SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:16   #61
platoonDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post

Competition shooters have been dry firing the hell out of Glocks for over a decade. I just find it odd that Glock has not issued a caution or recommendation until now about excessive dry firing.
One of the tech support guys working the phone lines at Glock is on medevil crusade against dry-firing. In his prior work experience he was in retail selling weapons and gained this bias opinion. I specifically asked him, why the latest Gen 4 manual doesn't state in in red. When pushed further he stated he has been after them to include that statement in the Armour & owners manual.

It is my personal opinion the OP ended up talking to this medevil crusader.

For those of you on the fence, call tech support:

As previously stated the Gen 4 has MIM: extractor & firing pin. The impact of dry-firing with MIM could certainly damage them. When you clean your weapon, inspect them from time to time.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:37   #62
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."
+1 on that
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29   #63
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
What is "MIM" in reference to in the Gen 4 23?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57   #64
Thunderbolt56

Dammitall! I knew I should have exercised that snap-cap stock option last week.

I bet it splits by this time next week.

My local range
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:32   #65
platoonDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post

MIM is Metal Injection Molding and the two leading industries using MIM parts are the firearms & health industry.
http://www.gknsintermetals.com/technology/mim.htm

On another forum a VERY well respected Armour stated that all Gen 4's specifically the extractor and believe he said the firing pin are MIM.

Talking about MIM, my 870 extractor was MIM until I changed it out with a steel extractor from Brownells.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42   #66
COM165

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
You know, there are probably any number of Glock armorers who don't post some things in the various internet firearms enthusiast forums, GT included, because of how some folks seem to either take such things either personally, or just seem inclined to argue. (Myself included.)

Like most other Glock armorers, I've had occasion to call back and discuss some problems I've come across with the techs at Glock (GA), and I've been told any number of things which are contrary to what a lot of "hobbyists" & "fervent enthusiasts" sometimes like to espouse as if they were facts. Sometimes I'll contribute a new recommendation of fact I've learned, and sometimes I'll just pass because of the roar of bickering and argument. (Sometimes I'll PM someone and offer some insight relate an experience regarding something they've asked, including an occasional new update received from Glock techs.)

Fortunately for me, there are a handful of more experienced Glock armorers who have the patience to wade among the static and try to help correct some of the info freely dispensed by the misinformed. I've only been a Glock armorer for 10 years and have more time with other platforms, so it's not like my presence or thoughts are likely missed.

For every thread in which I do post, there are at least a dozen thread topics in which I won't post (usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

It might be prudent and polite to listen to those experienced Glock armorers who take the time to try and pass along something which they think might be beneficial for Glock owners. It's not like it's benefiting them, you know.

As usual, just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore at your leisure.
Excellent post, sir. I agree with you 100%.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42   #67
SawgrassRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
You know, there are probably any number of Glock armorers who don't post some things in the various internet firearms enthusiast forums, GT included, because of how some folks seem to either take such things either personally, or just seem inclined to argue. (Myself included.)

Like most other Glock armorers, I've had occasion to call back and discuss some problems I've come across with the techs at Glock (GA), and I've been told any number of things which are contrary to what a lot of "hobbyists" & "fervent enthusiasts" sometimes like to espouse as if they were facts. Sometimes I'll contribute a new recommendation of fact I've learned, and sometimes I'll just pass because of the roar of bickering and argument. (Sometimes I'll PM someone and offer some insight relate an experience regarding something they've asked, including an occasional new update received from Glock techs.)

Fortunately for me, there are a handful of more experienced Glock armorers who have the patience to wade among the static and try to help correct some of the info freely dispensed by the misinformed. I've only been a Glock armorer for 10 years and have more time with other platforms, so it's not like my presence or thoughts are likely missed.

For every thread in which I do post, there are at least a dozen thread topics in which I won't post (usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

It might be prudent and polite to listen to those experienced Glock armorers who take the time to try and pass along something which they think might be beneficial for Glock owners. It's not like it's benefiting them, you know.

As usual, just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore at your leisure.
^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Fastbolt, clear out your inbox, I need to send you a PM!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06   #68
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Danny posted what the "official" recomendation is from Glock w.r.t. dry firing. That should be undebated as this same information has been, and is easy to confirm.

