now did that come from GLOCK, or did it come from some random Glock armorer? Because "Josh " in customer service at GLOCK in Smyrna said to dry fire as much as you want and if you feel uncomfortable about it to use the snap cap to ease your mind?
True. I also checked with Glock on this and got the same answer. Besides, I use a titanium striker. How will that get cracked?
Old 09-29-2010, 17:47   #30
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
Competition shooters have been dry firing the hell out of Glocks for over a decade. I just find it odd that Glock has not issued a caution or recommendation until now about excessive dry firing.
They have. Butch posted the same information 6 months ago and received the same reception -- "If it's not how I do it, it has to be wrong. I remove the copper anti-seize before shooting, I dry-fire without snap-caps, and I lube with engine oil. And I'm gonna keep on doin' it 'til they explode in my face. Nobody is gonna tell me I have to . . ."
Old 09-29-2010, 17:51   #31
JC2317

Danny,
I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
Thank You
Old 09-29-2010, 17:51   #32
freetobejbp

Quote:
I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.
The Glock Pros do it they told me so!
Old 09-29-2010, 17:58   #33
TxGun

It seems to me that this is the expected precautionary advice from Glock. In other words, in their collective opinion, it's probably better not to do it (dry fire without snap caps), even though their pistols can obviously handle it...in fact, thousands of repetitions of it. As with any mechanical device, there is additional wear involved. It may be minute...but it's there. Glock is advising that their position is you minimize it even further with snap caps.

A least that's my take. No reason to go off the tracks over it, and personally, I appreciate Danny passing it on.
Old 09-29-2010, 18:25   #34
fastbolt

DannyR deserves thanks for taking the time to post this sort of info.

I'm unsurprised about this, FWIW.

I've never cared for the idea of excessive dry-fire when striker-fired pistols are involved. It's one thing to have a gently tapered firing pin being pushed through a breech face hole, but I've always suspected that it was another thing to have the mass of a striker-type firing pin being hammered against the rear of the slide's breech face. The mass of the striker-type firing pin's head would seem to act as a small hammer being beaten against the inner surface of the breech face.

I'd prefer some support on the front of the breech face when doing a lot of dry-fire, myself.

Also, it's not uncommon for firearm manufacturers to continually evaluate their products and make recommendations involving use. It's good business. Another example would be Glock's providing armorers with the Wearable Parts Replacement Schedule for .40's being used by LE. It provides a recommendation for the replacement of several parts in their .40 models based upon round count intervals, as well continuing to inspect and evaluate for potential parts replacement at an earlier point while in-service.

Thanks DannyR.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
Old 09-29-2010, 18:52   #35
Old Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM165 View Post
Thank you.

Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer.
+1
Old 09-29-2010, 19:09   #36
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Fine, write to Glock and request it. It's no fuzz off my peach if you choose not to accept my information. What matters to me is that I indeed believe my reliable source.

I should know better by now that any posting of reliable information results in a brawl, so I will not trouble you with any more informational posts.
DannyR...FWIW....I appreciate your comments/posts. Don't let the those who would argue with Jesus discourage you.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
Old 09-29-2010, 19:13   #37
platoonDaddy

Read on other forums that the Gen 4's have MIM extractor and firing pin
Old 09-29-2010, 19:22   #38
cmcinc

Right or wrong...I still use them.
Old 09-29-2010, 20:06   #39
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobejbp View Post
The Glock Pros do it they told me so! They have forgot more than you know.
Why so rude?
Old 09-29-2010, 20:25   #40
BWT

I believe in snap caps, because I don't want Murphy telling me I should have when the SHTF. Thanks OP for the post.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:17   #41
remat

Quote:

Geez, I really didn't expect everyone to get so mad.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:22   #42
remat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
They aren't made in the US. Only the lower receivers are.
Rough crowd. In the U.S. that is considered the pistol. Springfield did less than that for years and they were still legally "made in the U.S."

My posts were never intended to be antagonistic, but seem to be coming across that way. This is my last post in this thread.

Have a nice evening everyone.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:29   #43
Craigaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2317 View Post
Danny,
I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
Thank You
Good enough for me too. Danny frequently provides us with great information, I see no reason to view this any differently.

Danny - Thanks for your efforts to keep us in the loop.

Old 09-29-2010, 21:43   #44
Blunt object

Quote:
I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
Actually, this is the kind of information from a seasoned Glock guy that reinforces my belief that dry firing does not harm Glocks.
It mirrors my experience, corporate pronouncements notwithstanding.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:46   #45
Glockbuster

It's definitely good info to know. And now off to buy a snap cap. That said, I wont loose sleep for all the times I've dry fired nor will I care if I do it again occasionally.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:51   #46
weisse52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcinc View Post
Right or wrong...I still use them.
And I will as well.

I appreciate reliable information.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:59   #47
mboylan

Old 09-29-2010, 22:04   #48
RYNOCG201

This-
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.
This-
Quote:
Danny,
Thank You
And This-
Quote:
Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer
Thanks DannyR
Old 09-29-2010, 22:06   #49
Armed-N-Ready
Glock Clone

Snap caps are a must.

God Bless America!
Old 09-29-2010, 22:22   #50
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

For 20 years I have shot Glocks extensively and dry fired W/O snap caps. No problems occurred. When talking to the techs at Glock, Inc on many occasions I always ask the dry firing/snap caps question and was always told to fire away-no snap caps needed. Today I was talking with Fred at Glock, Inc on another matter and again I asked the snap cap question. Fred stated that Glock, Inc now recommends snap caps be used for any dry firing beyound a few trigger pulls. Bill.