GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2010, 23:50   #101
DannyR

I accept the written advice I receive from the Warranty Service Department of Glock, Inc., Smyrna, GA as good, sound advice. I have admitted to my excessive dry firing in the past. My "A-Zoom" snap caps should arrive today, and I will use them in the future. I will also present my 1996 G19 with a brand new recoil spring assembly after round #75,000 this month. The pistol should outlast me.

One should always dry fire a Glock before field stripping and before putting it away (unloaded).
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:58   #102
556A2

One of the things I liked switching to the Glock platform was you could dry-fire endlessly without need for a snap-cap.

This doesn't make me a happy camper.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47   #103
in_this_city
Glocktoberfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.
A few hundred a year is fine, but for me, I dry fire a few hundred times a week. I always use a snap cap cause Id rather be safe than sorry.

and thank you DannyR for your informative posts. They are much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:57   #104
captdreifus
aSun666

Here is my question: How many times can you dryfire on the same snap cap? Mine has taken a beating and I am not sure if its cushioning the fp anymore..

thanks.

capt
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24   #105
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodleplumber View Post
My wife and I are taking a Spanish class at night at a local college. One of our classmates is a native Spanish speaker, raised in southern Texas my Mexican parents. She is taking the class as an easy A elective (her other classes are some difficult math classes). My wife and I have befriended her and soak up all the knowledge we can from this sweet, charming, generous lady. Two of our gringo classmates are willing to argue with her about pronunciation of words in her native tongue.
Excellent analogy for this thread (and likely a few others ).

Coach,

I personally request that you continue to post as you have been with updated, relevant Glock information as you deem fit. It is MUCH appreciated by me, as well as many MANY other members on this board. Those that don't are the same individuals that would have you believe they invented the internet and coat hangers .
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 10-01-2010, 06:50   #106
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM165 View Post
I have a few snap caps for my .40 that have a small recess where the pin will strike. But for my 9mm I have a bag of SAF-T-TRAINERS that are flat in the back (no recess for pin to strike). They are blaze orange and made by a co. called Precision Gun Specialties Inc. I had used them for malfunction drills. Are these considered "snap caps" and is it safe to use them in my 19?
I didn't have time to read all 5 pages of this thread, but if anyone is still wondering about snap caps vs dummy rounds, go to the bottom of this article: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=4

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23   #107
greyeyezz

Occasional dry firing is probably fine, excessive like thousands of times a week is maybe causing issues. Maybe Glock is getting tired of fixing damaged breech faces. I know for a fact excessive dry firing of a Sig will damage the breech block pin, I've seen it personally.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55   #108
RAH
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I accept the written advice I receive from the Warranty Service Department of Glock, Inc., Smyrna, GA as good, sound advice. I have admitted to my excessive dry firing in the past. My "A-Zoom" snap caps should arrive today, and I will use them in the future. I will also present my 1996 G19 with a brand new recoil spring assembly after round #75,000 this month. The pistol should outlast me.

One should always dry fire a Glock before field stripping and before putting it away (unloaded).
Have you changed any springs or other parts on your Glock 19?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54   #109
Snarlingiron

Ok, dummy question for the sages amongst us. If one were to use a snap cap, how should it be accomplished? Glock says not to drop a round into the chamber and close the slide due to possible damage to the extractor.

When I dry fire practice I make it a practice to remove all ammunition and magazines from the area. I am guessing I will have to modify my procedure to removing all ammo, loading the snap cap into an otherwise empty magazine, chambering the snap cap, and then proceed to dry fire? Having the magazine in there makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Realizing that plastic snap caps wouldn't damage the extractor, but wouldn't the extractor then damage the rim of the snap cap?

Then on the other hand, if it takes me 10 years to damage the breech face, or whatever, that makes the cost of a new slide what about $15.00 a year (don't really know what a replacement slide would cost)?

Just thinking it through... maybe too much.

Fun thread. Again I find it hard to understand why folks get so riled up. It's your gun, if you want to dry fire it without a snap cap go right ahead. Just don't piss and moan when it eventually causes some damage.

Certifiied Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member
Old 10-01-2010, 13:22   #110
COM165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I didn't have time to read all 5 pages of this thread, but if anyone is still wondering about snap caps vs dummy rounds, go to the bottom of this article: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=4

Thanks for posing this, Butch. It was very helpful. After reading this, I realized that both of the types of rounds that I have been using are "dummy rounds". I thought that the ones with the recessed area where the primer goes were snap caps. I was wrong.

So today I went out and bought some A-Zoom snap caps in .40S&W. They didn't have 9mm or .45ACP, so I'll have to check back. But I feel the difference when I dry fire. One of the dummy rounds I had basically had the same feel of dry firing. When I used the A-Zoom snap caps, I could feel the resistance of the pin striking the primer.
Old 10-01-2010, 13:38   #111
-gunut-

Quote:
Fine, write to Glock and request it. It's no fuzz off my peach if you choose not to accept my information. What matters to me is that I indeed believe my reliable source.

I should know better by now that any posting of reliable information results in a brawl, so I will not trouble you with any more informational posts.
you are such a drama queen. people get all kinds of info from glock so it is normal to question it.

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
Old 10-01-2010, 13:40   #112
GMT
GMT224

Quote:
Fine, write to Glock and request it. It's no fuzz off my peach if you choose not to accept my information. What matters to me is that I indeed believe my reliable source.

I should know better by now that any posting of reliable information results in a brawl, so I will not trouble you with any more informational posts.
Danny, I for one would appreciate if you would continue with the posts as you have in the past. I have learned a great from you over the years and would hate to see that com to an end.
Old 10-01-2010, 15:09   #113
silvrevo

A-Zooms are nice,,,, dont buy the cheap plastic ones,, they dont work,, and splinter.
Old 10-01-2010, 15:44   #114
Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
I have learned a great from you over the years and would hate to see that com to an end.

Don't loose any sleep over it since 2002, when I joined GT, he's been going to quit posting 3 times.

I think, therefore I am, I think?
Old 10-01-2010, 15:45   #115
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
people get all kinds of info from glock so it is normal to question it.
That would be my experience.

I had two guys giving me conflicting information the last time I dealt with them.

Kind of results in zero confidence, but there is no harm in being careful.
Old 10-01-2010, 15:56   #116
Sonnytoo

Quote:

My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
I suspect this answers my question.
sonnytoo
Old 10-01-2010, 21:09   #117
gunsmoke92

Thanks Danny, good info for sure. I am sorry Sir that so many people can't just take good information and say thanks, instead of questioning good peoples motives. Use the information, don't use the information, it's up to the individual, but trying to discredit an individual for providing something useful is just deplorable. It's people like you that get people like us to the next level. Thanks again and keep up the good work.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22   #118
Wriggly

Dry firing Glocks is ok, it really is......

The SHOT ShowCase

The SHOT ShowCase

The after market slide manufacturers will be celebrating, now that Glock has put out a disclaimer.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:02   #119
pistolcompetitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarlingiron View Post
Ok, dummy question for the sages amongst us. If one were to use a snap cap, how should it be accomplished? Glock says not to drop a round into the chamber and close the slide due to possible damage to the extractor.
<snip>
Take the snap cap and chamber it only after loading it in a mag and racking the slide. If you drop it directly into the chamber you risk damaging your extractor claw. One of the GATE guys mentioned this, too.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16074668
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24   #120
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggly View Post
Dry firing Glocks is ok, it really is......

The SHOT ShowCase

The SHOT ShowCase
I am sure this is just a limp wristing problem! http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/sunnies.gif