However, Danny did not say why, and neither has Glock. Until we know why, 90% of what has been posted on this thread is worthless bickering. If this can get back to a reasonable discussion instead of personal attacks, I'll leave it open.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09   #69
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post
Metal Injection Molding

oops, too late
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30   #70
tinman517

I do not quite understand what all the debating is all about. This topic has been discussed across many different platforms. Everyone has a position on this topic. You either change your position or stay put. What is there to debate?

Personally, I will not risk any potential damage to any of my gun, if I have control over it. Others may decide otherwise, which is find.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56   #71
Snarlingiron

Quote:
(usually after I wrote a response and then decided to hell with it and didn't post it) because of the nature and tone of many posters (and even more in which I won't post more than once, if the thread is devolving).

Man, I am so happy to know I am not the only one that does this. While I am pretty new on this forum I have been on several others for a number of years. I am guessing that only about 25% of the posts that I write actually get posted. Usually, I review it just before hitting the "Submit Reply" button and go, "Nah, not worth the grief I'm gonna get." and hit the back button on the browser and move on to the next topic.

I have learned to post what I know or think is correct and let it go at that. Folks can take or leave it as they wish.

Good post, fastbolt. It is hard for me to understand why folks get their knickers in a twist over the fact that everyone on the planet doesn't see everything exactly the same way they do.

Certifiied Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21   #72
Duck of Death

Thanks for the info, I've never dry fired my Glocks, always figured metal crashing into metal is not good.

In fact I don't dry fire any gun, don't think it does much good. I already know how to pull a trigger, I want live fire to feel and manage recoil.

I think, therefore I am, I think?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:26   #73
KAK

If you break a striker buy a new one. I dry fire all the time, no problems here.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28   #74
KAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
Thanks for the info, I've never dry fired my Glocks, always figured metal crashing into metal is not good.

In fact I don't dry fire any gun, don't think it does much good. I already know how to pull a trigger, I want live fire to feel and manage recoil.
Metal crashes into metal every time you fire.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53   #75
poodleplumber

My wife and I are taking a Spanish class at night at a local college. One of our classmates is a native Spanish speaker, raised in southern Texas my Mexican parents. She is taking the class as an easy A elective (her other classes are some difficult math classes). My wife and I have befriended her and soak up all the knowledge we can from this sweet, charming, generous lady. Two of our gringo classmates are willing to argue with her about pronunciation of words in her native tongue.

Thank you, Danny. Your knowledge and advice is welcomed by many.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29   #76
speicher

Quote:
Originally Posted by remat View Post
But who at Glock said it?
I have been told that no Glocks are made in the U.S. by Glock Inc, in Smyrna too.

I want to see it in writing on official GLOCK letterhead. Unlike previous posters I would also accept word-of-mouth from Gaston Glock also.
What confuses me, is knowing that we are now getting receivers in the 17,22,31 models being manufactured in Georgia and distributed in the U.S.
This of coarse is easily identified by the side of the receiver saying "Glock Inc. Smyrna GA." no "Made in Austria" on the receivers with those models anymore.

But then have a Glock tech in Smyrna state that anything manufactured here in Georgia is for export only, not for the U.S. market??? It seems to be a direct contradiction.

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35   #77
RAH
Keep The Change

This isn't the first time that Glock provides contradictory information. I was told more than once by people in their tech department that it's fine to dry fire, but I can see why that advice would change. Glock probably wants to protect themselves from people who dry fire excessively, cause unintentional damage, and then expect Glock to repair the damage for free. By warning against dry firing Glock is engaging in CYA.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:37   #78
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawgrassRaven View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Fastbolt, clear out your inbox, I need to send you a PM!

I deleted a couple to make room. You can also use my listed email address if you wish.

fb
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
Old 09-30-2010, 10:37   #79
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK View Post
If you break a striker buy a new one. I dry fire all the time, no problems here.
But why increase the chances of your striker breaking in the first place? What if it breaks when you need it to defend yourself?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:38   #80
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK View Post
Metal crashes into metal every time you fire.
If you are referring to the striker the majority of that impact is cushioned by the primer, which gives as it is struck.