Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:52   #21
doktarZues
I'm anti-anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Realistically, how much range do you think you actually gain?

Since the 5.56 weapons are typically more accurate, and recoil less, as well as accept scopes better, I would challenge that while the 7.62 carries more energy, the 5.56 is probably going to be the more effective choice at most distances. Especially considering the general lack of accuracy I see from most shooters, I don't think the majority could employ a 7.62 rifle well enough to enjoy the slight ballistic advantage is brings to the table.

Secondly, what good is penetration really in terms of a SHTF rifle? I know people toss around how a 7.62 will go through a cinder block, and a 5.56 won't. But in all my years as a soldier, I've yet to see someone shoot through a wall to get to the guy on the other side. Typically, if you can't see them, you can't hit them. Plus most things that stop 5.56, will stop 7.62. The notable exception being some body armor that will stop 7.62 ball, will not stop some various flavors of 5.56.
Realistically you gain a more effective round at all ranges. I totally agree that for the average shooter asking "do I need an MBR" the ballistic advantage will be minimal. For those that have trained and are limited primary by their equipment, they're gaining an additional couple of hundred effective yards.

I completely disagree with "what good is penetration". Glass, car doors, interior walls, fences, debris, etc., penetration is a HUGE factor in almost any battlefield scenario.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:57   #22
doby

r u aware that 223 AR-15's beat 308 autorifles at 1000 yd matches, every weekend, dudes? Just Google for NRA matches, ask at CSP forums, or AR-15.com. Baloney on the penetration, because you ain got Uncle Sugar to bring you more ammo, and baill you out if you bite off more than you can chew. The REAL pros gave up on the 308 rifle for the military, 40 odd years ago. Only armchair commandoes on the Net claim that it's still useful enough to be general issue. At best, it's a specialized item, like a grenade launcher.
Old 01-01-2011, 13:01   #23
Smashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
The MBR, or battle rifle topic is all over the web.

Just curious... where are you seeing all these MBR discussions you referred to?
Old 01-01-2011, 13:04   #24
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
"Need" should be deleted from any self-respecting gun owner's vocabulary.
Old 01-01-2011, 13:07   #25
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doby View Post
r u aware that 223 AR-15's beat 308 autorifles at 1000 yd matches, every weekend, dudes? Just Google for NRA matches, ask at CSP forums, or AR-15.com. Baloney on the penetration, because you ain got Uncle Sugar to bring you more ammo, and baill you out if you bite off more than you can chew. The REAL pros gave up on the 308 rifle for the military, 40 odd years ago. Only armchair commandoes on the Net claim that it's still useful enough to be general issue. At best, it's a specialized item, like a grenade launcher.

That's EXACTLY why snipers use 5.56. I am not saying a MBR is the best thing for Joe, just that you are using a very broad brush when you compare punching paper with 1000 yd shots against Haji.
Old 01-01-2011, 13:22   #26
GAFinch

Quote:
You can only get that kind of accuracy from AR-15's by using 80 or 90 grain bullets, which have to be hand cycled. Hard to compare a single shot gun to a true auto-loading .308 for defensive purposes.
Old 01-01-2011, 13:40   #27
G27RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
"Need" should be deleted from any self-respecting gun owner's vocabulary.
Worth repeating.
Old 01-01-2011, 13:46   #28
G27RR

Quote:
At best, it's a specialized item, like a grenade launcher.
Not so sure a grenade launcher is such a specialized weapon these days. My brother carried an M203 on his rifle while he was in the sandbox, and he was a medic. Granted he was with a scout unit, but still....

Both 5.56 and 7.62 have their place. Different rounds for different purposes. I have and like both chamberings in the AR format.

Buy one (or more) of your choosing and enjoy it.

The SHOT ShowCase
Old 01-01-2011, 13:58   #29
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
You can only get that kind of accuracy from AR-15's by using 80 or 90 grain bullets, which have to be hand cycled. Hard to compare a single shot gun to a true auto-loading .308 for defensive purposes.
Actually, thats not always correct. In many of the service rifle matches, the pace is such that a hand cycled AR-15 will not make it. Quite a few of those rounds are shot with 70 grain match ammo.

The fact is, the AR is simply more accurate than the 7.62 Service rifles out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWide View Post
The difference being that the 7.62x51 will have probably 2.5x the energy at that distance and for paper that doesn't matter.

It's a just different philosophies. I still know more people who hunt with deer with a .308 or .30-06 caliber than a .223. Some of that may tradition, some maybe deer size (northern state)
But energy doesn't kill something you miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktarZues View Post
Realistically you gain a more effective round at all ranges. I totally agree that for the average shooter asking "do I need an MBR" the ballistic advantage will be minimal. For those that have trained and are limited primary by their equipment, they're gaining an additional couple of hundred effective yards.

I completely disagree with "what good is penetration". Glass, car doors, interior walls, fences, debris, etc., penetration is a HUGE factor in almost any battlefield scenario.

Like I said, with the exception of auto glass or car doors, which really isn't much of a barrier to center fired rifles, I've never seen anyone intentionally shoot through a barrier to get a target on the other side. You wait for him to come around the barrier and engage him.

