Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2010, 15:09   #61
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
There's always a way.....

The SHOT ShowCase
I know that there's a way, but that's not what the OP is asking about.
Old 12-20-2010, 16:21   #62
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post

Just about every Glock I have shot out of the box, didn't shoot the same way; therefore, you had to compensate. Recently my 26 & 32 shot differently out of the box with fixed sights, as stated earlier...I had to adjust to the sights.

Even after replacing the sights on my 26 with Trijicon NS, it shot the same. My 32 came with Glock NS.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
Old 12-20-2010, 16:31   #63
tango44

#2 of course!
Old 12-20-2010, 16:33   #64
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
What the hell am I missing here? How do you sight in a gun for elevation when there are no elevation adjustments? I think a lot of confusion in this thread is due to the fact that the OP is talking about standard factory glock sights, not some other type of "iron" sighting system where the shooter does have the ability to adjust the sight picture to his preference.

Well what are you talking about? The OP did not ask about elevation. To shoot any Glock with fixed factory sights (or any generic handgun with fixed sights for that matter), what you do is aim higher if you target is @ an elevation above yours (ie, point the gun at the target).

If you're talking about adjusting the "hold" or changing the sight picture to compensate for bullet drop, you change the relationship between the front/rear sights. Instead of the top of the front sight being flush with the rears ("equal height, equal light"), the front sight is canted up.

If this is not what yer asking, could you clarify please?

'Drew
Old 12-20-2010, 16:49   #65
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Just about every Glock I have shot out of the box, didn't shoot the same way.......
Exactly!

Like all too many people, the OP seems to expect the gun to be perfectly sighted in as it comes out of the box, and ya just need to find out how to align the sights to make it hit 'right', but that's not the case.

He's right about needing to learn how to align the sights 'correctly', but like nearly every other gun, Glocks do not always hit to the same point of aim as the next one does, and the user needs to sight it in to shoot the way he wants it to.

Glocks manufacturing process is VERY consistent though, and they do tend to shoot very close to the point of aim as they come out of the box, so close that they, if anything, normally only need a very little drifting of the rear sight, or on rare occasions, a rear sight that is only a fraction of a millimeter higher or lower to get the job done.

IF a person is new to Glocks, they may well be shooting 4 to 6 inches low and left, which is why they are asking about how to align the sights thinking the gun may not be shooting straight.....but we all know what the real problem is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 12-20-2010, 16:57   #66
chukb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
I always use #2.

#3 seems like it would mostly apply to night sights.
i always use #2 too but why would it be any different with night sights?
Walther P22
Old 12-20-2010, 17:41   #67
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukb View Post
i always use #2 too but why would it be any different with night sights?
Well i guess it wouldnt be, but if it was dark, youd just be making sure your dots are in line and point them at your target as best you can.
Since you cant really see the cross in #3, for me personally thats how i would aim in the dark. Just a personal thing i guess.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 12-20-2010, 18:23   #68
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

#2.

Old 12-20-2010, 18:33   #69
windplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
Well what are you talking about? The OP did not ask about elevation. To shoot any Glock with fixed factory sights (or any generic handgun with fixed sights for that matter), what you do is aim higher if you target is @ an elevation above yours (ie, point the gun at the target).
OK I got it.

But what if the target it so my left?

Quote:

'Drew
I now know where Mitch took up his new residence
Old 12-20-2010, 18:37   #70
MarkTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Just about every Glock I have shot out of the box, didn't shoot the same way; therefore, you had to compensate. Recently my 26 & 32 shot differently out of the box with fixed sights, as stated earlier...I had to adjust to the sights...

Exactly.

I guess, for the OP, it might be nice to have an idea what Glock sets their sights up to do. But unless you shoot the same ammo they use for this setup -its a moot point. You just have to bench the gun and figure out what that gun with those sights and ammo are doing on target. Then decide if you want to adjust your technique to fit that combo or make some changes to the sights.

I rarely even shoot a new Glock with the sights the factory provides. I often have a new sight set ordered before I take the new gun to the range
Mark in TX (.40 club #32)
IDPA Classifications:
CDP/EX (via bump at TX State 2010),
ESP/EX (via bump at Nationals 2010),
SSP/EX (via classifier).
Old 12-20-2010, 18:44   #71
Captains1911

Quote:

If you're talking about adjusting the "hold" or changing the sight picture to compensate for bullet drop, you change the relationship between the front/rear sights. Instead of the top of the front sight being flush with the rears ("equal height, equal light"), the front sight is canted up.

'Drew
I give up.
Old 12-20-2010, 18:58   #72
SomeDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman 585 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the BEST Glock is????
What should i use to clean my Glock
Is gen 4 better than gen3......................LOL
Wrong thread - that belongs in Glockdude's "Tittles of threads sure to be locked".

As for my 2 cents, #2 is what I use. While I am no sharp shooter, i do tend to hit what I'm aiming at with that. I use #3 when the target is much further out.
G1 Niner/Sub Club?California Glockers/Tactical Shotgun #86
Old 12-20-2010, 19:08   #73
varoadking
King of G'dness

Quote:
Image #2 is a POA sight picture. Image #2 is the correct one.
This ^^^^
Old 12-20-2010, 19:19   #74
glock2740
Gun lover.

I wish Hickock45 would chime in, because I'd really be interested in hearing what he had to say about it.
Old 12-20-2010, 22:11   #75
CynicX

I shoot my 1911 #2, this is the way I prefer it too be.

Unfortunately my G32 shoots #3 from 7' to 30+ yards. I dont really care for covering the target like that but its the way it shoots.

Oddly enough I just figured it shot low. I let a friend shoot it and he was running a tight group around the bullseye. I asked him how he shot and he said cover the target with the front sight (#3) like I was an idiot. That the way I've been shooting, seems to work...
Old 12-20-2010, 22:31   #76
Wake County Glockman

The one in the middle sight picture #2

When seconds count the Police are just minutes away
Old 12-20-2010, 22:34   #77
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicX View Post
Unfortunately my G32 shoots #3 from 7' to 30+ yards. I dont really care for covering the target like that but its the way it shoots.
So, why don't you put a higher rear sight on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:27   #78
Captains1911

So I guess the final answer is, it should be Image #2 by design and intent, as every handgun with non adjustable sights that I have ever owned or shot has been, but some guns may be defective and therefore will require either Image #1 or #3.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26   #79
ZombieKing

Which picture do you use if you're holding the gun sideways gangsta style?
;)
Old 12-21-2010, 10:13   #80
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
So I guess the final answer is, it should be Image #2 by design and intent, as every handgun with non adjustable sights that I have ever owned or shot has been, but some guns may be defective and therefore will require either Image #1 or #3.
Except for the last part, I think that's a fair assessment.

I don't agree that a Glock is 'defective' because it doesn't shoot to point of aim as it leaves the factory.

The shooter has a lot of input as to where the gun shoots, primarily the shooters vision and ability to control recoil can affect the guns point of impact, but how the shooter aligns the sights can have a huge affect. That's why the shooter needs to sight the gun in to fit him and his shooting style and ability.

If we were talking about S&W Model 10 revolvers or SAA Colts, it would be a lot less reasonable for shooters to 'sight them in' because they really do have fixed sights, but Glock sights can be moved/replaced easily enough to get the point of impact right where the shooter wants it to be.

NRA Life Member