SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2010, 22:34   #51
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by remat View Post
Rough crowd. In the U.S. that is considered the pistol. ...
No it isn't. In most cases, the lower receiver is what is considered the firearm for the purposes of transferability according to the ATF. That doesn't automatically make it the pistol.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:37   #52
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

As far as I'm concerned,Coach and Butch are the Glock gurus around here.It dismays me that some would be so rude ta Coach for the info he went out of his way ta provide for those of us on GT.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:41   #53
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Moving parts and mechanical wear. Striker vs. breechface. Metal to metal contact can only last for so long... It's ineviteable, not impossible.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:43   #54
chasbo00

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Retired Sarge View Post
For 20 years I have shot Glocks extensively and dry fired W/O snap caps. No problems occurred. When talking to the techs at Glock, Inc on many occasions I always ask the dry firing/snap caps question and was always told to fire away-no snap caps needed. Today I was talking with Fred at Glock, Inc on another matter and again I asked the snap cap question. Fred stated that Glock, Inc now recommends snap caps be used for any dry firing beyound a few trigger pulls. Bill.
Makes one wonder what has changed doesn't it. I don't doubt the OP's assertion that using snap caps is now the official Glock recommendation. But I would like to know why the change -- is there something different about the Gen 4 models? Some other reason?
Old 09-29-2010, 22:44   #55
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
No it isn't. In most cases, the lower receiver is what is considered the firearm for the purposes of transferability according to the ATF. That doesn't automatically make it the pistol.
Yeah, see the difference in buying a slide vs. buying a frame... Slides don't need an FFL.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Old 09-29-2010, 23:11   #56
glockgt

Thanks for the info Danny,

regards
H&K P30
Maverick 88
Old 09-30-2010, 00:10   #57
fastbolt

You know, there are probably any number of Glock armorers who don't post some things in the various internet firearms enthusiast forums, GT included, because of how some folks seem to either take such things personally, or just seem inclined to argue. (Myself included among those armorers who refrain from posting a number of things.)

Like most other Glock armorers, I've had occasion to call back and discuss some problems I've come across with the techs at Glock (GA), and I've been told any number of things which are contrary to what a lot of "hobbyists" & "fervent enthusiasts" sometimes like to espouse as if they were facts. Sometimes I'll contribute a new recommendation of fact I've learned, and sometimes I'll just pass because of the roar of bickering and argument. (Sometimes I'll PM someone and offer some insight or relate an experience regarding something they've asked, including an occasional new update received from Glock techs.)

Fortunately for me, there are a handful of more experienced Glock armorers who have the patience to wade among the static and try to help correct some of the info freely dispensed by the misinformed. I've only been a Glock armorer for 10 years and have more time with other platforms, so it's not like my presence or thoughts are likely missed.

For every thread in which I do post, there are at least a dozen thread topics in which I won't post (usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

It might be prudent and polite to listen to those experienced Glock armorers who take the time to try and pass along something which they think might be beneficial for Glock owners. It's not like it's benefiting them, you know.

As usual, just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore at your leisure.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17   #58
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Retired Sarge View Post
For 20 years I have shot Glocks extensively and dry fired W/O snap caps. No problems occurred. When talking to the techs at Glock, Inc on many occasions I always ask the dry firing/snap caps question and was always told to fire away-no snap caps needed. Today I was talking with Fred at Glock, Inc on another matter and again I asked the snap cap question. Fred stated that Glock, Inc now recommends snap caps be used for any dry firing beyound a few trigger pulls. Bill.
Like limp wristing, the lack of use of snap caps is a convenient excuse for some otherwise unexplained problem. It might be that they hava actually discovered that the slight damage eventually caused by dry firing can eventually cause a problem or it might just be a change of personel where some critical individual has come into Glock with a 1911 background!

English
Old 09-30-2010, 02:24   #59
English

DannyR,
You are a highly respected individual within the GT community. If only you had told us earlier that you use .45GAP for both competition and carry it might have stopped or reduced many of the anti .45GAP threads.

English
Old 09-30-2010, 02:38   #60
Happy Hunting

Quote:
...where some critical individual has come into Glock with a 1911 background!
even that is debated.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:16   #61
platoonDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post

Competition shooters have been dry firing the hell out of Glocks for over a decade. I just find it odd that Glock has not issued a caution or recommendation until now about excessive dry firing.
One of the tech support guys working the phone lines at Glock is on medevil crusade against dry-firing. In his prior work experience he was in retail selling weapons and gained this bias opinion. I specifically asked him, why the latest Gen 4 manual doesn't state in in red. When pushed further he stated he has been after them to include that statement in the Armour & owners manual.

It is my personal opinion the OP ended up talking to this medevil crusader.

For those of you on the fence, call tech support:

As previously stated the Gen 4 has MIM: extractor & firing pin. The impact of dry-firing with MIM could certainly damage them. When you clean your weapon, inspect them from time to time.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:37   #62
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."
+1 on that
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29   #63
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
What is "MIM" in reference to in the Gen 4 23?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57   #64
Thunderbolt56

Dammitall! I knew I should have exercised that snap-cap stock option last week.