I've spent quite a bit of time on the modern battlefield, and I haven't seen a whole lot of we need to shoot through x to kill the target scenarios. Mostly a we need to hit the target to kill the target scenarios.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 01-01-2011, 14:12   #30
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

You need two.
Old 01-01-2011, 14:23   #31
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Since I don't hunt anymore I really don't NEED any rifle but a good shotgun might come in real handy.
Old 01-01-2011, 14:29   #32
John Biltz

Todays ARs are probably more accurate than the 7.62 rifles they replaced. That was not true a few decades ago but its true today from what I have read. Saying that, M4 type ARs are not. But those 20 inch ARs get a lot more out of 5.56. That is the platform, as far as the round goes 5.56 while accurate does not carry a lot of power out real far like a 7.62 does but it will hit out that far. When I bought an AR I went with 6.5. Eventually I'm going to take the aimpoint off it and put a scope on it, pick up a 5.56 upper and put the Aimpoint on that. My eyes are so old and bad I can't really get enough out of the 6.5 for the added expense of shooting it with the red dot. I need a scope.
Old 01-01-2011, 14:29   #33
carguy2244

Quote:

The fact is, the AR is simply more accurate than the 7.62 Service rifles out there.
Can you provide documentation that a 556 round is inherently more accurate than a 308.
My experience, while anectodal, contradicts your claim.
I'd like to see proof.
Old 01-01-2011, 14:30   #34
doktarZues
I'm anti-anti

Quote:
I've spent quite a bit of time on the modern battlefield, and I haven't seen a whole lot of we need to shoot through x to kill the target scenarios. Mostly a we need to hit the target to kill the target scenarios.
This conversation is heading south but I too have spent some time on the modern battlefield including at least one scenario each where I wished I had a 7.62x51 and I wished I had better cover. While I mostly agree with what you're saying I refuse to concede that penetration is not a huge variable to consider in ALL battlefield scenarios, including "modern ones".

I don't even own an "MBR" so honestly I don't have a dog in this fight, I just think you're cleverly arguing semantics to support your opinion that an AR/AK is clearly the better choice when in fact there is merit to operating a 7.62x51. Whether the pros outweigh the cons is up to the individual but you need to give credit where it's due.
Old 01-01-2011, 14:46   #35
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

I think anytime you get shot at, you wish for better cover.

However, I'm not arguing the AR/AK, or AR/AK/Whatever MBR vs another. What I'm saying is penetration is nice, but I've yet to see a real scenario where shots were intentionally fired through a barrier to reach a target on the other side. I have certainly fired plently of ammo at walls, and rocks to keep the guy on the other sides' head down, but I've never intentionally tried to shoot through something that was providing cover, with the intention of killing the guy on the other side. Nor do I have knowledge of it happening.

I think penetration is a good thing, and in an ideal situation, I would choose the bullet that penetrates more, so long as it doesn't give up anything to get that performance. The problem with many 308 MBR's is they give up accuracy, for the increased energy of the cartridge.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 01-01-2011, 14:50   #36
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
Can you provide documentation that a 556 round is inherently more accurate than a 308.
My experience, while anectodal, contradicts your claim.
I'd like to see proof.

I don't, nor did I say I think the 5.56 is more accurate than the 7.62, or 308.

I said the AR is more accurate than the 7.62 service rifles out there. Its a platform difference, not a cartridge difference. If you go to a bolt gun, I think the 5.56 might hold an edge inside 300, maybe as far as 350-400m but between 4-600m the 308 definitely has the advantage.

If you want proof that the AR is more accurate than the M1a/other service rifles, proof lies no further than Camp Perry, and the rest of the Service Rife matches.

Old 01-01-2011, 14:56   #37
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
If you want proof that the AR is more accurate than the M1a/other service rifles, proof lies no further than Camp Perry, and the rest of the Service Rife matches.

While I agree the AR platform is more inherently accurate than say the M1, I also think the AR holds a huge advantage in ergonomics for the sustained strings.

Holding at 10lb rifle up for that long is a *****!
Old 01-01-2011, 15:05   #38
rem2429

First I think you need an AR, as I feel it is a much more versatile platform. If you need more power you get an MBR. In the military, if you need more power, you have many more options.

A good, modern .308 is practically accurate, and undoubtedly more powerful. An iron sighted FAL v. an AR with optics is a dumb comparison. The best role for the caliber in my mind is more the DMR, rather than simply MBR, and I see the military going to more powerful chamberings for sniper rifles.

We switched from the 7.62 to the 5.56 because hits matter, but an AR in 7.62, or new SCAR H with optics is a much easier platform to hit with than the old school standards. Perhaps it is still easier to hit with the smaller caliber, but the differences are less than in the past and can be improved, in both instances, with better training, optics, and ammunition. I think that is why we are seeing a new intrest in these types of weapons, and I cannot see the niche going away. For the needs of the civilian, other considerations must be taken into account.
Old 01-01-2011, 15:10   #39
.45Super-Man

This talk of AR accuracy @ extended ranges is ridiculous. Someone is forgetting to mention that they're referencing tuned, match AR's with optics not found on battle rifles. Furthermore, best to avoid the subject of how the feeble 223's exterior ballistics look when shooting at extended ranges AND in adverse conditions. You may be able to pry off a hubcap with a pocket knife, however this doesnt make it the right tool for the job. And as for "snipers using the 5.56".........
Old 01-01-2011, 15:12   #40
rca256

Quote:
The REAL pros gave up on the 308 rifle for the military, 40 odd years ago. Only armchair commandoes on the Net claim that it's still useful enough to be general issue. At best, it's a specialized item, like a grenade launcher.
You are so full of ****, doby.

"Hey, let's be careful out there." - Hill Street Blues (1981)