GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:08   #26
CBH

Shooting my G19....#2 is used for closer targets, but #3 is what I use to hit the steel at 100 yds.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23   #27
jamaicanj

#2 gets my vote
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35   #28
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Usually #2 is the correct sight picture on a pistol, with #3 being your long distance shot since you need to compensate for bullet drop.

In rifle shooting all three would apply.

For example my AR is zeroed in at 25 meters, which means if I don't re adjust anything it will shoot high at say 150 meters, the come back down to zero at around 300 meters, then drop below zero beyond 350.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:42   #29
vmann
Controller

so if you using #2, your not using the dots in the sight, your using the top edge of the frame around the sights...i would think 3, but i dont use the 3 dot sights...if i did, i would line up the 3 dots and put that center dot where i wanted the bullet to hit, at the sighted in range ofcourse, otherwise i would adjust for distance to compensate for bullet drop....

U.S. ARMY
Old 12-20-2010, 06:51   #30
CBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmann View Post
so if you using #2, your not using the dots in the sight, your using the top edge of the frame around the sights...i would think 3, but i dont use the 3 dot sights...if i did, i would line up the 3 dots and put that center dot where i wanted the bullet to hit, at the sighted in range ofcourse, otherwise i would adjust for distance to compensate for bullet drop....
Were you in the Army? If so..did you shoot any hand guns? Have you never heard of the 6 o'clock hold?
http://www.tpub.com/content/advancem.../12018_387.htm
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53   #31
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Shooter View Post
How do you figure? #2 is point of aim and #1 is 6 o clock unless I am badly missing something in which case I would be glad to get an explanation.
Because Glocks sights are fixed, and designed to be used as pic #2. If you use #1 you're POI is going to be low (i.e. you are aiming at the bottom of the target). Fixed sights have no elevation adjustment that would allow you to sight the gun in however you would like. This really is not all that complicated.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:55   #32
Billy10mm

Glock sights are designed for a 6 o'clock hold - image #2 is the correct one for a Glock.
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36   #33
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNg View Post
Glock sights are designed for a 6 o'clock hold - image #2 is the correct one for a Glock.
What???? Image #1 is a 6 o'clock hold, Image #2 is a POA sight picture. Image #2 is the correct one. This thread is going to confuse more people than it's going to do good for.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42   #34
DeltaNu1142
Glock talker

This thread is a comedy of errors... user "Kentucky Shooter" went back & reversed #1 and #2 AFTER being corrected by user "bentbiker". So now if you read "bentbiker"'s correction, it's wrong.

You guys have to take into account the 4th dimension.

Or someone could repost the original image with correct labels...
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54   #35
dvrdwn72

subscribed
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36   #36
JBP55

The correct answer for a combat style pistol is #2.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09   #37
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
It does not matter, so long as you are consistent with where your hold (aim = sight alignment + sight picture) is.

I have a G34 with a Dawson fiber front sight. The fiber tube fell out. When I shoot that gun, I get my sight alignment, then look THRU the hole in the front sight to lock in my sight picture. I generally use #3 to place my hits on the intersecting lines on that type of target.

Here is a recent picture of me shooting a G17 at 50ft. I was aiming for the center of the post-it note, using sight picture #3.

The SHOT ShowCase

^^^
BINGO!!!

My g26 is #2; my g32 is #3.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16   #38
whatsupglock

This post opens a big can of worms. It could be all three. It depends more on which ammo is used in which gun with what barrel. You could shoot the exact same ammo in two different guns and get different results. The best sight picture for you is the one that works for you with the ammo you've used. Sight picture 1 and 2 are both correct depending on how the gun is set up, ie point of impact/point of aim, or pumpkin on post. #3 is compensating for poor technique maybe, but not necessarily.

My Glocks shoot point of aim point of impact like #2 with Warren and Trijicon Sights.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19   #39
Slug71

I always use #2.

#3 seems like it would mostly apply to night sights.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34   #40
Captains1911

This thread is full of failure. If you're a newbie, don't even bother reading it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:37   #41
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupglock View Post
This post opens a big can of worms. It could be all three. It depends more on which ammo is used in which gun with what barrel. You could shoot the exact same ammo in two different guns and get different results. The best sight picture for you is the one that works for you with the ammo you've used. Sight picture 1 and 2 are both correct depending on how the gun is set up, ie point of impact/point of aim, or pumpkin on post. #3 is compensating for poor technique maybe, but not necessarily.

