SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2010, 21:17   #41
remat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Fine, write to Glock and request it. It's no fuzz off my peach if you choose not to accept my information. What matters to me is that I indeed believe my reliable source.

I should know better by now that any posting of reliable information results in a brawl, so I will not trouble you with any more informational posts.
Geez, I really didn't expect everyone to get so mad.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:22   #42
remat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
They aren't made in the US. Only the lower receivers are.
Rough crowd. In the U.S. that is considered the pistol. Springfield did less than that for years and they were still legally "made in the U.S."

My posts were never intended to be antagonistic, but seem to be coming across that way. This is my last post in this thread.

Have a nice evening everyone.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:29   #43
Craigaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2317 View Post
Danny,
I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
Thank You
Good enough for me too. Danny frequently provides us with great information, I see no reason to view this any differently.

Danny - Thanks for your efforts to keep us in the loop.

Old 09-29-2010, 21:43   #44
Blunt object

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
Actually, this is the kind of information from a seasoned Glock guy that reinforces my belief that dry firing does not harm Glocks.
It mirrors my experience, corporate pronouncements notwithstanding.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:46   #45
Glockbuster

It's definitely good info to know. And now off to buy a snap cap. That said, I wont loose sleep for all the times I've dry fired nor will I care if I do it again occasionally.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:51   #46
weisse52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcinc View Post
Right or wrong...I still use them.
And I will as well.

I appreciate reliable information.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:59   #47
mboylan

Old 09-29-2010, 22:04   #48
RYNOCG201

This-
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.
This-
Quote:
Danny,
I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
Thank You
And This-
Quote:
Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer
Thanks DannyR
Old 09-29-2010, 22:06   #49
Armed-N-Ready
Glock Clone

Snap caps are a must.

God Bless America!
Old 09-29-2010, 22:22   #50
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

For 20 years I have shot Glocks extensively and dry fired W/O snap caps. No problems occurred. When talking to the techs at Glock, Inc on many occasions I always ask the dry firing/snap caps question and was always told to fire away-no snap caps needed. Today I was talking with Fred at Glock, Inc on another matter and again I asked the snap cap question. Fred stated that Glock, Inc now recommends snap caps be used for any dry firing beyound a few trigger pulls. Bill.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:34   #51
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by remat View Post
Rough crowd. In the U.S. that is considered the pistol. ...
No it isn't. In most cases, the lower receiver is what is considered the firearm for the purposes of transferability according to the ATF. That doesn't automatically make it the pistol.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:37   #52
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

As far as I'm concerned,Coach and Butch are the Glock gurus around here.It dismays me that some would be so rude ta Coach for the info he went out of his way ta provide for those of us on GT.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:41   #53
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Moving parts and mechanical wear. Striker vs. breechface. Metal to metal contact can only last for so long... It's ineviteable, not impossible.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:43   #54
chasbo00

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Retired Sarge View Post
For 20 years I have shot Glocks extensively and dry fired W/O snap caps. No problems occurred. When talking to the techs at Glock, Inc on many occasions I always ask the dry firing/snap caps question and was always told to fire away-no snap caps needed. Today I was talking with Fred at Glock, Inc on another matter and again I asked the snap cap question. Fred stated that Glock, Inc now recommends snap caps be used for any dry firing beyound a few trigger pulls. Bill.
Makes one wonder what has changed doesn't it. I don't doubt the OP's assertion that using snap caps is now the official Glock recommendation. But I would like to know why the change -- is there something different about the Gen 4 models? Some other reason?
Old 09-29-2010, 22:44   #55
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
No it isn't. In most cases, the lower receiver is what is considered the firearm for the purposes of transferability according to the ATF. That doesn't automatically make it the pistol.
Yeah, see the difference in buying a slide vs. buying a frame... Slides don't need an FFL.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-29-2010, 23:11   #56
glockgt

Thanks for the info Danny,

regards
H&K P30
Maverick 88
Old 09-30-2010, 00:10   #57
fastbolt

You know, there are probably any number of Glock armorers who don't post some things in the various internet firearms enthusiast forums, GT included, because of how some folks seem to either take such things personally, or just seem inclined to argue. (Myself included among those armorers who refrain from posting a number of things.)

Like most other Glock armorers, I've had occasion to call back and discuss some problems I've come across with the techs at Glock (GA), and I've been told any number of things which are contrary to what a lot of "hobbyists" & "fervent enthusiasts" sometimes like to espouse as if they were facts. Sometimes I'll contribute a new recommendation of fact I've learned, and sometimes I'll just pass because of the roar of bickering and argument. (Sometimes I'll PM someone and offer some insight or relate an experience regarding something they've asked, including an occasional new update received from Glock techs.)

Fortunately for me, there are a handful of more experienced Glock armorers who have the patience to wade among the static and try to help correct some of the info freely dispensed by the misinformed. I've only been a Glock armorer for 10 years and have more time with other platforms, so it's not like my presence or thoughts are likely missed.

For every thread in which I do post, there are at least a dozen thread topics in which I won't post (usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

It might be prudent and polite to listen to those experienced Glock armorers who take the time to try and pass along something which they think might be beneficial for Glock owners. It's not like it's benefiting them, you know.

As usual, just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore at your leisure.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17   #58
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Retired Sarge View Post
Like limp wristing, the lack of use of snap caps is a convenient excuse for some otherwise unexplained problem. It might be that they hava actually discovered that the slight damage eventually caused by dry firing can eventually cause a problem or it might just be a change of personel where some critical individual has come into Glock with a 1911 background!

English
Old 09-30-2010, 02:24   #59
English

DannyR,
You are a highly respected individual within the GT community. If only you had told us earlier that you use .45GAP for both competition and carry it might have stopped or reduced many of the anti .45GAP threads.

English
Old 09-30-2010, 02:38   #60
Happy Hunting

Quote:
...where some critical individual has come into Glock with a 1911 background!
even that is debated.