I bet it splits by this time next week.

My local range http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32   #65
platoonDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post

MIM is Metal Injection Molding and the two leading industries using MIM parts are the firearms & health industry.
http://www.gknsintermetals.com/technology/mim.htm

On another forum a VERY well respected Armour stated that all Gen 4's specifically the extractor and believe he said the firing pin are MIM.

Talking about MIM, my 870 extractor was MIM until I changed it out with a steel extractor from Brownells.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42   #66
COM165

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
You know, there are probably any number of Glock armorers who don't post some things in the various internet firearms enthusiast forums, GT included, because of how some folks seem to either take such things either personally, or just seem inclined to argue. (Myself included.)

Like most other Glock armorers, I've had occasion to call back and discuss some problems I've come across with the techs at Glock (GA), and I've been told any number of things which are contrary to what a lot of "hobbyists" & "fervent enthusiasts" sometimes like to espouse as if they were facts. Sometimes I'll contribute a new recommendation of fact I've learned, and sometimes I'll just pass because of the roar of bickering and argument. (Sometimes I'll PM someone and offer some insight relate an experience regarding something they've asked, including an occasional new update received from Glock techs.)

Fortunately for me, there are a handful of more experienced Glock armorers who have the patience to wade among the static and try to help correct some of the info freely dispensed by the misinformed. I've only been a Glock armorer for 10 years and have more time with other platforms, so it's not like my presence or thoughts are likely missed.

For every thread in which I do post, there are at least a dozen thread topics in which I won't post (usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

It might be prudent and polite to listen to those experienced Glock armorers who take the time to try and pass along something which they think might be beneficial for Glock owners. It's not like it's benefiting them, you know.

Excellent post, sir. I agree with you 100%.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42   #67
SawgrassRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
You know, there are probably any number of Glock armorers who don't post some things in the various internet firearms enthusiast forums, GT included, because of how some folks seem to either take such things either personally, or just seem inclined to argue. (Myself included.)

Like most other Glock armorers, I've had occasion to call back and discuss some problems I've come across with the techs at Glock (GA), and I've been told any number of things which are contrary to what a lot of "hobbyists" & "fervent enthusiasts" sometimes like to espouse as if they were facts. Sometimes I'll contribute a new recommendation of fact I've learned, and sometimes I'll just pass because of the roar of bickering and argument. (Sometimes I'll PM someone and offer some insight relate an experience regarding something they've asked, including an occasional new update received from Glock techs.)

^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Fastbolt, clear out your inbox, I need to send you a PM!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06   #68
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Danny posted what the "official" recomendation is from Glock w.r.t. dry firing. That should be undebated as this same information has been, and is easy to confirm.

However, Danny did not say why, and neither has Glock. Until we know why, 90% of what has been posted on this thread is worthless bickering. If this can get back to a reasonable discussion instead of personal attacks, I'll leave it open.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09   #69
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post
Metal Injection Molding

oops, too late
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30   #70
tinman517

I do not quite understand what all the debating is all about. This topic has been discussed across many different platforms. Everyone has a position on this topic. You either change your position or stay put. What is there to debate?

Personally, I will not risk any potential damage to any of my gun, if I have control over it. Others may decide otherwise, which is find.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56   #71
Snarlingiron

Quote:
(usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

Man, I am so happy to know I am not the only one that does this. While I am pretty new on this forum I have been on several others for a number of years. I am guessing that only about 25% of the posts that I write actually get posted. Usually, I review it just before hitting the "Submit Reply" button and go, "Nah, not worth the grief I'm gonna get." and hit the back button on the browser and move on to the next topic.

I have learned to post what I know or think is correct and let it go at that. Folks can take or leave it as they wish.

Good post, fastbolt. It is hard for me to understand why folks get their knickers in a twist over the fact that everyone on the planet doesn't see everything exactly the same way they do.

Certifiied Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21   #72
Duck of Death

Thanks for the info, I've never dry fired my Glocks, always figured metal crashing into metal is not good.

In fact I don't dry fire any gun, don't think it does much good. I already know how to pull a trigger, I want live fire to feel and manage recoil.

I think, therefore I am, I think?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:26   #73
KAK

If you break a striker buy a new one. I dry fire all the time, no problems here.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28   #74
KAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
Thanks for the info, I've never dry fired my Glocks, always figured metal crashing into metal is not good.

In fact I don't dry fire any gun, don't think it does much good. I already know how to pull a trigger, I want live fire to feel and manage recoil.
Metal crashes into metal every time you fire.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53   #75
poodleplumber

My wife and I are taking a Spanish class at night at a local college. One of our classmates is a native Spanish speaker, raised in southern Texas my Mexican parents. She is taking the class as an easy A elective (her other classes are some difficult math classes). My wife and I have befriended her and soak up all the knowledge we can from this sweet, charming, generous lady. Two of our gringo classmates are willing to argue with her about pronunciation of words in her native tongue.

Thank you, Danny. Your knowledge and advice is welcomed by many.