My Glocks shoot point of aim point of impact like #2 with Warren and Trijicon Sights.
You are wrong, there is no can of worms, and it is not all three. Sight picture should not change with ammo. And what do you mean how the gun is setup? The OP is asking about factory glock sights, which are fixed. There is no "setup", it is what it is. For all practical pistol shooting distances and all ammo, it is Image 2. It's that simple. Stop trying to complicate something that is so simple.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:47   #42
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
You are wrong, there is no can of worms, and it is not all three. Sight picture should not change with ammo. And what do you mean how the gun is setup? The OP is asking about factory glock sights, which are fixed. There is no "setup", it is what it is. For all practical pistol shooting distances and all ammo, it is Image 2. It's that simple. Stop trying to complicate something that is so simple.
Quote:
Here is a recent picture of me shooting a G17 at 50ft. I was aiming for the center of the post-it note, using sight picture #3...
And that gun had Glock plastic sights. I put the SIGHTS (actual dot) on what I want to shoot, not the top of the sight.

If it really was "that simple", would we be having a discussion about it?

'Drew
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54   #43
SawgrassRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
This thread is full of failure. If you're a newbie, don't even bother reading it.

Yep.

This thread reminds me of the "My gun shoots left, which way to I move my rear sight?" thread. What a trainwreck that was.

Anyone remember that one?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55   #44
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawgrassRaven View Post
Yep.

This thread reminds me of the "My gun shoots left, which way to I move my rear sight?" thread. What a trainwreck that thread was.

Yes. The gun stays stationary, and you move your body up to make your hits go to the right, except if you are shooting a rifle chambered in a pistol caliber...
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55   #45
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawgrassRaven View Post
Yep.

This thread reminds me of the "My gun shoots left, which way to I move my rear sight?" thread. What a trainwreck that thread was.

I do remember that, and it's exactly what i thought of when this thread was created.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01   #46
Clay1

a couple of things going on here, your number one is what many target shooter use when shooting round bulls eyes for targets. The front sight blade can be made to have a CONSISTANTLY thin line of white light between the black bull and the front sight. Again, many bulleye shooter use this method. Method 2 is what most combat shooters use. Your image 3 is a result of many sights using the 3 dot system or the popularity of the fiber optic inserts. While it is easy to see how you came up with that method the fiber optic inserts were meant to get you on target quickly and were never meant to be a precise aiming method. Just get the damn dot on the targer and pull baby!

The next big thing going on here is sighting in your gun. Just because you have to use one hold or another to get it to print where you want it to doesn't mean that is the preferred method. With adjustable sights, we move the sights so that the correct sight picture is seen and it matches up with the point of impact.

With fixed sights you can still get the sight picture to be correct. The rear sight is drifted one direction or the other for windage, left right movement. When it comes to the front, in the old days if it was too tall you filed the thing down. These days you buy a replacement blade of a different height in order to match your point of impact with your chosen ammo.

Don't think that all ammo will print to the same spot. Sure, at 7 feet it's no big deal, but many IDPA and USPSA matches have target that go to 50 yards and beyond. Sight in your gun with your ammo of choice.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but there is a lot of bull floating around too. Good luck finding good sound examples to learn the right way. A good basic pistol course might be right up your alley.

Rick
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05   #47
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
A good basic pistol course might be right up your alley.

Rick
A good basic pistol course will also teach you that #2 is the correct sight picture.......
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22   #48
Rman 585
Chip Maker

Can anyone tell me what is the BEST Glock is????
What should i use to clean my Glock
Is gen 4 better than gen3......................LOL
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26   #49
Clay1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman 585 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the BEST Glock is????
What should i use to clean my Glock
Is gen 4 better than gen3......................LOL
Now that is damn straight trolling and if you get a bite on that the fishing must be easy.

Good place for a little levity.

Of the course the answer is a G19, Break Free and of course the Gen 4 is better, I just bought one.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:31   #50
Rman 585
Chip Maker

Right on needed some levity .....But I say G34....Hoppes #9.....and gen 3